Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    Like 98% of TGR posters.
    FIFY

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    If he had been carrying a Glock 9, he could have just unloaded a clip on that rock and blasted it into smithereens and avoided the fall completely
    I mean honestly......going out not carrying seems kinda dumb. There are so many cAses where you need a gun in ski mountainneering. In Chamonix they carry them outside their Packs to have them ready when it's steep. 2 glocks minimum. The guides usually carry an AR15 as well for their clients.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    I mean honestly......going out not carrying seems kinda dumb. There are so many cAses where you need a gun in ski mountainneering. In Chamonix they carry them outside their Packs to have them ready when it's steep. 2 glocks minimum. The guides usually carry an AR15 as well for their clients.
    What would you call this post? Its not really satire, sarcasm, or even, humor in any sense. What is it?
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    What would you call this post? Its not really satire, sarcasm, or even, humor in any sense. What is it?
    It's Sex. Pure Sex. Like Barry white singing in Forum form..

The God's must be crazy kind of luck, right there
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Don't you 'member that wicked Easter Bunny east coast couloir conquest?

You’re a humorless dolt

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Frank advice? I guess maybe you could quibble that a SIG Sauer is the better option for sidearm when you need to blast some rocks on the downhill...

Old news but at the time, and still, it just doesn't look like this guy has the skills to be safely navigating terrain like that in variable conditions. Don't know much about his background except he grew up on the east side of Denver and went to the military. His skiing reeks of someone who learned to ski in the backcountry, later in life, or at least ever skied enough to actually get good.

That said, he's apparently strong, resourceful, and determined. Looking at his socials, he's now racked up some big objectives including in the Himalaya so good for him.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Quote Originally Posted by Anachronist View Post
    Frank advice? I guess maybe you could quibble that a SIG Sauer is the better option for sidearm when you need to blast some rocks on the downhill...
    Are you sure? I think I saw a recent article in Arms & Mountaineering that the sig is not the top choice for harsh mountain environments and lacks the required Rock blasting firepower? Am I mistaken?
    The article about blasting rocks from base Camp with a .50 caliber has me thinking about adding some firepower to the quiver.

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    Are you sure? I think I saw a recent article in Arms & Mountaineering that the sig is not the top choice for harsh mountain environments and lacks the required Rock blasting firepower? Am I mistaken?
    The article about blasting rocks from base Camp with a .50 caliber has me thinking about adding some firepower to the quiver.
    Plus, if you're stuck in super steep terrain no way is a good guy with a pistol going to be able to build a safe picket.

Enter the AR.

Answer is always AK
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    Answer is always AK
    It's not a good day if I gotta pull out my AK.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

I'm pretty anti gun, but that dude could've used an AK fer sure.

Wow, did he get lucky. And what the hell was he thinking with that turn? Armchair quarterbacking, but seriously wth?

And why no whippet or other self arrest tool?

Shit that makes you go hmmmmm.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

I listened to the podcast he did about this incident and the big thing that struck me was when asked something along the lines of “how could you have avoided this accident” his answer was “I could have turned better”….. that’s it. No, I could have side slipped a bit, maybe done a stem Christy, etc. His take on a self arrest tool is that if you have a need for a self arrest tool that you should be down climbing. Yet he didn’t acknowledge that down climbing the top section that was thin and rocky was an option. I’m assuming his list of options and tools to deal with situations has grown, since he seems to be doing bigger lines regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by pfluffenmeister View Post
    Plus, if you're stuck in super steep terrain no way is a good guy with a pistol going to be able to build a safe picket.

Enter the AR.
    Right?
    See my post above. Guides in Cham always carry one for the clients.

Quote Originally Posted by pfluffenmeister View Post
    Don't you 'member that wicked Easter Bunny east coast couloir conquest?
    The roving gray wolf packs of NH - known widely for taking down many skiers. You just never know... That's why I also carry a BP cuff and some IV bags with me too.
    Gravity. It's the law.

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    It's not a good day if I gotta pull out my AK.
    Even if you had a breakfast with no hog???
    Gravity. It's the law.

Quote Originally Posted by Anachronist View Post
    Too bad the gubmint won't let us own 40mm for avy control m'right? Just something so classy about an m79 slung on the side of a good bc pack huh?
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Quote Originally Posted by Shred Baron View Post
    I listened to the podcast he did about this incident and the big thing that struck me was when asked something along the lines of “how could you have avoided this accident” his answer was “I could have turned better”….. that’s it. No, I could have side slipped a bit, maybe done a stem Christy, etc. His take on a self arrest tool is that if you have a need for a self arrest tool that you should be down climbing. Yet he didn’t acknowledge that down climbing the top section that was thin and rocky was an option. I’m assuming his list of options and tools to deal with situations has grown, since he seems to be doing bigger lines regularly.

Yea, I'd also say, just focusing on the turn, just saying turn better is not really even looking into just that turn. He didn't just seem clumsy, he seemed hypoxiated (is that a word it should be!) or exhausted or perhaps target fixation or something but did not simply just seem clumsy, really the turn itself seemed fine, if the rock hadn't of been there it would have been okish, if not really solid, but its that he just seemed to not plan ahead for where that turn was going to end up or something. It really doesn't seem like, just focus more, it seems like theres probably a variety of variables that led to that turn.