Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Same ship hit a bridge in Antwerp in ‘16
    crab in my shoe mouth

All that exhaust starts billowing just before impact. Almost looks like they got the main engines started or throttled up but too late.

Holy shit insanely sad.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

This unfortunate accident is a reminder that America is a maritime country. The Port of Baltimore is one of the busiest in the country handling nearly 12 million tons of cargo annually. The largest ships moving through the port weigh close to 170K tons. It's going to be a real test of various agencies to complete the rescue & recovery of victims, conduct the investigation, return the port to operation, and rebuild the bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by From_the_NEK View Post
    6 minutes isn't a lot of time to make adjustments with a boat that size...
    Attachment 491929
    Attachment 491930
    Attachment 491931
    Holy shit that is terrifying.

When I'm in Charleston one of my favorite things to do is grab a drink by the Cooper River and watch the massive car carriers and container ships come and go out of the freight terminal. It's mind blowing how big these ships are fully loaded; I can't imagine the force of the impact this ship in Baltimore had. Like a skyscraper being plowed into something. Ufda.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki View Post
    How many years have you been sitting on that LZ reference? Nicely done. (Musician dork brother and his bandmates always used to laugh about that line when they'd play that song.)
    Are you from VT and was your brother's nickname Chip?

6 minutes isn't a lot of time to make adjustments with a boat that size...
    Attachment 491929
    Attachment 491930
    Attachment 491931
    yeah, here’s an AIS recreation, not much change to the course
    https://www.vesselfinder.com/news/27...idge-Baltimore

10,000 20’ shipping containers is a lot of stuff

Would've been nice if the tugs stayed with it until it passed the bridge but I'm sure that was standard procedure.. The Eric McAllister tries to get back to it before the impact but doesn't get close.

Quote Originally Posted by riser4 View Post
    Are you from VT and was your brother's nickname Chip?
    Haha, I love that question, but sadly no, not from VT and brother's name is not Chip. Am guessing we weren't the only music dweebs who were amused at Robert Plant not finding the bridge in that song.
    [quote][//quote]

Latest news I heard was they were able to close the bridge at the last minute so zero casualties. Hope that’s correct.

As of a few minutes ago they were still searching for six people, so I'm not sure that's true. Unless somehow it's six people from the boat or something.
    [quote][//quote]

^^seems that is confirmed. Quick work by whoever's in charge of that. Six construction workers missing though. The two people rescued from the water were both construction workers apparently.

Must have been the Ukrainians.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    ^^seems that is confirmed. Quick work by whoever's in charge of that. Six construction workers missing though. The two people rescued from the water were both construction workers apparently.
    Oh wow, that sucks. Hope they find the other 4 ok. Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Holy shit that is terrifying.

When I'm in Charleston one of my favorite things to do is grab a drink by the Cooper River and watch the massive car carriers and container ships come and go out of the freight terminal. It's mind blowing how big these ships are fully loaded; I can't imagine the force of the impact this ship in Baltimore had. Like a skyscraper being plowed into something. Ufda.
    Am I remembering right from a documentary that the Ravenel bridge’s pilings are heavily armored to deflect large blows from cargo ships specifically? Like a large underwater pyramid shape or mass of rock to armor the structure? Would that have been feasible here?

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Latest news I heard was they were able to close the bridge at the last minute so zero casualties. Hope that’s correct.

Watching the video of the bridge leading up to collapse, you don't see any traffic on the bridge other than the construction vehicles for the last minute or so.
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

Quote Originally Posted by present tense View Post
    Am I remembering right from a documentary that the Ravenel bridge’s pilings are heavily armored to deflect large blows from cargo ships specifically? Like a large underwater pyramid shape or mass of rock to armor the structure? Would that have been feasible here?
    100,000 tons moving at 7knots doesn’t stop on a dime, but even without that Baltimore harbor ain’t deep relative to these ships, so all that takes room

Quote Originally Posted by present tense View Post
    They are indeed. 1 acre diamond shaped islands surround the main pilings that can stop/redirect a container ship from hitting them.

The Grace Memorial Bridge, which the Ravenel Bridge replaced, was the exact same kind of bridge as this one in Baltimore that got hit. It was insanely sketchy to drive over as its see-through metal grate deck swayed back and forth in the wind, with only 3 small steel rails separating you from the 150' drop to the water below.

The Ravenel Bridge is what allowed CHS to expand the port to accommodate the biggest container ships and car carriers and is so rock solid you barely know you're 580' feet off the water when you're walking or riding your bike across it.
    I still call it The Jake.

There's structures in the water (they're called "dolphins" apparently) in front of the piers designed to prevent such a thing from happening but the ship came in at an angle and missed them

Watching the video of the bridge leading up to collapse, you don't see any traffic on the bridge other than the construction vehicles for the last minute or so.
    This link says local police were notified a few minutes before and were already in the process of shutting down traffic when the collapse happened. Probably saved quite a few lives.

Sent from my island using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    This link says local police were notified a few minutes before and were already in the process of shutting down traffic when the collapse happened. Probably saved quite a few lives.

Sent from my island using TGR Forums
    Impressive response time if that is true!
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

Impressive response time if that is true!
    Haven't you seen the Wire?
    PO LEECE can clear a corner in 5 minutes.

Sheeeeeeit

So it's a continuous truss bridge. Same design as the bridge that fell a few years ago. They go down like a house of cards.
    Seeker of Truth. Dispenser of Wisdom. Protector of the Weak. Avenger of Evil.

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    That’s a question I have. I assume there was a pilot on board in those waters. In Portland, Maine we had a tanker, the Julie N, hit a bridge because the pilot said turn to starboard when he intended port. The helmsman followed the directions as he should and the tanker hit the bridge resulting in a large oil spill.

Terrible tragedy unfolding. Likely reached the total number of survivors at this point.
    I was in Portland when the Julie N hit the bridge. What a mess.

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    Would've been nice if the tugs stayed with it until it passed the bridge but I'm sure that was standard procedure.. The Eric McAllister tries to get back to it before the impact but doesn't get close.
    Im surprised they don't require a ship assist all the way to the birth.