Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Wearing Beacons all the time while skiing

just thinking out loud

back when I was a kid NOBODY wore helmets while free-skiing, well maybe a couple of kids with what seemed at the time to be "overprotective" parents or if you were a racer.

Fast forward 20 years and it seems like everybody skis with a helmet on. I personally feel naked not wearing a lid.

Is this ever gonna happen with beacons? I'm actually thinking about wearing my new beacon everytime I ski, even if I'm only skiing inbounds at Killington. That way it just becomes habit to throw it on whenever I go out. I mean the drawback is only the fact that you're gonna go through more batteries, right?
    For sure, you have to be lost to find a place that can't be found, elseways everyone would know where it was

Quote Originally Posted by laseranimal
    just thinking out loud

back when I was a kid NOBODY wore helmets while free-skiing, well maybe a couple of kids with what seemed at the time to be "overprotective" parents or if you were a racer.

Fast forward 20 years and it seems like everybody skis with a helmet on. I personally feel naked not wearing a lid.

Is this ever gonna happen with beacons? I'm actually thinking about wearing my new beacon everytime I ski, even if I'm only skiing inbounds at Killington. That way it just becomes habit to throw it on whenever I go out. I mean the drawback is only the fact that you're gonna go through more batteries, right?
    Well, skiing with a beacon at kmart is kind of retarded. But it can't hurt i guess.

I seem to always be wearing mine while skiing. Not always turned on, but usually my day involves something not technically inbounds. On a deep day ill turn it on all day just in case.
    Drive slow, homie.

I've learned that you should at least carry it in your pack, you never know what kind of shit your are going to get into. You might miss out if you don't have all your gear with you.
    "Can't vouch for him, though he seems normal via email."

That sounds kinda like overkill. How many inbounds slides has Killington had?

That said, my buddies and I do wear them on powder days at the resort. I think it is smarter to rely on yourself and your friends.....that presuming that Patrol will always be there to help.
    Donjoy to the World!

ski with a shovel and probe too?
    i am going that way for sure.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson
    ski with a shovel and probe too?
    i am going that way for sure.
    Yeah. If yer wearing a pack, your shovel and probe are in there. And if you are wearing pack, you are wearing your beacon. And if you have a pack on without a shovel and probe in it, then you are just weird.
    Drive slow, homie.

Quote Originally Posted by Z
    Yeah. If yer wearing a pack, your shovel and probe are in there. And if you are wearing pack, you are wearing your beacon. And if you have a pack on without a shovel and probe in it, then you are just weird.
    well, my point was, beeping w/o shovel/probe is semi retarded...

well maybe not. fuck everyone else.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

yup. I was agreeing with ya. Digging someone out with your hands? Not so effective.
    Drive slow, homie.

Quote Originally Posted by Huckwheat
    That sounds kinda like overkill. How many inbounds slides has Killington had?
    none

that was kinda my question, even though I know its overkill why not just get used to it so it doesn't feel like overkill any more
    For sure, you have to be lost to find a place that can't be found, elseways everyone would know where it was

Quote Originally Posted by laseranimal
    none

that was kinda my question, even though I know its overkill why not just get used to it so it doesn't feel like overkill any more
    Just think how rad you'll look at apres!

Seriously, I've transmitted on huge inbounds dump days (like a 3-footer at Wolfie), and if I know I'm heading out of the gates into slide terrain, I'll obviously wear all the gear. Using pack/beacon/shovel/probe for an average day (even with sidecountry shots in the trees): overkill. But at least you look like a badass in the liftline.

I wear mine to the grocery store. I look rad.

Quote Originally Posted by iskibc
    Are you the most extreme skier in your office?

(beeping at the water cooler = so hot right now)
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I bring all of my equipment on the bus.

Not really, but if it has snowed a lot and/or I am in the backcountry it comes with me.

Quote Originally Posted by iskibc
    iski could probably be involved in a slide at the grocery though...
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra
    Are you the most extreme skier in your office?

(beeping at the water cooler = so hot right now)
    To the extreme brah! I also dangle my goggles from my rearview mirror. Makes me look core.

amateurs. I wear my T1's grocery shopping and I'm broadcasting on 457 24/7.

How many days do stay inbounds all day?.......unless it's killington boiler

The last year I lived in Killington I saw lower O- slide 03/ maybe!
    Honestly, a can of mace or a hand gun would make more sense than a beacon at Killingtime!

it's nice to have one but if i'm skiing solo on a pow day i'd rather have my beacon on than have to decide if i want to ride with a big pack on a full tram. i'd like to have it all but i've seen too many inbounds slides to not atleast have the beacon. this may be more specific to the west but whatever.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    spending +$200 for a device that could save your life and not wearing it just doesn't make a lot of sense (avvy condition dependent).
    At soli most all the goods are accessed from summit. So having your pack and gear on you or @ the patrol shack when the gates drop means your ready to roll. It kind of surprises me the number of people who are willing to hike up 10 to 15 min sidecountry bootpacks w/ out safety gear. Sure patrol runs control routes on some of this terrain, but thats not failsafe and if shit happens I guess they figure the avvy dog or patrol luggin a recco receiver will drop out of the sky and it will all be good.
    I guess I am just a gear slut but a lot of times the most awesome powder runs are a matter of being in the right spot at the right time with the right gear.
    I cant ever recall the parking lot/village as being in the right spot so I like to roll with my gear. Just having fresh gloves or extra goggles and a thermos full of hot bev. makes luggin a pack worth it.
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

I have always worn mine in bounds any time it could slide. but bridger really got me in the habit of always having my shovel probe and beacon with me.

when i worked at snowbird and drove down the canyon every night i was tempted to wear mine on the drive home from work a few times.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Ben Franklin

Depends where I'm skiing.

Most days at Crystal I wear mine. Same with Baker.

Very different back in CO though. I hardly ever worn one. Way back when when the lifts were running at Berthoud I did. Otherwises...I only would wear it if I thought I may end up going OB.

Just recieve my new Mammut to replace my Tracker. Super impressed and the difference in size is amazing. THe tracker is pretty bulky. Noticed it for sure. The barryvox is so tiny and the harness so well designed that I dont think Ill ever be bother wearing it.

iski could probably be involved in a slide at the grocery though...

You want to be involved in a slide at the grocery store? Just grab an apple off the bottom row and ...WoooooHooooo!

Having all the gear doesn't help if you're skiing alone.

In most places I ski, no one skis inbounds with a shovel, so they'll have to go for patrol no matter what happens to me or what I'm carrying. However, I still beep on any day with freshies, because there's a chance patrol can actually dig me out alive if they don't have to get a probe line together.

Unless it is a sunny groomer day, I will be beeping. Have it, will use it.

Overkill is better than killed in my book.

Batteries can be replaced, my daughter can't have her father replaced.
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy