Tibial plateau fracture

So I’ve been reading my MRI notes before my upcoming doc visit this Thursday.

Good news: my acl is still intact
    Bad news: small anterolateral tibial plateau subchondral fracture (non-depressed/non-displaced)

Anyone have experience with this? Near term skiability? Long term prognosis with knee pain?

Yeah, in one of my blown ACL's I shattered the condyles. Was not an ongoing issue.
    I was pretty young on that one, though, so YMMV. Ask your ortho. My guy didn't say anything about it which made me assume it wasn't a concern, which I guess was true.
    [quote][//quote]

That sounds painful.

My (foot and ankle) surgeon buddy says it’s about as good a prognosis as I could get considering it’s fractured at all, I’m just two weeks out from a Park City trip and wondering what I can get away with.

Shouldn’t be a bid deal long term. The eldest pretty much crushed hers a couple years ago, out 8 weeks, no residual. You’ll likely be non weight bearing for a while so it can heal. Don’t try and get back earlier. That’s stupidity at its finest.
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    Shouldn’t be a bid deal long term. The eldest pretty much crushed hers a couple years ago, out 8 weeks, no residual. You’ll likely be non weight bearing for a while so it can heal. Don’t try and get back earlier. That’s stupidity at its finest.
    I pride myself on the quality of my stupidity!

It’s been weight bearing with no pain since a few days after the incident (about 3.5 weeks) but obviously non-impact weight bearing.
    There’s some legacy cartilage damage from prior acl/meniscus injury on that knee but doesn’t sound like anything new, which I’m hoping is beneficial to recovery.

Tibial plateau fracture

There may be some room for interpretation. Not all “subchondral fractures” are the same. This may be more of a glorified bone bruise. The fact that you’ve been weight bearing pain free and there was no depression is a good sign. It takes a while for the bone marrow edema to resolve radiographically

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by jerlane; 02-12-2024 at 06:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki View Post
    Yeah, in one of my blown ACL's I shattered the condyles. Was not an ongoing issue.
    I was pretty young on that one, though, so YMMV. Ask your ortho. My guy didn't say anything about it which made me assume it wasn't a concern, which I guess was true.
    What did they do to fix your shattered condyles?

Quote Originally Posted by jerlane View Post
    There may be some room for interpretation. Not all “subchondral fractures” are the same. This may be more of a glorified bone bruise. The fact that you’ve been weight bearing pain free and there was no depression is a good sign. It takes a while for the bone marrow edema to resolve radiographically

^this
    Got the ok from the doc to proceed within my comfort level.
    Basically bone bruise on non-weight bearing part of knee (and dealing with some residual knee issues dating back to first acl reconstruction a few decades ago) but no surgery/etc required.

Since everything was non displaced and her growth plates were not involved it was straight leg brace non weight bearing. Got lucky for sure.
    I rip the groomed on tele gear