Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Who makes the perfect spring / touring glove?

Looking to upgrade from some unlined Kinco’s to a proper touring / spring glove. Any recommendations?

Ideally
    - Full leather palm
    - Breathable but windstopper back
    - minimal lining, zero insulation.
    - dexterous as fuck

Oyuki Malachi?
    Flylow DB?
    FTP BC Glove?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

OR Stormtracker for spring, Milwaukee Level 1 cut glove for summer

If you can stand this years god awful colors. These fall on the far end of the breathable and dexterous spectrum. There is only mesh on the side of the fingers between the palm material and the back of the hand. https://tokous.com/toko-profi/

You are describing exactly Haglofs Touring glove

Cheap mountain bike gloves. If you want even cheaper go for closeout motocross gloves. They have windstopper versions too but I don't find I need those for the spring/summer.

I just picked up a pair of these from my local hardware store. Meets your description, and they were only $20. I used a hair dryer to work snoseal in to the leather. I've used them on three tours in the last couple weeks in our spring-like PNW conditions--I'm very happy with them so far.

https://kinco.com/101-s
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kinco.JPG 
Views:	121 
Size:	105.0 KB 
ID:	486957

If it’s actually warmish, best life hack I’ve found is to use MTB gloves. Basically prevents against blisters on long tours and touching snow briefly, otherwise no real warmth. Sometimes I even do this mid winter if temps are mild.

otherwise, my go-to touring glove is the BD cirque hybrid. Super breathable, water resistant enough, durable after two seasons, and the skimo-nerdy-built-in overmitt actually works super well. Most winter tours, if I’m keeping the pace fast, I’m never putting on real gloves/mittens for the ski down, I just pop the overmitt on. I hate skimo fashion but these are pretty elite.

Hestra Ergo Grip Active
    Montani Semper Liberi

Quote Originally Posted by MarsB View Post
    Hestra Ergo Grip Active
    this, end thread
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

Wells Lamont hydra hyde water resistant work gloves. Cheap, dexterous.

I bought a multi pack at Costco last spring, they're great. Very cheap on sale, something like $30 for four pair.

Edit - they were $40 for 6 pair.

https://www.amazon.com/Wells-Lamont-...BoCEWwQAvD_BwE
    Last edited by El Chupacabra; 02-15-2024 at 07:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by waxman View Post
    this, end thread
    also this. warning - they're a bit on the warm side for later spring/summer volcano shit, but that point I'm using cheap ass sun gloves or whatever - just for blister prevention.

I've been using mountain bike gloves, they last a long time and work better than any touring gloves i had

Sent from my moto g 5G using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by waveshello View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kinco.JPG 
Views:	121 
Size:	105.0 KB 
ID:	486957
    How do these Kincos fit? I love the Kinco Classic with the fabric back. Most gloves I'm a L/XL, but in the kinco classics I'm a small! I think they're sized for burlier men than I

Quote Originally Posted by MarsB View Post
    Hestra Ergo Grip Active
    This is all you need. Its worth EVERY penny

https://www.hestrajob.us/kobolt-czone-tan

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Almost all of the gloves mentioned in this thread aren't warm enough for me end of thread, so YMMV as they say

I usually carry 3 pair and change them up as needed, i often go to a well used BD alpine glove from 10 yrs ago that might be a little beat out and its perfect

And BTW there is no perfect there is just what works for you
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

The FTP BC glove is lightly insulated. I used mine today as the warmest gloves I brought while touring in the mid 20s F. My hands run warm though, so the FTP BC glove would be a good midwinter glove for me for inbounds (FTP SX would be more than I need). I can't imagine using these in the spring! YMMV.

I am typically wearing a thin breathable liner glove on the skin track in both winter and spring but they aren't durable for ripping skins or bashing through alders.

For durable and thin I have had good luck with the Wells Lamont gloves for spring touring; I can wear them on the up and the down. They are really durable for a <$20 glove. I just replaced my original set after 6 years, extra impressive as I use them for climbing (belay duty, rappelling routes, alpine rock routes, even used for an aid route on El Cap). I sew on little loops to clip the to my harness but also makes them easier to pull on when your hands are damp.

duh, best ever

Name:  s_63da90ec04166dd3c9d7c941.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  18.6 KB
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I use hestra goatskin leather “driver” work gloves. Like their gardening gloves. Super cheap. Pretty bomber. Not great if you will have your hand in snow a lot, and they have a really short wrist section so you may or may not like that. But I love em.
    $17
    https://a.co/d/fkto3MU

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    https://www.hestrajob.us/kobolt-czone-tan

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    yup, love mine!

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Looking to upgrade from some unlined Kinco’s to a proper touring / spring glove. Any recommendations?

Ideally
    - Full leather palm
    - Breathable but windstopper back
    - minimal lining, zero insulation.
    - dexterous as fuck
    That is an exact description of the Hestra Ergogrip Active. not only is the Ergogrip design really good at following the curve of your hand, but Hestra also makes them in numbered sizes, so you can get just the right size, which is key to dexterity. In OR recently, I tried on a model, and men’s M was too big, but women’s M too small, and men’s S is supposed to be even smaller than that.

The only thing missing for me on the Ergo Actives is touchscreen compatibility. And since it’s a snug fitting glove, with tight Velcro cuff, it’s not super fast to pull them on and off. But you didn’t mention that.

To be clear, due to the Windstopper, these are not for touring in warm sun without wind. But great for lift served in those conditions, and for skinning in windy or cool/cold weather.

The Hestra work gloves are nice too, but not nearly at the level of dexterity and fit of the Ergogrip.
    I wouldn’t go for the C zone versions of any of these for this use, as breathability is not great, and due to the extra layer of the waterproof insert, you lose dexterity.
    (Not that it’s not good for some uses, just not for this)

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    OR Stormtracker for spring, Milwaukee Level 1 cut glove for summer
    I have a pair of Stormtrackers I picked up on closeout 6+ years ago that I probably have hundreds of days in. Still holding strong. They are my "lightweight/uphill" glove during the winter in SW CO, and my "middleweight" glove for spring. Highly recommend.

I use FTP Backcountry’s (lightly insulated) and Flylow John Henrys (unlined) to cover most ski touring conditions. Fit, dexterity and durability are all perfectly adequate. Lots of poorly fitting options (OR, Kinco) out there, and anything without extra leather on the high wear zones (FTP have this dialed) just isn’t going to last.. the fit and suppleness of the Hestra Ergos is unrivalled, but I’m never going to spend that much on something that won’t last any longer than some $25 gardening gloves. FTP should just make unlined version of the backcountry.

I've gone modular and really liked it.

(1) Hestra Pull Over Leather Mitt (leather palm + Gore Infinium back) to slide on for skiing/cold/windy
    (2) BD Softshell gloves for skinning and skiing in warm conditions.
    (3) 100% brisker mtb gloves once the BD LT are too much

I bought all 3 BD softshell gloves on sale ($25ea IIRC) not knowing how thick/heavier they are. Out of 30ish touring days, have needed something heavier than the LT 3 times (but I run super hot). A buddy is using the Medium wt glove with the Hestra mitts and has been happy with them 100% of the time this season. He is skiing about 50/50 with the overmitt (cold or deep snow), and 50% just with the glove itself. The BD will not last forever, and at 25-30 days, the LT is starting to show a little wear, but not too bad.

The Hestra overmitts fold tiny, slide right into the pocket, and make running minimal gloves for just the up more palatable. I think they go for around $50.

Hestra Ergogrip Active are a winter skinning glove for me. They are too warm for most spring days. I like Petzl Cordex or FJ Golf Gloves for going uphill in the spring.