Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    My kid picked up golf last year in school. I’ve never been a golfer. We live on a golf course, 100yrds from hole 1.

We golfed 18-27 holes/day last year and bought season passes. I love it, in a big way because it’s one more thing besides skiing/riding/climbing I can do with my kid.

It’s fun, regardless of what people think of it. Life is about mixing shit up and learning new things.
    Last edited by Trackhead; 03-26-2024 at 05:47 PM.

People seem intent on turning this into a retirement thread, but OP is not retired, just middle age and bored with the same-old same -old. There's a difference between that and filling the endless empty days and years of retirement.

Could be a midlife crises that never ends, but yeah ...... mostly.
    A midlife crises is mostly psychological, retirement is hot mess of psych and physio.
    I'd trade both nuts to be back in a midlife. Piece of cake.

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    Don't you live on a golf course?
    I like a big backyard with no neighbors in site. Now if I could just keep these people off my lawn, I would be golden.
    I do have a nice collection of really good golf balls though. They are top quality, I am told.

I actually do golf a bit, but mostly scrambles. Makes me think I am better than I am. When I have to play my own ball reality strikes.
    Someday I may play. Gonna switch to lefty though (I am left handed at most things) and re learn the game the right way.

I'm the same way and I went back and forth so much now I can't play at all.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    2. But basically zero chance of catastrophic injury.
    That's kinda the problem. If I can't die doing it, it doesn't really interest me.
    Getting stuck by lightning doesn't count.

Now if it was timed, with extra points given for being the quickest, maybe.
    If there were paintball snipers in the woods taking shots at you, and after you hit a certain score, you earn a paintball gun to shoot back...
    Now we're talking. Make the hole 3 ft wide too, while you're at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Huskier View Post
    I'm not sure if that's what all of this is, or if it's just why I'm here.

It's half time. Reaper's up by 6 but there's still another half to play. You feel like you have man in the penalty box just like all the time. And you're not the man you were in the first half. Lots of doors have closed. You burned some bridges, sure. But some...well it's just hard to find sense in saddling up a new horse, you know?

I work for a living, at the end of day I punch a clock just like everyone. Wife is happy, kid is happy. I could just run down the clock. Maintain.

Does anyone else feel like they're not built for that? Looking back, the most meaningful times in my life were when I was struggling. I mean striving for something, eyes on the prize. I was happier eating ramen and studying for my entrance test than I am sitting on my laurels living the life. I felt more -alive- taking my board exam, than I ever have.

People are built to strive, to overcome, to survive. How do you reconcile that need with the stability that comes with midlife?

Kids are nice sure. But even with no kids I still felt like this.

Restless.

Am I the only one?
    Helped me to realize I didn't give a shit about achieving more in my professional life. Let me refocus my brain on other things and new challenges in other areas of life.

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post

I actually do golf a bit, but mostly scrambles. Makes me think I am better than I am.
    I resemble that remark…

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    That's kinda the problem. If I can't die doing it, it doesn't really interest me.
    Getting stuck by lightning doesn't count.

Now if it was timed, with extra points given for being the quickest, maybe.
    If there were paintball snipers in the woods taking shots at you, and after you hit a certain score, you earn a paintball gun to shoot back...
    Now we're talking. Make the hole 3 ft wide too, while you're at it.
    Move this to the million dollar idea thread IMMEDIATELY.

Sent from my SM-S928U1 using Tapatalk
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

I already have a call in to the Saudis.

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    I'd rather play hide the pickle
    Much more fun than pickleball, but can still lead to some mostly temporary disablement. This game is one I like to play more and more as I get older. I totally dominated while breaking all the rules last night.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    Much more fun than pickleball, but can still lead to some mostly temporary disablement. This game is one I like to play more and more as I get older. I totally dominated while breaking all the rules last night.

I woke up and went to work for the first time in two weeks I hate my job
    I want to be on vacation all the time smoke weed make furniture travel around I could do it if I wanted but I'm a pussy and I like my income that I get for being a miserable son of a bitch I hate my job I love my life

Sent from my SM-A546V using Tapatalk

The Midlife Club

Fred…were you frightened by punctuation as a child? Perhaps some colon abuse?
    Last edited by irul&ublo; 03-27-2024 at 04:23 PM.
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    I'm the same way and I went back and forth so much now I can't play at all.
    Iceman is bi, in jeans
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Fred, that's just called a bad attitude. I blame the weed. But don't be so hard on yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    People seem intent on turning this into a retirement thread, but OP is not retired, just middle age and bored with the same-old same -old. There's a difference between that and filling the endless empty days and years of retirement.
    well yeah but it boils down to the same question ... how do I feel better about my life ?

and so we have 5 pages of everbuddy projecting their idea on how to feel better
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know