knee pain question

So, I dislocated my patella about a month ago on my right knee (this is the 3rd time on this knee and I've had two surgeries on it already) and it wasn't really any different than any of the other dislocations that I've had, i.e. a week or so of moderate pain and swelling. However, I've been experiencing a new pain that i've never had prior to dislocation (which I've had 8 between both knees). If I'm looking down at my knee, the pain is in an area about 45 degrees to the left of my patella (to the inside of the knee) on a bump which I think is the tibial plateau, on top where my meniscus would be. (I don't think its a tear in my meniscus because it only hurts periodically and my knee doesn't lock) However, the pain is sort of a sharp pain, similar to the feeling of when I have a pinched nerve in my back. But the pain just comes and goes as it pleases...exercize doesn't really seem to agrivate it, it just randomly comes and goes about twice a day. I'm thinking that it could just be nerve damage or tendonitis, but I'm wondering if it's more serious. Anybody have any similar experiences?

hmmmm. could be several things. But first off, * patellar dislocations, woah**** Obviously you have some kind of structural predisposition to patellar dislocation. Any Dr. ever say why? Patella alta, knock kneed(genu valgus), are you very flexible (ie. double jointed)

1. could be that you have just torn some more the the medial fibers of the patellar retinaculum. (ligament like stuff that surrounds the patella)

2. possible irritation of a branch of the saphrenous nerve. Does it hurt when you pinch the skin over the spot you say is sore or does it hurt deeper down on the bone?

3. unrelated injury such as MCL sprain

This is a real tough one without being able to see and touch your knee.
    fighting gravity on a daily basis

WhiteRoom Skis
    Handcrafted in Northern Vermont
    www.whiteroomcustomskis.com

I do have a structural problem...the tendon or ligament (I don't remember what it is) on the insides of my knees are almost non existant which has caused my knee caps to track wrong my entire 23 years of life and now they are basically flat on the bottom instead of being a v-shape as they should be.
    I'm sure I have probably torn some medial fibers, but I think that's happened every other time as well...but this is a new pain. When my knee isn't having the random pain, it doesn't hurt to pinch the skin above it, and it is only mildly sore to the touch (in a very specific location which seems to be right on top of the bone) but when I am hurting, the area gets much more sensitive to the touch in a larger area. When I massage it, it seems to take the pain away for a short while.

As I said before very tough to do this without being able to examine your knee.
    your structural problem sounds like Patella Alta to me. Basically the patella sits too high and does not rest in the groove as it should which makes it very easy to dislocate.

The interesting thing here is that the spot of pain varies in size and intensity. This suggests nerve irritation to me.

My best advise would be to seek an eval from your ortho.
    fighting gravity on a daily basis

WhiteRoom Skis
    Handcrafted in Northern Vermont
    www.whiteroomcustomskis.com