Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Francis Scott Key Bridge collapse

Holy shit! You can see vehicles on the bridge as it collapses into the Patapsco River

My Lord.
    That was disturbing.
    riser4 - Ignore me! Please!

Kenny Satch - With pleasure

Getting daylight in a while.
    Last edited by SB; 03-26-2024 at 04:09 AM.
    watch out for snakes

That’s a question I have. I assume there was a pilot on board in those waters. In Portland, Maine we had a tanker, the Julie N, hit a bridge because the pilot said turn to starboard when he intended port. The helmsman followed the directions as he should and the tanker hit the bridge resulting in a large oil spill.

Terrible tragedy unfolding. Likely reached the total number of survivors at this point.

Sonar shows vehicles on the river bottom

2 survivors rescued so far.
    watch out for snakes

45° water, there likely won't be more.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	facebook_1711453165880_7178354859464803813_116493640201860.jpeg 
Views:	184 
Size:	106.7 KB 
ID:	491926
    watch out for snakes

Name:	facebook_1711453128920_7178354704444498779_116456756448385.jpeg 
Views:	196 
Size:	93.6 KB 
ID:	491927
    watch out for snakes

Name:	facebook_1711453097157_7178354571219675444_116425175714595.jpeg 
Views:	185 
Size:	50.6 KB 
ID:	491928
    watch out for snakes

Where's that confounded bridge?

Just heard something about the ship losing power
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    Just heard something about the ship losing power
    Yeah, if you look at the videos, the ship lost electrical power at least twice prior to hitting the bridge.

Sent from my island using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

I can’t speak to civilian ships, but the Navy destroyer I served on would have had sailors manning “after steering”, where they were standing by the ships rudder ready to manually steer the ship, using chains and come-alongs, in case the ship lost power.

No idea if civilian ships do this.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    That’s a question I have. I assume there was a pilot on board in those waters. In Portland, Maine we had a tanker, the Julie N, hit a bridge because the pilot said turn to starboard when he intended port. The helmsman followed the directions as he should and the tanker hit the bridge resulting in a large oil spill.

Terrible tragedy unfolding. Likely reached the total number of survivors at this point.
    I believe at that point there had to be a pilot (they were into the harbor and obviously going under the bridge), and while I'm sure there are lots of possibilities the obvious issue would be some kind of fuck up on the pilot's part (like in ME--of course in that one I'd like to know if the margins in that harbor are so slim that there was no time to correct the starboard/port thing when the ship first started turning the wrong way). While these things are very rare it's still a little hard to believe they can happen at all (counterpoint: Exxon Valdez).

edit: hadn't followed this since last night, didn't know about the possible electrical issue. Was going to say other obvious thing would be mechanical failure. Wonder if the boat really was losing power like that.
    [quote][//quote]

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    Where's that confounded bridge?

How many years have you been sitting on that LZ reference? Nicely done. (Musician dork brother and his bandmates always used to laugh about that line when they'd play that song.)
    [quote][//quote]

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    I can’t speak to civilian ships, but the Navy destroyer I served on would have had sailors manning “after steering”, where they were standing by the ships rudder ready to manually steer the ship, using chains and come-alongs, in case the ship lost power.

No idea if civilian ships do this.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    I’d be ridiculously surprised if a Singapore-flagged ship had those kind of protocols in place.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki View Post
    I believe at that point there had to be a pilot (they were into the harbor and obviously going under the bridge), and while I'm sure there are lots of possibilities the obvious issue would be some kind of fuck up on the pilot's part (like in ME--of course in that one I'd like to know if the margins in that harbor are so slim that there was no time to correct the starboard/port thing when the ship first started turning the wrong way). While these things are very rare it's still a little hard to believe they can happen at all (counterpoint: Exxon Valdez).

edit: hadn't followed this since last night, didn't know about the possible electrical issue. Was going to say other obvious thing would be mechanical failure. Wonder if the boat really was losing power like that.

The Portland bridge has since been replaced and the new draw bridge was made much wider to avoid the issues.

To Harry’s point I have not been on a ship of that size, but I very much doubt they have the manpower to devote to manual steerage. Likely not enough room to drop an anchor either.

Lost power, then it looks like when it came back they may have tried reversing the prop which caused the bow to change direction. I wonder if they just coasted thru at the original heading if they would have made it?

Likely not enough room to drop an anchor either.
    Someone said they tried but on a moving boat it's tough to get a hold.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

The Portland bridge has since been replaced and the new draw bridge was made much wider to avoid the issues.
    Ah, so I guess it probably was pretty tight and one mistaken command could have done it, without time to belay. One question for the Admiral (Harry)...what's a 'come-along?'
    [quote][//quote]

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Lost power, then it looks like when it came back they may have tried reversing the prop which caused the bow to change direction. I wonder if they just coasted thru at the original heading if they would have made it?
    Have to imagine it would depend on how much time they would have been coasting, rudder angle, currents...
    [quote][//quote]

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Lots of current through there. Probably depends on if the tide was going in or out. Looks like it is going in right now based on the slick emanating from the collapsed main span.
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

Francis Scott Key Bridge collapse

Older video of the piling that got hit taken by a local kayak fisherman

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C4-ml...40bGU3enVjbnBn

6 minutes isn't a lot of time to make adjustments with a boat that size...
    Name:  BaltimoreBridgeCollapse1.jpg
Views: 778
Size:  131.2 KB
    Name:  BaltimoreBridgeCollapse2.jpg
Views: 741
Size:  106.9 KB
    Name:  BaltimoreBridgeCollapse3.jpg
Views: 738
Size:  100.3 KB
    Last edited by From_the_NEK; 03-26-2024 at 07:56 AM.
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/