Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Dual Assguys is mental. I did it once when its all I had in the garage. Both MaxxGrip too lol. I couldn't get the bike to drift at all even in pretty much loose gravel/sand/marbles. Crazy slow too.
    I ride my DH bike downhill. Grip is good when I’m scared. Grip is good when I go fast because better braking means better fast.
    I ride my Ebike uphill with help from my Emotor. Then I ride my Ebike downhill. Grip is good.
    I don’t do cross country. Context helps.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

2.5 ass guy front/ 2.4 minion DHR II is the popular combo,

I got it in DD , good traction good wear, no flats

fucking expensive to replace
    Last edited by XXX-er; 02-21-2024 at 12:21 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

knolly bikes:
    https://knollybikes.com/en-ca
    Save 40% OFF the Fugitive trail bike & 30% OFF the Tyaughton Steel hardtail.
    Get an additional 20% OFF the sale price of the second bike when you purchase 2!

Ignore
    Last edited by Ørion; 02-23-2024 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Woops, wrong thread jong

All of the Costco carbon Intense 951 bikes are discounted:
    https://www.costco.com/CatalogSearch...d=intense+bike

$2000 for the Trail (Primer frame)
    $1800 for the XC (Sniper T frame)
    $1500 for the gravel SRAM build (not sure what frame this is--probably some open mold OEM option)
    GRX build looks sold out right now.

Seems like good deals if that's what you're looking for, but I'm not at this point given all the other sales that have occurred. Might be interesting to try to get my wife on the XC, but I think I'd want a much lighter weight build for her.

Gravel is interesting, but I think it is pretty ugly and I'm not sure what to expect from the frameset. Seems like a nice entry point if you are looking to do some gravel riding, but more of a side-grade for my current setup.

Quote Originally Posted by singlesline View Post
    All of the Costco carbon Intense 951 bikes are discounted:
    https://www.costco.com/CatalogSearch...d=intense+bike

$2000 for the Trail (Primer frame)
    $1800 for the XC (Sniper T frame)
    $1500 for the gravel SRAM build (not sure what frame this is--probably some open mold OEM option)
    GRX build looks sold out right now.

Seems like good deals if that's what you're looking for, but I'm not at this point given all the other sales that have occurred. Might be interesting to try to get my wife on the XC, but I think I'd want a much lighter weight build for her.

Gravel is interesting, but I think it is pretty ugly and I'm not sure what to expect from the frameset. Seems like a nice entry point if you are looking to do some gravel riding, but more of a side-grade for my current setup.
    JFC, I’m currently looking for a FS for around $2000. Can anyone comment on that Intense Trail Bike? Any reasons I shouldn’t pull the trigger?

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    JFC, I’m currently looking for a FS for around $2000. Can anyone comment on that Intense Trail Bike? Any reasons I shouldn’t pull the trigger?
    I owned one for a season before I cracked the top tube in a crash--Costco actually took it back as a return, seemed debatable whether that was the "right" thing to do, but I found some discussion of the top tube on those frames being thin and the costco worker didn't complain about taking it back after I told her that I crashed but I didn't think the crash should have broken the bike.

I thought it was a pretty fun bike--you can probably find some other posts of me talking about it (in the <$4k trail bike thread probably). Basically it is an Intense Primer frame with a different paint job and a bit of a parts-bin build that is a step below the "Primer Expert".

You get a Rhythm fork (little heavier, can't upgrade the damper, but otherwise perfectly fine). NX Drivetrain (I never had any problems--figured I would just upgrade pieces if they got funny, but they never did). I liked the feel of the TRP Slate T4 brakes they included. Geometry maybe isn't on the leading edge of things, but it seemed fine. Came with bottle+cage and a tool kit including a nice torque wrench.

Biggest downside IMHO was the wheelset. Pretty generic OEM set (probably the same as this $154 wheelset) and uses an HG cassette which means that if you want to upgrade your wheels you're stuck upgrading your cassette at the same time. But they roll, and I don't think they were boat anchors. Looks like the current builds spec Kenda Pinner 2.4" tires--I have no experience with those, mine came with 2.6" regolith pros which seemed good in my local terrain.

I think the XC is a little more interesting as the Sniper T is a frameset that people had a lot of good things to say about. The Primer isn't bad, but I don't think it was something that people raved about when it came out...but if you want 150/140mm travel, 2k for a new bike with warranty AND costco return policy seems like a good deal.

^^^ thanks, great info. The other bike that I’ve got my eyes on is the 2021 Norco Fluid 1, that I can get locally at an LBS for the same price as this Intense. Here are the specs. I believe overall it’s better component-wise but it has less travel and is 2 lbs heavier?

https://www.norco.com/bike-archives/...21-fluid-fs-1/

^^^ thanks, great info. The other bike that I’ve got my eyes on is the 2021 Norco Fluid 1, that I can get locally at an LBS for the same price as this Intense. Here are the specs. I believe overall it’s better component-wise but it has less travel and is 2 lbs heavier?

norco:
    pro: nicer wheels
    Con: Al vs carbon frame (that is some of the 2 pounds)
    I think a bit lower end suspension, but I'm a fox snob too.

PSA/Deals Thread

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    norco:
    pro: nicer wheels
    Con: Al vs carbon frame (that is some of the 2 pounds)
    I think a bit lower end suspension, but I'm a fox snob too.
    The Pike isn’t as good as the Fox fork on the Intense?

The Pike isn’t as good as the Fox fork on the Intense?
    They're roughly equivalent. Select level Rockshox and Rhythm level Fox are both lower end, OEM only. They go squish, but if you're pushing the bike very hard they lose out on a lot of the performance (and adjustability) that you get with the higher end stuff.

Edit to add: I'd take the SLX / XT drivetrain on the Norco over the NX on the Intense. I'd expect the Norco to be a bit more durable overall, but both are probably fine. I don't think there's a clear winner between the two. Buying a bike from a local shop might be preferable to buying from Costco; depends on the shop.

IMHO a Pike (Charger damper) is much better than a Fox Performance with the Grip 1 damper.

I find RockShox generally much more plush and tuneable than Fox, until you get to the Fox 36 and higher end dampers (Grip 2).
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

A friend of mine was on a Primer for a bunch of years. A bit big for me but I got to ride it some, and then demo'd one in a more appropriate size. I might have bought one if it weren't for shortages during covifd. It really liked the way it pedaled. Felt real firm on climbs and then nice an plush on the descents. Friend rode it all over the place. I wouldn't hesitate to buy it if I was in the market for a bike. Just upgrade components as they wear out.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    IMHO a Pike (Charger damper) is much better than a Fox Performance with the Grip 1 damper.

I find RockShox generally much more plush and tuneable than Fox, until you get to the Fox 36 and higher end dampers (Grip 2).
    The fork on the Intense 951 is a FOX Rhythm 36 Float, not Fox Performance.

The fork on the Intense 951 is a FOX Rhythm 36 Float, not Fox Performance.
    The Fox Rhythm has the same damper as the Performance, but the Rhythm uses a heavier chassis (different aluminum).
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I think it's down to preference to some degree. The air spring is a little different in the Rhythm as well.

My scale goes like this: Rhythm > RS Select > Performance. Select over Rhythm since it's the same chassis as the Ultimate. I think the upper-end stuff is close. They are just better at different things, and rider weight and preference are big. I love my new Lyrik, but I am not a fan of my Zeb and am switching it to a 38.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

I think it comes down to what are you gonna ride. Both bikes have pros and cons, but do you want a 150/140 travel bike or a 130/120?

And if you want a 130/120, then the better comparison might be the 951 XC (Sniper T) for $1800 which is much more of a "downcountry" bike than an actual XC race bike. It is 120/120 and has trail bike geometry. Build kit is pretty similar to the 951 Trail other than scaled down suspension. A Medium with tubes supposedly lands at 28.25lbs which is a big chunk less than the Norco

With a wheelset upgrade down the line and replacing the NX bits as they wear, it would probably be a pretty sick short travel bike. I'd buy one for my wife right now if I thought she'd actually ride it as I've already got a suitable wheelset laying around.

edit: plus the blue color XC is the least ugly of the 951 bikes in my opinion.

That Intense gravel bike is interesting, but I have a hard tail mountain bike that is about the same weight, so I really don't know how much use I would get out of it.
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

LOTS of rocky bikes are -30% gravel, hardtail, powerplay

https://bikes.com/en-ca/collections/rocky-mountain-days

I would imagine any stocking dealers would possible offer 35-40%, but I do know they decreased dealer margins not so long ago.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Level 9 has some great deals on the C70 Instinct (45% off).
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

North Shore Rack is having a rare sale.

Jenson is blowing out Fox 38s (no tax, free ship):

38 Performance Grip 2 29" $499
    38 Factory 29" $599

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    North Shore Rack is having a rare sale.
    Can’t remember, do we as the collective like NS racks? I need to pick a rack up but there are so many options. Some are better. Some suck. Worth putting down $$?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums