Salomon AK Rocket Pilot

Does anybody ski these? A buddy of mine has a pair and doesn't like them. They look like a cool ski, but he insists his go to skis are his old X-screams(yellow ones, prolinks). From what I can remember the x-screams were noodley. Maybe these AK Rockets are stiffer then he likes to ride, I don't know? Personally I think he's a pussy and just needs to point 'em.

The model/look of said skis:

I used to have a pair. they were stable and fast...didn't like to turn too much.

stiffer then the older AK rockets for sure, 195 lenght, 95? under foot. nice big mountian ski. Dont like the pile-o-shit system as you are forced to use that binding, but it works.

Fun ski. 118/86/110 Radius: 25. Length: 195 only.

One thing that was interesting about that ski was the sidecut: the ski was straight from the "E" forward in the tip. It's like two shapes grafted together - a very straight sidecut for the first 30 cm or so, and a conventional shape after that.

Quote Originally Posted by focus
    I used to have a pair. they were stable and fast...didn't like to turn too much.
    took the words out of my mouth.

I have them, they are definitely fast skis when you are in the wide open stuff. My opinion is the tail is too soft in comparision to the tip. Also, they are really heavy what with the pilot system and all. Not that stable on groomed (who cares?), because as mechmaster said the shovel really doesn't carve due to a constant width for the first portion of the ski. That same strange sidecut makes the shovel have very little tendency to catch in soft snow, which I think is a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion
    stiffer then the older AK rockets for sure, 195 lenght, 95? under foot. nice big mountian ski. Dont like the pile-o-shit system as you are forced to use that binding, but it works.
    not true, i've seen people drill other companies bindings right into the pilot plate. a good idea? maybe
    I keep a mirror in my pocket and i practice looking hard.

just bought some for $400

someone was teleing on them with the G3's right into the ski, no pile-o-shit plates at all .....

Quote Originally Posted by roorfan
    just bought some for $400
    Too bad, I would have sold you a pair in excellent condition for $375.

What everyone is saying is right on. I've only skiid mine a few times and it was subludicrously deep every day. Ride them fast and aggressive and you will enjoy them. I found they are centered mounted and I prefer a shorter tail. I was planning on moving the bindings back a couple of notches (I believe I can do this).

not true, i've seen people drill other companies bindings right into the pilot plate. a good idea? maybe
    Brilliant... I've been thinking about a setup for the bc and that might not be a bad idea. So, do you know if they can be mounted directly to the ski as well or only on the plate? I will search. Hmmm

edit - just saw mntlion's post - What about an AT binding???
    Last edited by flabango; 11-27-2005 at 09:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by flabango
    Too bad, I would have sold you a pair in excellent condition for $375.

What everyone is saying is right on. I've only skiid mine a few times and it was subludicrously deep every day. Ride them fast and aggressive and you will enjoy them. I found they are centered mounted and I prefer a shorter tail. I was planning on moving the bindings back a couple of notches (I believe I can do this).

Brilliant... I've been thinking about a setup for the bc and that might not be a bad idea. So, do you know if they can be mounted directly to the ski as well or only on the plate? I will search. Hmmm

edit - just saw mntlion's post - What about an AT binding???
    straight in the ski would probably be best, but i wouldn't be sure how to get the pilot plate off. i could imagine mounting certain other bindings to the pilot plate might be hard because of the preexisting holes in the pilot plate.
    I keep a mirror in my pocket and i practice looking hard.

Quote Originally Posted by aspenskibum
    straight in the ski would probably be best, but i wouldn't be sure how to get the pilot plate off. i could imagine mounting certain other bindings to the pilot plate might be hard because of the preexisting holes in the pilot plate.
    You can mount to the plates if you miss the existing holes. But getting the plates off is easy. Just one allen (or torx I forget) through the ski as an axel. I have seen Freerides mounted both ways.
    Knowledge is Powder

I thought they were the worst skis I've ever put on my feet. I would not ski on them if you gave them to me.

The Lab/pro/race room version is probably different.

Quote Originally Posted by Spats
    The Lab/pro/race room version is probably different.

ya WAY differnt

the lab with pile-o-shit system is stiffer by a lot and the swallow tail version (last two years) is also differnt

I've got a pair

I like this ski, goes fast turns easy but it is work to keep the shovel up. I also have a pair of swallowtails and the difference is night and day