Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldo
    !!!

I forget the name, but it's on the north face of Mt. Temple in the Canadian Rockies. (I think Trackhead knows the name.)

As seen from the ski slopes at Lake Louise.

It's called the Aemmer colouir. It's steeper and tighter than 3/4 colouir on Moraine. Even better, it doesn't have the rockfall danger 3/4 does.

Mntlion, didn't you ski the line down the front of Cascade? If you ask me that should be in this category. Guess it's not a true colouir though.

Aside from the rules I think the clear winner is the south face of denali.
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

From www.395.com
    "Broken Finger Peak 13,280+ Scheelite Couloir
    This couloir arguably has the most drop of all the Sierra Chutes. The total drop to the exit in Pine Creek canyon is 4800' but the 45° main chute is about 2500' with the lower half at a 35° pitch in a lovely and spacious gully. The upper couloir is steep and tight, but never has a lip since it faces east. Access is at the crest of the Pine Creek Canyon road just prior to Scheelite along the power line. Look for the biggest chute you ever saw on the right."

This one is on my list for sure
    Last edited by KillingCokes; 12-09-2005 at 01:09 AM.

Originally Posted by covert
    how much vert on the fuhrer finger?
    standard camp is at ~9,800ft and summit is at 14,400ft but much of it may not be skiable. and the wilson glacier leading up to standard camp is too broken to ski.
    Mom! The meatloaf! FUCK!.

the local stuff here isn't real long but this one definitely get's the 40* and pushes the 1500'.
    off your knees Louie

I kinda like SFB because I can see it from all over the county, a vertical slash of snow. Very pretty.

Coming in from the top is freaky, much tougher than the skiing. I'd like to do it again, from the bottom and see how fast I can sprint up with crampons.

Cool thread, although I have to say I don't have couloirs on my mind right now. Powder turns and hucks and teaching grommets over their Christmas holiday.

Quote Originally Posted by KillingCokes
    From www.395.com
    This couloir arguably has the most drop of all the Sierra Chutes. The total drop to the exit in Pine Creek canyon is 4800' but the 45° main chute is about 2500' with the lower half at a 35° pitch in a lovely and spacious gully. The upper couloir is steep and tight, but never has a lip since it faces east. Access is at the crest of the Pine Creek Canyon road just prior to Scheelite along the power line. Look for the biggest chute you ever saw on the right."
    You always have the coolest ideas!

Awesome thread.
    I was gonna add Diagonal Couloir near Jackson, but the pics from WYsplitride's awesome TR are no longer there:
    http://tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29091

Is there an acceptable definition of "Couloir"???

To me, an essential part of a coulie is having rock walls on either side of you, feeling the rock and the mountain envelope and enclose you.
    A narrow ribbon of snow not surrounded by rock walls would be more of a "chute" to me.
    Not sure where I got that distinction other than by observation of named routes.
    I could be wrong. Just wondering if there is any consensus.

The french word "couloir" is actually the word for hallway, implying narrow with two walls, but when it was first used in mountain climbing in the 19th century, the meaning was more "passageway" (hey, I looked that up on the web).
    . . .

don't know if this is technically a couloir or a ramp, but she's a beauty...

Meteorite

Copyright: Odin
    "When restraint and courtesy are added to strength, the latter becomes irresistible."
    Mohandas Gandhi

The Wire, Telluride

San Joaquin Chute, Telluride

Snake Couloir, Mt. Sneffels
    Let me lock in the system at Warp 2
    Push it on into systematic overdrive
    You know what to do

^^^Those above me are the hot sauce, as was the Mt. Temple Coulior.

But SFB? Come on....that coulior is way too accessible in my opinion, may as well be considered inbounds, not too difficult and way too many people have done it. I personally enjoy exploring just about any mountain range in colorado during the late spring. There is just so much to be skied, so somewhere, anywhere from colorado gets my vote as long as its deep in the rockies.

Quote Originally Posted by BRUTAH
    But SFB? Come on....that coulior is way too accessible in my opinion, may as well be considered inbounds, not too difficult and way too many people have done it. I personally enjoy exploring just about any mountain range in colorado during the late spring. There is just so much to be skied, so somewhere, anywhere from colorado gets my vote as long as its deep in the rockies.
    Everything you say is a given.

But have you done SFB and then rode A Basin chairs and twisted your arm off from patting yourself on the back?

The proximity makes it a backyard run and that's pretty cool in itself. Don't you like to look around you at all the various lines you've skied? Your neighborhood lines?

Terminal Cancer

Only 45 minutes from the city of sin; Elko,NV. Check out "Super Cooly" in the Track TGR Archives...

Quote Originally Posted by KillingCokes
    From www.395.com

This one is on my list for sure
    It's about freaking time this showed up!! I've attempted this monster twice only to get blocked by cliffs b/c of not enough snow each time. Never got into the upper part of this but it looks awsome. One thing though, there was more natural rockfall here than any other place I've been to. Nothing big but a constant rain of fist sized rocks every 30 sec. or so. Kinda unnerving to say the least.

Soooo many more eastside giants to list...
    Everything in the Palisades (including one at entrance to S. fork Big Pine Creek I skied once)
    Everything on Mt. Emmerson
    Wahoo Gullies
    the list goes on...
    "Great barbecue makes you want to slap your granny up the side of her head." - Southern Saying

Quote Originally Posted by SheRa
    Everything you say is a given.

But have you done SFB and then rode A Basin chairs and twisted your arm off from patting yourself on the back?

The proximity makes it a backyard run and that's pretty cool in itself. Don't you like to look around you at all the various lines you've skied? Your neighborhood lines?
    Ski what you see!!! I'm working my way down the front range. I've done about 3 of the 30 or so mountains I can see from my house. Almost there!!

Does anyone else feel so much more comfortable inside a couloir, rather than on an exposed ridge. I know I do, the rock walls are like a blanket of volcanic composition.
    Last edited by Ireallyliketoski; 12-09-2005 at 09:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TOLOCOMan
    Mntlion, didn't you ski the line down the front of Cascade? If you ask me that should be in this category. Guess it's not a true colouir though.
    not really a col, but still long, fun and steep

from the summit go left down the ridge to the false summit, turn down and follow the avi path to the road.
    4000ft of skiing.

Its a bit of a stretch to call it the best in North America, but its definately the best one day-trippable from my house:

I can't find a picture of it but University Peak (somewhere in Alaska) has a positively stunning line on it that was skied a few years ago by John Chilton and company.

I have to agree with Trackhead as well. Skillet Glacier. The new rule should be best couloir in north america that you have skied/snowboarded

Mt. Moran, Skillet Glacier

My second favorite in north america is the Diagonal Couloir (2000 vert, 45-50 degrees, plus you have to worry about grizzly bears chasing your ass..I know from experience) in the Pinnacles (Wyo)

view from the top of Dcouloir:

the drop

Quote Originally Posted by Tap
    The Wire, Telluride

Ha, nice picture of Lance!

Ellingwood couloir on the Middle Teton, or the Northeast couloir/Molar tooth couloir on the Grand Teton. Larger pucker factor associated with these two.

I hope John Scurlockdoesn't mind me grabbing one of his photos:

This one on Swiss Peak in the Cascades looks pretty sweet, drops about 2000ft. Looks a little bony in spots, but he took this last spring, the worst season in 50 years or whatever.

surprised that Bell Cord hasn't shown up yet. Or did it, and I missed it?
    Sweet coolie off N face of Grizzly over by Aspen as well. On the tick list for this spring.
    Thrutchworthy Production Services

Quote Originally Posted by SIIHP
    Just cause SFB was mentioned with no pic...

Does anyone have photos from inside SFB? Particularly the pinches? I'd like to get on this in the Spring and want to have a sense of the terrain.

Also, what's the best approach?

ive got some pics from the SFBs inside, but sadly none on digital camera, or a way to scan them onto the comp. The route is skiiable come march almost every year, there is one main crux in the middle where it pushes 50 degrees(that is if i know how to use my OLD inclinometer correctly), and is just wide enough to make turns. Ski patrol at A basin usually hits this line first with a group of 3-5 earlier than anyone else would tempt that avalanche death trap, so wait to see some tracks coming from the bottom unless youve got a whole lot of experience avi wise and the experience to make the decision on your own. you fall, you die so be careful.
    PS- first descent was roped for the crux

Red face

Tracks in a couloir indicate that it's safe

SFB is a fun ski. There are no technical moves once you get into the couloir and the average pitch is maybe pushing mid 30s. The crux is typically about 10-15 feet wide, so nothing to worry about. You can boot up it or climb up the looker's left shoulder to ridgeline. Traversing the ridgetop above is probably the most difficult part of the whole day. Ascent and descent shouldn't take more than 4 hours round trip. Really straightforward and basic. It looks much steeper and intimidating than it really is.
    Last edited by iskibc; 12-09-2005 at 11:35 AM.