Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cool TR: First Light 11.1.05

TR: First Light 11.1.05
    Sherpastyle, iskibc
    Point 12,700’

The first light of the day always brings a wealth of character and wondrous visions across the high peaks. As night shifts into day in an abrupt way, the first light highlights all the beauty that surrounds us.

Colors and contrasts fill the valleys and snow-capped peaks in an artful way. The first light opens doors to new possibilities for the day and allows the mind to wander and get immersed into those possibilities:

First light is warm.
    First light is welcoming.
    First light is mesmerizing.
    First light is the key opening the door.
    First light is caffeine for the soul.
    First light is a guide for our travels.
    First light is the pinnacle of a dawn patrol.

Got the chance to share a dawn patrol with sherpastyle, who had been fighting wild fires across the western US all summer and not being anywhere near snow for several months. I could tell by the look in her eye that she was more than ready to make her first turns of the season when we met up in the blistering cold and wind outside of town.
    One of my favorite parts of a dawn patrol is watching the sun creep up and over the horizon while skinning on a clear morning.

It’s like a visual soundtrack for the mind and soul, and is perfect motivation while skinning up a mountain.

Very few words are usually spoken on a dawn patrol, especially this day as the beauty of our surroundings was a symphony of beautiful visions and sights. It’s amazing how little words can be spoken, but the entire time you know what each other is thinking and what the mind is going through at the moment.

We started the day off with a nice and easy skin up to unnamed 12,700’, and watched the sun light up the morning.

Shadows slowly slipped away as light took over, but the wind was not letting go of its grip.

Blowing snow on opposing ridges became illuminated as the light crept up and over the valley foothills.

We came to our line, discussed our plan, and Sherpastyle dropped in first.

It was apparent the snow was somewhat wind-effected at the top, but her turns were smooth and fluid as she moved down the line. We skied a nice 1,000’ vertical shot and then began our traverse over to the next line.

This time around we found a fun climb up a steep ridgeline to the top of another unnamed peak.

This line we found better snow and got a little over 1,000’ of vert.

Back to the car and off to work by 9:35 AM. I almost forgot how much fun a dawn patrol was.

That a boys... That a boys, nice shots!

Edit: my bad, that a boy and girl!
    Last edited by Mountain Freak; 11-02-2005 at 08:52 AM.
    Living the good life.

Nice. Nice. Nice.

Nice pics.

Nice words.

Nice Job.

I see Henderson Mine in this shot. You are killing Jones Pass this year!
    Living the good life.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Freak
    I see Henderson Mine in this shot. You are killing Jones Pass this year!
    Shhh! It's a secret location.

Sorry Freak but... That isn't H-town. It is one of the sub-entrances to Cheyenne Mtn. You can tell by the sat dish on the right.

Nice going you two.
    "It is not the result that counts! It is not the result but the spirit! Not what - but how. Not what has been attained - but at what price.
    - A. Solzhenitsyn

Like this pic...tells allot with the lighting and the wind. Nice way to get it...

Now, dammit, why can't we get some of that here? ..."Green" all around here right now...

<patience grasshopper>

Anyway, sweet TR (as usual)...

peace,
    D.
    "There's a truth that sanity denies...." --Sprung Monkey

Nice iskibc. Hopefully I'll make it back out for some more turns this season.

Is your wife getting jealous?

Quote Originally Posted by CantDog
    Nice iskibc. Hopefully I'll make it back out for some more turns this season.

Is your wife getting jealous?
    Last time you made it out this way it dumped continuously for 4 days and ended up being the deepest days of the year. So, yes, please get out here soooooon!

My wife is beginning to give me the dirty look when the alarm goes off at 3:45 AM.

Definitely a good start to the season! I'm going to make an effort to spend the first day back on snow a dawn patrol every year. Nothing makes you appreciate the beauty of the mountains like watching the sun rise over snow covered peaks while listening to the subtle sound of skins gliding across the snow.

After a few gaper moves in the first run, my mind and body started to communicate and I was skiing again. It was a long 6 months, but a worthy sacrifice knowing what I have to look forward to for the next 5 months. Thanks for starting my season off right and being patient with my slow pace, Dave. Living between 2000' and 5000' all summer took its toll on my high altitude lungs.

Here are a few of the pics from my camera:

iskibc

me

"College degree. Good job. Big house. We all make mistakes..."

www.lizmarshall.zenfolio.com

Nice you guys. Good to see a classic Iskibc TR again.

Nice pics! In between storm cycles right now for the Cascades. These pics have me procrastinating at work, thinking about how good it will be to get up and make some turns next week. But 3:45am- ouch! How many cups of coffee you go through on the drive up?

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel99
    But 3:45am- ouch! How many cups of coffee you go through on the drive up?
    I love getting up early. There's nothing greater than cruising down the highway and back roads and not seeing another car, and just letting the mind wander.

I usually drink a full pot of coffee on the drive to the trailhead. Just bought myself a 64 oz. travel mug. Damn does that make me wired in the AM

Dawn Patrol is like waking up as a little kid Christmas morning... at least for me. No problems getting up. Would you all agree?
    Living the good life.

Quote Originally Posted by iskibc
    ...the bumper dumper was the best investment I ever made cause 64oz of coffee really loosens up the bowels

"It is not the result that counts! It is not the result but the spirit! Not what - but how. Not what has been attained - but at what price.
    - A. Solzhenitsyn

another outstanding TR by iskibc, dude you rock! When I grow up I want to be just like you.

Right Arm Dave & Sherpa. I'm hopefully coughing up the last of my lung detritus.This TR makes me want to get back in the saddle.
    Calmer than you dude

Thumbs up

great stuff

nice way to start the day
    cheers... nice pics

Beautiful pictures and poetic words.

As usually nice TR iski.
    Just ski down there and jump of a somethin' fer cryin' out loud!

-Pain McShlonkey

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    beautful shots. I esp like the one with the early morning light catching the spindrift on the ridge. Awesome.

Thumbs up

FKNA!!! Great pics. I need some pow turns real bad.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by iskibc
    I love getting up early. There's nothing greater than cruising down the highway and back roads and not seeing another car, and just letting the mind wander.

I usually drink a full pot of coffee on the drive to the trailhead. Just bought myself a 64 oz. travel mug. Damn does that make me wired in the AM
    So...is there a mandatory stop at the Downieville Conoco Station for 25 Cent Coffee on the return trip That stuff used to save me on the commutes to Winter Park in college.

Yep, I'm excited to get up early- leaving for Baker next Tuesday we get to sleep in until 5am!

Hell Yeahhhh!
    Good to see one of your TRs again. Winter is coming... life is good.
    -SS