Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    But do you change clothes in the parking lot?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

IME I can only use the 135 underfoot ( which i consider big ) only work with enough snow so sometimes not for a couple of years , the lotus 120's i can use any time and i find that a versatile ski, a few skis in the 100-110 some 90-100 , the FIS norm GS skis have been great in this recent snow drought but it all depends on the day
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

There comes a point when a skier can ski pretty much any ski, anywhere, anytime. Doesn't mean said sticks are appropriate, but a true Master skier can make anything look good to amazing. Even a fucking 2x4.

That said, the Master is, by definition, rare. Except in here.

And even in this thread, I suspect a coupla yas.

So the post about learning to ski better is not necessarily a dig, but actually some good advice. It's hard to take, but most skiers are not open to that particular criticism, albeit entirely warranted.

I ski at JHMR daily and there are a ton of very high level skiers here and none of them have a disdain for narrower skis. Why? Because our groomers are miles long and DH racy. If ya think yer gonna hang with the daily pack on those fatties, well, good luck. And a real Ace could, but he'd know better, step into some skinnies and launch past the chubbies.

It occurs to me that maybe you're young enough to not have been on old school skinny skis. That too is a factor, like having no race pedigree.
    Old dogs like me learned the turn on them and in comparison, most of today's skis are a fucking cakewalk to ski.

A truly well rounded skier can turn most anything to some degree. So I'm gonna say hang in there and do the actual work required to be a better skier who isn't stumped by a handful of millimeters.

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    <snip>
    It occurs to me that maybe you're young enough to not have been on old school skinny skis. That too is a factor, like having no race pedigree.
    Old dogs like me learned the turn on them and in comparison, most of today's skis are a fucking cakewalk to ski.
    This is an important point. When your first pair of "powder boards" were 80mm under foot, your point of reference is quite a bit different than if your first powder boards were 120mm.

Name:  volkl-snow-rangers1.jpg
Views: 502
Size:  42.7 KB

FTR - I'm a skilless hack, but 96 under foot *still* kinda feels like cheating in pow.

Quote Originally Posted by LHutz Esq View Post
    Having to pick from a quiver of one is just sad.

Get them all.

I have collected everything from 165cm sl fis skis with a 13m radius, to a 180 gs ski, to some 95cm waisted dailies, 95cm spring touring, 110 daily touring, 120 pow ski, to the 140 Flatypus Alotas that just sit on the wall waiting for "that day"

They are all fun. You definitely need to know how to ski to turn the gs skis, and you have to be on top of the sl skis as well, but if you are they are so much more fun than fat skis in low tide conditions.

Skiing is all about variety and wonton consumerism (ya I know I spelled that wrong and now I really want dumplings).
    I was going to open a place (or write a comedy skit) called:

"Juan's One Ton Wanton Wontons"

Drivethru:

"Welcome to Juan's One Ton Wanton Wontons
    How many One Ton Wanton Wontons by Juan would you like?"

Oh, and one should be able to ski skinny skis ...

And have fat quiver!

Quote Originally Posted by pfluffenmeister View Post
    I was going to open a place (or write a comedy skit) called:

"Juan's One Ton Wanton Wontons"

Drivethru:

"Welcome to Juan's One Ton Wanton Wontons
    How many One Ton Wanton Wontons by Juan would you like?"

Oh, and one should be able to ski skinny skis ...

And have fat quiver!

What you pick to ski is your business. It’s your time, your energy, and your money spent on access. Just understand when you’re doing big ski energy on a mismatched day - you may be a beater with too few skis. Or at least the people with skills and passion, view it this way.

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    But do you change clothes in the parking lot?

Has too, if you own some SL skis big chance you have a boot bag you take into the lodge or locker room.

I have quite a few day where snow conditions are bad enough that I'll stay on the groomers all day. If I had to ski +100mm skis on those days, I'd rather stay home. Ripping icy groomers on master GS skis is serious fun.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by LHutz Esq View Post
    Having to pick from a quiver of one is just sad.

Get them all.

I have collected everything from 165cm sl fis skis with a 13m radius, to a 180 gs ski, to some 95cm waisted dailies, 95cm spring touring, 110 daily touring, 120 pow ski, to the 140 Flatypus Alotas that just sit on the wall waiting for "that day"

They are all fun. You definitely need to know how to ski to turn the gs skis, and you have to be on top of the sl skis as well, but if you are they are so much more fun than fat skis in low tide conditions.

Skiing is all about variety and wonton consumerism (ya I know I spelled that wrong and now I really want dumplings).
    A quiver of one is perfect for somebody who only skis one way and one type of snow. The more types of terrain and snow you ski the more types of skis you need.

I get giddy as hell when the suns out, the cord is plush and firm and I have my 183 Monster 82’s with all metal 977 Equipes clamped to my feets. The Geeees are gonna be real!

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    I get giddy as hell when the suns out, the cord is plush and firm and I have my 183 Monster 82’s with all metal 977 Equipes clamped to my feets. The Geeees are gonna be real!

If I had to guess, I'd say we hit about 20k vert speeding around the village the other day. Not really full tilt boogie, but fast laps.
    All in a coupla/few hours.
    Def a few G's involved.

Quote Originally Posted by SoVT Joey View Post
    soft has zero to do with the width. A bodacious is stiffer then tons of skis on the market and it’s 122mm
    Thanks for you contribution boss. Keep it up with quick posts like that and you’ll hit 3000 quick.

It was the particular ski that I thought was soft and better suited to touring duty, not because of the width.

Skiing is fun, ski on skis that make it so. If you're not having fun, what's the point?

This wasn't the discussion you were expecting OP but it's a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by colerichardmyers@gmail.com View Post
    Friday morning musings. I have been getting out on some skinnier skis i.e. 95-100 width. I must say I just don't like them. I thought it'd be nice to have a low tide ski, but I have come to realize I just like a ski in the 108-114 range regardless of the conditions for my DD. I'll take a fatter ski for big pow days obviously. Anyone else like this?

I should add that I would describe myself as big mountain/freeride type skier. I almost always ski off-piste and use groomers to just get to other off-piste. I love dropping off stuff, jumping off stuff, steep chutes, big open bowls, etc. Due to this I've always tended to grab more freeride-type skis. The shitty conditions in the PNW as of late had me thinking about a low tide ski to just mess around on, which brought me to trying several 95-100 width skis.
    Is your trg username your personal email address? If so, that is Freakin' awesome!

As for girth, horses for courses. My favorite DD ski is a 183cm CT 1.0 that is 92 underfoot. My favorite ski is a renegade 122 underfoot. Sometimes skiing SL or GS skis. All depends on what surface and terrain we r skiing.

Like Sir Mix A Lot said.... 24-36-24 only if she's five three. Size matters, but its all relative.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Quote Originally Posted by skinipenem View Post
    Like Sir Mix A Lot said.... 24-36-24 only if she's five three. Size matters, but its all relative.
    …that relative of yours is a little unusual…

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    …that relative of yours is a little unusual…
    Got a reverse sidecut on her that one

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    There comes a point when a skier can ski pretty much any ski, anywhere, anytime. Doesn't mean said sticks are appropriate, but a true Master skier can make anything look good to amazing. Even a fucking 2x4.

That said, the Master is, by definition, rare. Except in here.

And even in this thread, I suspect a coupla yas.

So the post about learning to ski better is not necessarily a dig, but actually some good advice. It's hard to take, but most skiers are not open to that particular criticism, albeit entirely warranted.

I ski at JHMR daily and there are a ton of very high level skiers here and none of them have a disdain for narrower skis. Why? Because our groomers are miles long and DH racy. If ya think yer gonna hang with the daily pack on those fatties, well, good luck. And a real Ace could, but he'd know better, step into some skinnies and launch past the chubbies.

A truly well rounded skier can turn most anything to some degree. So I'm gonna say hang in there and do the actual work required to be a better skier who isn't stumped by a handful of millimeters.
    Hang it in the Louvre
    Last edited by DoubleBogey; 02-23-2024 at 09:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by colerichardmyers@gmail.com View Post
    Friday morning musings. I have been getting out on some skinnier skis i.e. 95-100 width. I must say I just don't like them. I thought it'd be nice to have a low tide ski, but I have come to realize I just like a ski in the 108-114 range regardless of the conditions for my DD. I'll take a fatter ski for big pow days obviously. Anyone else like this?
    Welcome to the Church.

All this skinnier ski shit is marketing hype trying to move product.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

My quiver is pretty bloated with +110 skis at the moment, with a little overlap. I’m going the opposite direction and hunting for a fun 85 - 95 ski that I can improve my carving, bumps and steeps on because I know those are the things that I struggle with.

I fucking love fat skis, but there’s something to be said for using a better tool to improve your all roundedness. But as this thread shows, it’s pretty user specific.

Im out east now and my skinny is a mfree 99. I dont want anything skinnier and if i find a similar ski in a 10? and tougher bases I'll get that next. Currently lusting a mvp108. Maybe 7 cm of fresh today and i split the day between my BG 116 and the mfree99. Maybe 108 would suit all my needs. I only have so many groomers before i start looking for shit fuck. #thiccftw

Sent from my SM-A536W using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Welcome to the Church.

All this skinnier ski shit is marketing hype trying to move product.
    Talk about a beater who needs a ski lesson and ski consultation 🤣j/k

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeLuke View Post
    Talk about a beater who needs a ski lesson and ski consultation ��j/k
    Lissen sonny, I was railing 210 GS boards on Exterminator or Nash in pnw glop after spending years skating midwest bolt ice CUSSA slalom courses.

Sure, there's a time and place and speed for narrow boards on sweet cord in the sun or styrofoam pack gr00mer rage blear.

And fatties, especially my fatties, flap at speed.

But in the churn, the debris fields and long shots of deep pow or crust, the fatties, for me at least, r00l. Plus, I don't really ski fast and given the option, I'll ski the chop slow.

To each their own in their own way, though, but forgive me for being suspect of marketing.

��j/k !!!
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by skinipenem View Post
    QFT