Gunsight Mountain OR Fatality

Avalanche Fatality on Gunsight Mountain in the Elkhorn Mountians on 3/6/24

At approximately 4:37pm on Wednesday, March 6th, Union County dispatch received a 911 call of an avalanche accident occurring on the north side of Gunsight Mountain (8342') in the Elkhorn Mountains near Anthony Lakes. This incident involved two backcountry skiers. One of the skiers triggered an avalanche near the top of the peak while descending the steep and prominent north-facing couloir and was carried approximately 800 vertical feet. The victim inflated an airbag pack and was not buried, but sustained life-threatening injuries. The victim's partner had skied the slope first, set up position in a safe zone, and was not impacted by the avalanche. The partner initiated a rescue and called 911 for assistance. Baker County and Union County SAR teams responded. Unfortunately, the victim succumbed to his injuries at the avalanche site.

A full investigation and report will be forthcoming in the coming days. Our backcountry community is small and we understand the tremendous grief many are experiencing. Our thoughts and prayers go out to all affected.
    Name:  IMG_1838.jpeg
Views: 1291
Size:  75.4 KB

You look at that from the lift all day skiing there. It’s so close to the ski area

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

"𝐆𝐮𝐧𝐬𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭 𝐌𝐨𝐮𝐧𝐭𝐚𝐢𝐧 𝐀𝐯𝐚𝐥𝐚𝐧𝐜𝐡𝐞 𝐂𝐥𝐚𝐢𝐦𝐬 𝐋𝐢𝐟𝐞 𝐨𝐟 𝐁𝐚𝐜𝐤𝐜𝐨𝐮𝐧𝐭𝐫𝐲 𝐒𝐤𝐢𝐞𝐫

BAKER COUNTY - (Release from the Baker County Sheriff's Office) On March 6, 2024 at approximately 4:38 p.m., Baker County Sheriff’s Office Dispatch received a report of an avalanche near Anthony Lakes Mountain Resort. The initial information indicated that two skiers were buried.
    Baker County Sheriff’s Deputies, Baker County Search and Rescue, Union County Search and Rescue, La Grande Fire Department, North Powder Rural Fire Protection District and Life Flight responded to the scene. When responders arrived, bystanders were performing CPR on Nicholas Scott Burks (37 yoa) of Wallowa, Oregon. Resuscitation efforts were unsuccessful, and Burks succumbed to his injuries. The other skier involved, identified as William Sterling Sloop (37 yoa) of Joseph, Oregon, was uninjured.
    During the investigation, it was determined that Sloop and Burks were skiing the chute on Gunsight Mountain. Both were experienced backcountry skiers and were equipped with avalanche air bags and beacons. Sloop was the first to arrive at the bottom and watched Burks begin to make his way down. An avalanche was triggered and overtook Burks. Sloop immediately turned on his transceiver and was able to locate Burks near a tree.
    A group of individuals at the lodge saw the avalanche occur and immediately notified first responders. The group made their way to the avalanche location and assisted with lifesaving efforts. We are grateful to those bystanders who immediately took action and performed CPR.
    Baker County Sheriff’s Office was assisted by Union County Search and Rescue, La Grande Fire Department, North Powder Rural Fire Protection District, Anthony Lakes Mountain Resort, Life Flight and Baker County Search and Rescue."

https://eaglecapmountainguides.com/our-guides/

Burks was one of my best friends and Willy is a very good friend of mine. They're professionals in every sense of the word and have spent their lives working in the mountains in every capacity. I read the information that's out there for the public and I have heard the first hand account of the entire day and the event that occurred from those involved. As an avalanche professional (not that it matters), if I were there, I would have made the same decision, and I would have skied it with them. None of that matters and it fucking sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by noparking View Post
    Burks was one of my best friends and Willy is a very good friend of mine.
    I’m so sorry about your friends and for your loss.

I sent you a PM.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Burks was one of my best friends and Willy is a very good friend of mine. They're professionals in every sense of the word and have spent their lives working in the mountains in every capacity. I read the information that's out there for the public and I have heard the first hand account of the entire day and the event that occurred from those involved. As an avalanche professional (not that it matters), if I were there, I would have made the same decision, and I would have skied it with them. None of that matters and it fucking sucks.
    So so sorry friend.

Sent from my SM-A536U using Tapatalk

I'm sorry dude.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Really sorry to hear. All avalanche deaths hit hard and especially hard for those who knew, loved and skied/recreated with those lost.

ETA:
    https://behavioralscientist.org/beha...lanche-deaths/

Long, but worthwhile.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

This is terrible, having made several trips with WAH, I know how tight your community is. Sorry for your loss

Oof that hurts. Bet that low lying fruit gets skiied a bit.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a-lakes-nordic-map-2021-lo-res-1-2048x1676.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	764.3 KB 
ID:	489776
    That looks like my kind of town.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    Really sorry to hear. All avalanche deaths hit hard and especially hard for those who knew, loved and skied/recreated with those lost.

ETA:

Long, but worthwhile.
    Very worthwhile. Thanks for the link.
    All conditions, all terrain.
    Expect nothing, don’t be disappointed.
    Too Old To Die Young (TOTDY)

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post

ETA:

Long, but worthwhile.
    Thanks everyone for the kind words, the community lost a truly amazing person. I will take the time to read the article

Oh man. So sorry noparking. RIP to your buddy.

big vibes to a small community. My heart goes out to the Wallowa county folk.

Oh jeez, I just now saw this. So sad.

noparking- sorry for your loss

Bunion- thanks for sharing a great article.

Vibes noparking. Losing a best friend in an accident is just terrible and tragic.

I’m wondering if it was the PWL that’s lingering in the Elkhorn and Wallowa. We’re dealing with the same problem here in the Wenatchee Mountains and it’s tough. No signs of instabilities this week touring, just loose dry sloughing. Dragons are lurking a couple feet down.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    I’m wondering if it was the PWL that’s lingering in the Elkhorn and Wallowa. We’re dealing with the same problem here in the Wenatchee Mountains and it’s tough. No signs of instabilities this week touring, just loose dry sloughing. Dragons are lurking a couple feet down.

Name:	Gunsight.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	861.9 KB 
ID:	489961

Name:	Gunsight-avalanche-crown.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	272.5 KB 
ID:	489962

Name:	March-6-Crown-Profile.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	456.0 KB 
ID:	489963

Is that bed crust from early February?

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    Is that bed crust from early February?

Believe so, from talking with the folks who went to do the investigation.

Name:	Gunsight-avalanche-crown.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	272.5 KB 
ID:	489962
    Jesus fuck.

Interesting link. Although I’m not sure heuristics did him in. Maybe. But most likely not. Also heuristical traps are the worst.

RIP to a very seasoned professional.
    That thing was huge. No way you can expect a six foot rip unless it’s forecast as no fucking way. So sad. Vibes to the friends and family
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    That thing was huge. No way you can expect a six foot rip unless it’s forecast as no fucking way. So sad. Vibes to the friends and family
    Look at the second picture. The one with the profile showing 70cm to where it failed.
    All conditions, all terrain.
    Expect nothing, don’t be disappointed.
    Too Old To Die Young (TOTDY)

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Jakal View Post
    Look at the second picture. The one with the profile showing 70cm to where it failed.
    Yes. Not throwing any shit.
    My point is here’s a very smart and experienced forecaster knowing there’s a deep pwl. But snow can bridge pwl.
    Until it doesn’t.
    Peace and powder days in Valhalla.
    . . .