Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ireallyliketoski
    The best couloir in north america has to be the 2nd chute at A-Basin.
    i think you mean "second notch" at a-basin. excellent line but way out of it's league here

where's james peak? front range?
    North of idaho springs off fall river road.

Last edited by nealric; 12-08-2005 at 07:32 PM.
    "Verily, my folly has grown tall in the mountains." - Fredrich Nietzsche, Thus Spoke Zarathustra

Quote Originally Posted by covert
    i think you mean "second notch" at a-basin. excellent line but way out of it's league here
    You are incorrect, I said and meant 2nd Chute at A-Basin, the greatest couloir in North America.

Superstar couloir, I've gazed down on that before, it looks like you make one turn and then fall off a 1,000 foot cliff. Awesome.

The best couloir in north america has to be the 2nd chute at A-Basin.

especially the ill ice/rock entrance....so fucking buttery...

Attachment 8800

cheating but...do you know this place?

You are incorrect, I said and meant 2nd Chute at A-Basin, the greatest couloir in North America.
    my aren't we feisty, must be the commute up i70, well known for it's big couloirs...

2nd Chute at A-Basin

Quote Originally Posted by covert
    my aren't we feisty, must be the commute up i70, well known for it's big couloirs...
    You are right, I was rude, please accept my apology.

Quote Originally Posted by MOHSHSIHd
    especially the ill ice/rock entrance....so fucking buttery...
    I usually just put my skis on at the top of the hike, head down the ridge, and bank a hard left hand turn and air out the top 40-50 feet of ice.

Fuhrer Finger-Mt. Rainier

Quote Originally Posted by powder11
    this ones on my wish list:

australian couloir
    Where's that?
    Let's organize a group assualt for later this year. Not kidding either, completely serious. You just added another to the ticker for this season.
    Epic.

Kieners Route, Longs Peak. It's still waiting for a 1st descent. Trackhead, I know this will make you twitch. Still waiting for the right conditions. Last May the route was in it's prime for a ski descent. Haven't seen it look so good in many years.

It's the route in red:

Last edited by iskibc; 12-08-2005 at 07:52 PM.

I usually just put my skis on at the top of the hike, head down the ridge, and bank a hard left hand turn and air out the top 40-50 feet of ice.
    If you dont throw a 1260 off it you arent even close to core.
    "Verily, my folly has grown tall in the mountains." - Fredrich Nietzsche, Thus Spoke Zarathustra

It's way too easy to get to, but always fun...

Quote Originally Posted by BanditXXX
    Fuhrer Finger-Mt. Rainier
    how much vert on the fuhrer finger?

Superstar is a bad mutha. I have turned back on that several times. The huge cornice at the top and the nail biting exposure is gripping. Got into one of the unnamed coulies off James a couple years ago and let's just say it got interesting. Wrong turn and you are going for a 400' cascade ride. There's some scary lines on that peak. Great snow climbs though.

Quote Originally Posted by iskibc
    Kieners Route, Longs Peak. Still waiting for a 1st descent. Trackhead, I know this will make you twitch. Still waiting for the right conditions. Last May the route was in it's prime for a ski descent. Haven't seen it look so good in many years.

It's the route in red:

Yo g, how much of that route do you think you could ski vs. what you'd have to rap down or downclimb.

I would imagine from the summit you could ski down to the step around over the diamond, but then you'd need to rap down to the staircase.

The staircase would obviously be awesome skiing down to the kiener's chimney's. But you'd probably have to rap down the chimneys down to broad way ledges. Walk over to Lambs slide, then descend down to Mills.

What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Atrain505
    Where's that?
    Let's organize a group assualt for later this year. Not kidding either, completely serious. You just added another to the ticker for this season.
    Epic.
    Joffre Lake right off the Duffy. I know squirrel is up for this one too. Lets do it.
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature... Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. -Helen Keller

Quote Originally Posted by Camel Toad
    chugach...the obvious one just right of center
    wicked, tough to compete with ak down here in the lower 48. how much vert?

Yo g, how much of that route do you think you could ski vs. what you'd have to rap down or downclimb.

I would imagine from the summit you could ski down to the step around over the diamond, but then you'd need to rap down to the staircase.

The staircase would obviously be awesome skiing down to the kiener's chimney's. But you'd probably have to rap down the chimneys down to broad way ledges. Walk over to Lambs slide, then descend down to Mills.

What do you think?
    I would expect to be on belay for about 60% of the time. I guess it depends on how you define "skiing". I bet that I could keep skis on my feet the entire way with a little help of some ropes. Dawson thinks it can be done. But then again everyone thinks he's an arrogent asshole. I'm going to keep it on my wish list. If the day never comes, no big deal. If the right conditions allow, I'll give it a try. I'm just wondering how much protection I would need on a winter/spring try.

wow this is fukin gnarly!

I wonder what Bob Mc thinks!
    Points on their own sitting way up high

Thumbs up

Great thread - my mouth is watering...
    Looks like a trip north is in place

Closer look at the Superstar - the mandatory air looked fairly decent sized last May:

Couloir du Gnar - on an unnamed 11720 foot monster peak near James Peak

Attachment 8803

this ain't it obviously but anybody skied the snake on sneffels?

australian couloir I got all excited earlier about a line on Mount Currie. Now that is two sweet lines in the same area. Looking for a place to go in the next three weeks. any recent photos of these lines. any locals been tracking them?
    off your knees Louie

killer thread..... anybody got any pictures of the Naked Lady Couloir in SW Colorado? thats a fun one, but by no means the best in N.A.