Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Fixed my hand nunbness. Rev Grip short review

I'd tried everything.
    Tilting brakes down helped, ESI silicone grips in chunky and extra chunky helped, Ergon GP-1s helped, but nothing ever really stopped my hands from getting numb during a ride.

Read about Rev Grips but the tech behind it sounded iffy and $100 is a lot to gamble on iffy sounding tech. Found a used bike for my son with Rev Grips and decided it was a perfect opportunity to give them a shot. Took his bike out for a ride and, amazingly, no numbness. An occasional slight tingling but overall, a total win.

I did go to the slightly larger size sleeves and very happy with the results. Best of all, I don't notice any difference between these and "normal" grips. That twisting thing is so slight, I don't notice it but just get the benefits.
    Yeah, $100 is stupid $ for grips but I'd have paid twice that to eliminate the numbness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

I run them too. You can buy a "base" version which just has one set of dampers in it for around $50; can't tune it but it's half the cost.

Another cheaper option is BMX style grips. They are slip on grips withOUT the lock-on grip sleeves. The sleeves thin out the rubber, and make them more harsh. A full rubber grip is a lot more cushy.

Titanium bars also help A LOT removing trail chatter that passes right thru carbon and aluminum bars. I run them now and won't go back.

I have them on an older dh bike if mine. I don't like them due to the twisty feeling. If I remember correctly, I also didn't like the size... but I have small hands.

What improved my hand comfort was changing my grip to a more moto style i.e. holding the bar more like a doorknob.

Fwiw
    Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

I'm glad they're helping you, but in my experience they actually made my hands hurt more than normal grips with asymmetrical cushioning (like DMR Deathgrips). What actually cured hand numbness for me was regularly stretching the posterior chain of muscles that runs from the wrist all the way the the bottom of the lat.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    I've been a disciple of the church of Rev Grips for several years now. Glad they are helping you. I was turned onto them racing NAEC several years go. Weekend before hand/arm pump was killing me there on their big top to bottom descents. Someone suggested I try the revs. Ordered them and had them on by the next weekend for the race. Night and day.

I shudder to think I used to run paper thin dirt jumper grips like 90% of riders cause they "looked cool".

I would like to feel and try the grips, but at the price (and not having numbness) its an expensive demo..

cool idea and good its helped others

Here's a non-dentist option https://www.loamlab.bike/products/grips

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP IN7RO View Post
    thanks, From canada, so cheap shipping too. Interested to try this

There's several brands that make eccentric thickness lock-on grips like that.
    DMR Deathgrip
    OneUp
    ODI Elite Flow, AG-2
    Ergon GE1, GDH

As someone who runs the edge of my palm right on the end of the grip, while I liked the feedback of knowing where the end of my hand was on grips with an a thicker outer end, it seemed to contribute to hand numbness. This seemed especially true on grips with a hard outer skid plate (AG-2). The tradeoff of course is that grips without that (Deathgrips, OneUp) get torn up faster.

One final thought based on my grip experiments: grip diameter is really dependent on hand size. It seems obvious, but if you wear a size medium glove, a thick 34mm grip is probably too large. Larger grip diameter decreases the security of your grip (less finger/thumb wrap), which leads to you overgripping which in turn causes arm pump. A good example of this would be to try doing pullups on a bar with quite large diameter vs a smaller normal diameter, or doing deadlifts with a very thick bar instead of a more slender one.

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    thanks, From canada, so cheap shipping too. Interested to try this
    They are on sale right now. Also, their stem is simply elegant and made by North Shore Billet

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    One final thought based on my grip experiments: grip diameter is really dependent on hand size. It seems obvious, but if you wear a size medium glove, a thick 34mm grip is probably too large. Larger grip diameter decreases the security of your grip (less finger/thumb wrap), which leads to you overgripping which in turn causes arm pump. A good example of this would be to try doing pullups on a bar with quite large diameter vs a smaller normal diameter, or doing deadlifts with a very thick bar instead of a more slender one.
    I have found this ^^ same thing, I've had tennis elbow 5 times ( painful ) from WW paddling but not since i went to swinging a small shaft Werner paddle.

For the bike I like the ODI lock-ons because they are slim but also the lock-on ring protects the end of my grip riding in the PU bed

I got small hands so a slim grip with a glove that has a lot of padding works for me BUT " YMMV "
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP IN7RO View Post
    Really not at all the same thing. The deal with the Rev Grips is the small amount of rotation allowed.
    The linked ones don't do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    Good point. I wear an XL glove and went with the 32mm dia.

FWIW https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0891Y9ZSF

are an all rubber slip-on grip which eliminate a LOT of trail chatter. My wife uses them. They are long, cut down to size.

Good grips.

I run the expandable metal bar end caps, because I'm hitting rock-squeezers and trees in the tight spots all the time, and grips take a beating if you don't have them. Metal ones slip on the rocks/trees and aren't as grabby as the rubber ones, so I am less likely to crash LOL

I figure the rev grips would be too thicc. Thats the reason i ditched lock ons in favor of push ons. My wrists are pretty messed at this point and the ultra thin pushons work for me. Currently digging the renthals with renthal grip glue. Plus when i grab on to the bar to pull up over something i dont think i want grip float like the revs have. Itll take a lot for me to try something other than push ons at this point. It was getting scary hanging on at the bottom of long downhills. Just hanging on and losing speed. Much better now

Sent from my SM-A536W using TGR Forums mobile app

I now remember another thing I didn't like about the rev grips. Vagueness. The grip made the front end feel more vague. IOW blunted the feedback from the front tire. I guess this is the trade-off with decreasing vibration?

Mostly I have smaller hands and prefer thin gloves and small diameter grips coupled with a relaxed grip.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

I had a pair of Rev grips that came on a DH bike. Didn't love them, but I think my hand problems are different from the standard numb hand crowd. My big complaint was one of the clamp bolts stripped when I tried to remove them. I've never had an ODI bolt or any other clamp bolt strip. So I'd say swap out those soft bolts if nothing else.

I still think about going with carbon bars to help my poor hands. But about once every two years I see a broken carbon bar, and I never see a broken alloy bar. Watched one guy go straight down on his hand, shoulder, face right under a chairlift. Started moaning & screaming immediately. "My hand is fucked. My arm is fucked. Fuck Fuck Fuck". Looking right down on him from the chair. So yea, fuck that. Sore hands and thick foam grips it is.
    However many are in a shit ton.

I’ve been using the Ergon GP1 grips for at least 10 years. They addressed the hand issues I was having and I’ve become accustomed to their unconventional paddle style. I’ve always been curious if the Rev’s would provide similar comfort, but with conventional grip performance. It seems a bit of an investment to find out, pity they don’t have a satisfaction guarantee.

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    I’ve been using the Ergon GP1 grips for at least 10 years. They addressed the hand issues I was having and I’ve become accustomed to their unconventional paddle style. I’ve always been curious if the Rev’s would provide similar comfort, but with conventional grip performance. It seems a bit of an investment to find out, pity they don’t have a satisfaction guarantee.
    I had the GP-1s for a year or so and they were the best I'd tried (for hand numbness) up until now. The Rev Grips (for me) are a big upgrade.

Just got a pair of the cheap waffles to try because of this thread. My only worry is I like to ride with hand farther out on the bars. Thankfully they are going on a set that are 30mm wider than the rest, so hopefully it isn’t too big a deal.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Posted this in the experts thread but also relevant for hand numbness. I know a few riders who swear by these bars with elastomers to dampen vibrations. https://fasstmtb.com/collections/end...in-bike-enduro

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    Posted this in the experts thread but also relevant for hand numbness. I know a few riders who swear by these bars with elastomers to dampen vibrations. https://fasstmtb.com/collections/end...in-bike-enduro
    Oh yeah, I think I saw someone with one of those here in Missoula. They seemed to dig it.
    Grip shape and LSC adjustment seem to help my hands most. But that's just me.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Fixed my hand nunbness. Rev Grip short review

I also know people who’ve tried those bars and taken them off their bikes immediately.
    It’s an expensive experiment

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Yeah, more than I'm willing to pay. But for very long days on the bike, might be worth it. I've had more and more issues with hand numbness lately. Would be nice if you could demo them first but I'm not aware of any shops that carry them.

Quote Originally Posted by joetron View Post
    I also know people who’ve tried those bars and taken them off their bikes immediately.
    It’s an expensive experiment

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    They also look heavy.

How much is this numbness a function of everyone going to 35mm bar bore, do you guys think? My Next bars (carbon) seem as still as a 31.8mm aluminum bar. Maybe stiffer.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.