Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    OP, do you have a $ budget for this vehicle?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

OP, I'm in the same boat. Maybe my towing needs are slightly less, my trailer is 1500 dry maybe 3000 lbs loaded, and I'm in WA so mountainous but generally under 5k elevation. Current vehicle is a 2011 MDX that seems to be dying a slow oil-burning death.
    Grand highlander hybrid max is at the top of my list, but it seems like the waiting list may be too long, and used is out of the question since it's a new model.
    As something that hasnt been mentioned much in this thread, the current generation BMW X5 x40i is surprisingly high on my list. Over 6k tow rating and gets 23-25mpg. Low mile used copies are available around $35k, so much lower than the GH Hybrid Max would be. Sure any repair costs may be more expensive than domestics, but c'mon were talking about Cherokees and Durangos, at least the bimmer won't be in the shop as often.

GX is nice but the sideways tailgate opening ruins the vehicle for me.

Having a roof over my head when I’m back there in rain/snow is key for me when skiing, MTB, camping, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by bfree View Post
    As something that hasnt been mentioned much in this thread, the current generation BMW X5 x40i is surprisingly high on my list. Over 6k tow rating and gets 23-25mpg. Low mile used copies are available around $35k, so much lower than the GH Hybrid Max would be. Sure any repair costs may be more expensive than domestics, but c'mon were talking about Cherokees and Durangos, at least the bimmer won't be in the shop as often.
    I have a strong bias against Euro brands for any semblance of reliability. If they're what you like, for whatever reason -- perceived performance or niceness or "feel" or whatever, then go for it.

Personally, I think of the vehicle as a total cost to own + operate. MPG is just one factor. 17 MPG + never breaks (Lexus GX, Toyota Sequoia) vs 23 MPG and breaks repeatedly, often, and expensively... that gas mileage savings is quickly overcome by repair costs.
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    I have a strong bias against Euro brands for any semblance of reliability. If they're what you like, for whatever reason -- perceived performance or niceness or "feel" or whatever, then go for it.

Personally, I think of the vehicle as a total cost to own + operate. MPG is just one factor. 17 MPG + never breaks (Lexus GX, Toyota Sequoia) vs 23 MPG and breaks repeatedly, often, and expensively... that gas mileage savings is quickly overcome by repair costs.
    If you only value MPG for financial reasons, yes it makes no sense and one should just buy an old Toyota.

But BMW and Porsche are ranked pretty high in reliability ratings these days. Volvo and Stellantis are near the bottom, for example.

2018 Grand Trailhawk 40k and 0 shop visits. Nevertheless, I wouldn’t tow anything longer than 15ft with it. Too short of wheel base. Full honesty the only thing wrong with it is the Nav system gave up the ghost and thinks we are in Nevada. Wife doesn’t care to fix it. It’s some shitty module on the back of the infotainment head. Sure Chrysler has had its issues for years and the constant selling and new ownership is the problem, but I think Stellantis is the best ownership they have had in years.

Recalls are recalls and all the manufacturers have them. Ford has been leading the way for 3 straight years, but it makes sense they have a huge product line and a lot of sales.

Yes, that article I linked was general. I think they were listing max payloads and to get that you have to get bare bones. Payload is always individual to the rig and changes with every option. My 3500 Ram has a much higher payload than my neighbor’s of the same year Laramie.

I think that 3.0 Dura (Izuzu collab) is a pretty decent engine. They are just now getting some higher miles on them out in the “real world” and like most diesels there are some fuel system issues and there was a long crank issue that they just fixed with new PCM updates. It is absolutely quiet. OP, I would go drive one. Just promise me if you go GM don’t become one of those HickHop, white-sunglasses, “designer cowboy” jeans, trolling braggarts, douchebags like my brother-in-law and many of the other Chebby guys I know.

Any auto maker and model can be picked apart even the beloved Tacos, Subies, and Euros with anecdotes and forum chatter.

The GX side rear door thing is definitely strange, at times in the way and inconvenient and if you really want a hatch over your head, a pretty big fail.
    But I have been able to live with it as the rest of the car is great (non nav 470)

The V8 is a buttery smooth engine

Quote Originally Posted by heckacali View Post
    The GX side rear door thing is definitely strange, at times in the way and inconvenient and if you really want a hatch over your head, a pretty big fail.
    But I have been able to live with it as the rest of the car is great (non nav 470)

The V8 is a buttery smooth engine
    If I didn’t live and recreate in a temperate rain forest I wouldn’t mind as much.

Nissan resale is on the lower end. Used Armada somewhat cheap dark horse, or a can of worms?

Quote Originally Posted by Meconium View Post
    Nissan resale is on the lower end. Used Armada somewhat cheap dark horse, or a can of worms?
    Oof. Apologies if I offend any Armada owners, but I've been given one as a rental 3 times now and it was almost as enjoyable as that second generation Navigator they gave us one trip. It did have a strong engine though and IIRC a big towing capacity so if you're going to beat the shit out of it on washboard roads it might very well be a viable option.
    I still call it The Jake.

Greetings Everyone and Stupendous man!
    Have you considered in your car search advices the Pyeongwha PPeokkugi 4WD SUV produced right here in Pyongyang? Sporting such conveniences as a dual band AM/FM radio tuned to Voice of Korea, 3 speed ventilation, non-rain sensing wipers, minute by-minute GPS tracking and state authorized listening devices embedded in the ventilation grilles you will never be far from assistance on your journeys. Additionally, if you are looking for an exclusive luxury vehicle in which to express your family's individuality, you will not see another on American roads. We have a saying here, "he who drives a Pyeongwha smiles for miles." If you would like to see those smiles, opt for the optional rearview mirror in the Touring package.

As always, I will end this invitation by reminding everyone that the DPRK embraces the concept of Juche where man is the center of the universe.

Yours Truly,
    Kim Jong-Un
    Supreme Leader DPRK

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Jong-un View Post
    Have you considered in your car search advices the Pyeongwha PPeokkugi 4WD SUV produced right here in Pyongyang? Sporting such conveniences as a dual band AM/FM radio tuned to Voice of Korea, 3 speed ventilation, non-rain sensing wipers, minute by-minute GPS tracking and state authorized listening devices embedded in the ventilation grilles you will never be far from assistance on your journeys. Additionally, if you are looking for an exclusive luxury vehicle in which to express your family's individuality, you will not see another on American roads. We have a saying here, "he who drives a Pyeongwha smiles for miles." If you would like to see those smiles, opt for the optional rearview mirror in the Touring package.

As always, I will end this invitation by reminding everyone that the DPRK embraces the concept of Juche where man is the center of the universe.

Yours Truly,
    Kim Jong-Un
    Supreme Leader DPRK
    AlpineZone Greg approves this message.

Lada Niva, but not used because they shit in the back seat

Quote Originally Posted by stupendous man View Post
    What does everyone think of a diesel Tahoe? Does it make the diesel-y loud noise? Does the whole equation change?
    I have a 2023 with Duramax. I've only had it a few months and ~3000 miles but so far very happy. No diesel-y loud noise or smell. It did make my garage a little stinky one time due to the regeneration burn. Power delivery is smooth and no drama. Fuel economy for me has been 25 - 30 mpg.

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Jong-un View Post

Yours Truly,
    Kim Jong-Un
    Supreme Leader DPRK
    Does it come with a season pass to your ski resort? If I get a Toyota I get a Meadows pass and if I get a Subaru I get a TLine Skibowl Fusion. What can you offer us skiing and riding degenerates?

Quote Originally Posted by stupendous man View Post
    I also like the tahoe. I've driven one and its a nice ride, a little high for the grandma.
    Honestly that is a consideration if you're going to be regularly driving an elderly person. I never thought about it but when my dad and his lady friend visited I noticed how hard it was for her. Of course most people don't know how to properly get in and out of a car, which compounds the problem.

Some of the rigs with air suspension have park mode that lowers it. Of course air suspension can come with a host of other issues, particularly in really cold conditions.

I would pre shop the auto running board that come down when the door opens. See who makes what for what.

Quote Originally Posted by The Suit View Post
    I have a 2023 with Duramax. I've only had it a few months and ~3000 miles but so far very happy. No diesel-y loud noise or smell. It did make my garage a little stinky one time due to the regeneration burn. Power delivery is smooth and no drama. Fuel economy for me has been 25 - 30 mpg.
    I saw a smaller Chevy SUV with a Duramax yesterday, Blazer maybe? That seemed like a good choice.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    OP, do you have a $ budget for this vehicle?
    I was thinking I wouldn't go about $50K.
    looking for a good book? check out mine! as fast as it is gone

I guess what I just don't get is that how pickups just became the standard option for anything besides commuting or grocery getting (and they are also becoming the standard there too)

Need an open bed? Well, pickup of course.
    Need 4wd? Pickup.
    Need lots of ground clearance and ability to drive rough roads from the factory? Pickup
    Need to tow something on long highway drives? Pickup.
    Need to haul a family to the grocery store? Pickup

But for many of those needs...purchasers don't care about the others. E.g. I know a lot of sailboat racers who own trucks as tow vehicles...but they never drive off road, don't need high ground clearance, don't need a bed (and would actually prefer an enclosed full cabin on the road trip). Or a lot of people using the bed to haul materials from Home Depot every day would be much happier with a nice low bed. It is like Ford just kept saying "oh, the F150 can do it" as they streamlined their lineup over the years and moved everything else to "car-platform on stilts" crossovers.

Yes, there are still some mondo-sized SUVs that can handle those things, but they are as unwieldy, big, and expensive as a truck...and many of them have pushed more and more towards being "luxury" vehicles.

Although things have gotten slightly better in recent years for at least a few of those categories. AWD has become far more common (which is all a lot 4WD buyers really need), there's more sorts of "wilderness edition" softroading models with taller suspension, the Bronco is back, etc. More options out there for people who don't want an open bed.

I like to drive but I live down a rough dirt road and in a town with shit roads and it snows here (or it used to at least). What I'm after is the nicest sportiest awd drive car that is unbothered by shitty roads, like a luxury rally car basically. I don't need to worry about carrying shit with it, I have an old truck for that. I rarely have more than one passenger. What do I want?

edit: since we're asking vehicle questions
    Last edited by ötzi; 03-29-2024 at 03:02 PM.

SM, my girlfriend was saying that the new Pathfinder (2022+?) with tow package can tow 6000; she was considering buying it when she was wanting to buy the camper. But she met me and I already had a suitable tow vehicle.

She never did buy it and I've not done any research on its towing capabilities, but maybe that's a possibility?

ETA: google found this thread, sounds like it would work: https://www.pathfindertalk.com/threa...hfinder.41036/
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

So real or fictitious, what vehicle should those sailboat racers be driving?

My only gripe is the Mundial models we can't get.

I'm not sure whether you are bitching about unobtainium or that people make shitty choices?

Sent from a 6 m/s face melting thermal

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    I like to drive but I live down a rough dirt road and in a town with shit roads and it snows here (or it used to at least). What I'm after is the nicest sportiest awd drive car that is unbothered by shitty roads, like a luxury rally car basically. I don't need to worry about carrying shit with it, I have an old truck for that. I rarely have more than one passenger. What do I want?

I saw someone’s concept mockup of a Crosstrek STI and I always thought that would be a petty sick car.

I’m sure if money were no object you could get pretty close to your end goal by putting some custom suspension work into various Audi or Porsche offerings. I’ve seen a slightly lifted Golf R which was pretty sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post

Same. I have BMW 340 MT xdrive and an AWD Prius. I’m keeping the BMW longer than I normally would, because there aren’t any all-wheel-drive manual transmission European cars imported to the US anymore.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda