Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cravenmorhead View Post
    Huh, I find the Camox FBs to be pretty predictable in all but breakable crust. Anyway, a friend has the Dynastar M-tours and loves them for a do-everything mid-waist ski.
    I don't find it to so much unpredictable, as quite demanding and punishing, but to each his/her own!

Sent from my Pixel 7a using Tapatalk

I had some camox freebirds. Not a terrible ski but not very versatile. Floated quite well for a ski that size but uninspiring on any variable conditions. The core felt like air when i drilled or screwed into them. Sold them. Current ski in that slot is a rossi alpineer 96(97 waist in my 177). I think its the same as the dynastar mtour. Not bad. Does everything pretty well and is quite light. Bases arent the fastest or most durable and i'd prefer a little more tail rocker. Spring touring skis need tougher bases. Theyll hit rocks, grass and dirt and i think a little tail rocker keeps them more versatile in a variety of conditions. I really miss my praxis yeti in this slot. I had the 172 yeti and i think its perfec. Im woodman 100 tour curiouas though. On3p bases are extremdly durable much like praxis but im noticing my buddies praxis slide thru sticky pow better than my on3p's. I tuned both our skis. Minor difference as theyre both proving way more durable than anything else. Sooo many rocks around here and theyve given us a lot of freedom and freshies

Sent from my SM-S711W using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Perlhammered View Post
    Slightly wider than you're asking for, but 4FRNT Raven hits all your other requirements pretty bang on.
    If you want to own just one touring ski that can do everything. The Raven is the best ski out there imo. Literally skis everything well.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    I think that would be an good option. Ripsticks are very light and the only conditions they don't handle well are shitfuck and deep chop, not a big concern when touring. However if Salomon decides to make an Echo 96 then that might be a better choice.
    @yeahman do you tour in the regular Ripstick or the tour version? Why'd you choose the one you're on over the other (tour/non-tour version) in the lineup? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    If you want to own just one touring ski that can do everything. The Raven is the best ski out there imo. Literally skis everything well.
    I have to disagree with this...it is an interesting ski but requires a specific technique of rolling your ankles to get the edges to engage. It's a good ski, but it has a very specific design philosophy. Also it doesn't float all that great, nothing like an ON3P of the same width. But again, that's its design philosophy.

Quote Originally Posted by skiNphish View Post
    @yeahman do you tour in the regular Ripstick or the tour version? Why'd you choose the one you're on over the other (tour/non-tour version) in the lineup? Thanks.

Ripstick 106 actually. But I believe the 96 is designed identical to the 106, and if you want that narrower width and slightly less weight I think it would be a good choice. I've considered the 96 for a touring ski but haven't pulled the trigger because I'm happy with the 106 and it is pretty light. Also I'm not sure the Tour 104 would give me much advantage over the 106, although I've read good things about it. Bottom line is I already had the 106 in my quiver so I converted it from a resort ski to a touring rig and I like it.

And keep in mind that Ripsticks measure and ski short. (Does not apply to the black edition, never skied those.) The 180 Ripstick is like a 177.

Ripstick 106 actually. But I believe the 96 is designed identical to the 106, and if you want that narrower width and slightly less weight I think it would be a good choice. I've considered the 96 for a touring ski but haven't pulled the trigger because I'm happy with the 106 and it is pretty light. Also I'm not sure the Tour 104 would give me much advantage over the 106, although I've read good things about it. Bottom line is I already had the 106 in my quiver so I converted it from a resort ski to a touring rig and I like it.

And keep in mind that Ripsticks measure and ski short. (Does not apply to the black edition, never skied those.) The 180 Ripstick is like a 177.
    Super helpful - thanks!

Salomon MTN 95 might work.
    I ski them and find they are ok at everything, excel at nothing.
    I just sort of forget about them.
    I haven't tried a ton of mid 90 touring skis, though.
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

If you're not in a rush, Praxis Yeti to your specs in the summer custom sale should be on your list. Forgiving shape and flex pattern. Tune flex to your liking. The ultralight with carbon setup isn't crazy light and still skis well (for a touring ski). It's a bit more soft-snow oriented in shape than many other 94mm skis, but lil oscillation in the side cut does seem to help hold on firm. Really fun hot pow/corn ski.

Thought I saw a mention in one of the Praxis threads that they don’t plan to do a summer custom sale thing year but I’m not certain

good old mtn95 (maybe one of the longest running shapes?) doesn't really welcome backseat skiing but i wouldn't call it punishing.

bent100 were a great touring ski for me but as a euro guy i don't know how well they would fare on proper volcano missions.

Thanks to everyone who helped me out on this. I wound up scoring a great price on a pair of 171cm WNDR Vital 98s. Their "love it guarantee" helped make this an easy choice. Based on what I've read, this sounds like it could be the ski I'm after. Pairing it with ATK Raider 12 AP bindings. Will report back after my upcoming trip to Baker!

Last edited by skiNphish; 04-23-2024 at 10:14 AM.

My wife (ski racing background) loves her 179 Blaze 94 much more than her 176?BMT 94.

Quote Originally Posted by skiNphish View Post
    Anyone have thoughts on the Ripstick 96 for this use case??

I skied the camox freebird for several years, until I retired them and bought Elan Ripstick Tour 104s. The non-tour version will def be a bump in stability over the camox. I find the 104 tour to be a improved in variable over the camox freebird...but it's not like a wild difference. They're both lighter touring skis with limits on the downhill...just par of the course. And for what it's worth, I actually found the camox freebird to be quite easy going if the speed is kept moderate. Can open it up in good, consistent snow...but not in anything variable or punchy...I can't, at least.

I think that would be an good option. Ripsticks are very light and the only conditions they don't handle well are shitfuck and deep chop, not a big concern when touring. However if Salomon decides to make an Echo 96 then that might be a better choice.
    I'd suggest the Ripstick 96, Blaze 94 and MTN 96.

Armada Locator 96?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by EricB View Post
    Armada Locator 96?

The locator series doesn’t get a lot of love around here but they seem to be great. Light, stiffer than a lot of do-it-all touring skis, longish radius. I think part of the issue is they weren’t marketed that well, and don’t make much sense in Armadas line up. If they were marketed under the Atomic lineup I think they would sell better.

Quote Originally Posted by jacob_dbu View Post
    I have to disagree with this...it is an interesting ski but requires a specific technique of rolling your ankles to get the edges to engage. It's a good ski, but it has a very specific design philosophy. Also it doesn't float all that great, nothing like an ON3P of the same width. But again, that's its design philosophy.
    I’d agree that they require a specific technique but that doesn’t change the fact that they ski everything well if you can ski that way. I would say they float really well for a 104 underfoot ski with a fairly narrow tip.

Blaze 94 can be found at a very good price these days. Does everything well.

Quote Originally Posted by ASmileyFace View Post
    The locator series doesn’t get a lot of love around here but they seem to be great. Light, stiffer than a lot of do-it-all touring skis, longish radius. I think part of the issue is they weren’t marketed that well, and don’t make much sense in Armadas line up. If they were marketed under the Atomic lineup I think they would sell better.
    Too stiff for their weight, imo.

BC Solis is pretty dope at iirc 100 underfoot. Comes in 170 and 180 and skis long. On the heavier side, and not carvey at all... I dunno about "forgiving" but I would describe it as an extremely obedient ski.

And you can get rowdy af with it

Quote Originally Posted by jhyatt View Post
    Salomon MTN 95 might work.
    I ski them and find they are ok at everything, excel at nothing.
    I just sort of forget about them.
    I haven't tried a ton of mid 90 touring skis, though.
    I had narrowed my own search down to this and the Nordica Enforcer Unlimited 94 (basically, same without the heavy metal). I found a sweet deal on the Nordicas and grabbed them. Skimo has a decent deal on the Salomons and I debated quite a bit.

For me, uber light paulownia skis are only fun on the way up. On other end, Head Kore, Elan Ripstick push the weight needed. I'm thinking/hoping the 1550 g ski is the right balance.

Quote Originally Posted by dschane View Post
    I had narrowed my own search down to this and the Nordica Enforcer Unlimited 94 (basically, same without the heavy metal). I found a sweet deal on the Nordicas and grabbed them. Skimo has a decent deal on the Salomons and I debated quite a bit.

For me, uber light paulownia skis are only fun on the way up. On other end, Head Kore, Elan Ripstick push the weight needed. I'm thinking/hoping the 1550 g ski is the right balance.
    Ripstick tour 94 is ~1550 in 185. Similar in many ways to mtn and enforcer unlimited, probably a bit softer in tails than the e94u.

Quote Originally Posted by Westcoaster View Post
    Ripstick tour 94 is ~1550 in 185. Similar in many ways to mtn and enforcer unlimited, probably a bit softer in tails than the e94u.
    Oh, bad research on me. Add Ripstick Tour 94s to my personal list of the ideal spring touring ski -- not too light, not too heavy, just right. (ETA: obviously, there's more to it than weight, esp. if we're talking about a "forgiving" ski -- I'm personally looking for a ski for spring conditions where you're bootpacking, skinning, and hunting corn but often enough come up short and find icy mank -- I weigh 190 lb and prefer a moderately stiff ski for these conditions).
    Last edited by dschane; 04-17-2024 at 02:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dschane View Post
    Oh, bad research on me. Add Ripstick 94 to my personal list of the ideal spring touring ski -- not too light, not too heavy, just right. (ETA: obviously, there's more to it than weight, esp. if we're talking about a "forgiving" ski -- I'm personally looking for a ski for spring conditions where you're bootpacking, skinning, and hunting corn but often enough come up short and find icy mank -- I weigh 190 lb and prefer a moderately stiff ski for these conditions).
    What length is your ripstick?
    Could you measure the distance from tail to mounting line?

Thank you

Sent from my moto g 5G using Tapatalk