Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    The Armada Declivity 102 and 92 seem interesting for a daily and a low tide ski...
    anyone on them with feedback?
    (I do agree with others, a sub 90mm ski is useful in the quiver and makes groomer zooming days fun, but not the tool for the OP here being 60% off piste...)
    I want to say there were some Kastle FX96TI's on the used lot here recently.

The most fun I've had on groomers was on a used non FIS GS ski I picked up cheap. Not a good ski for weekends though.
    I have the older Enforcer 93--excellent on groomers, can still handle snow a day or three old (depends on where I'm skiing) as well as light fresh.

Quote Originally Posted by waxloaf View Post
    He did say he’s still off-piste 60% of the time when it’s low tide. Seems like a really good use case for a ~95ish waist ski that’s a good carver, but not a pure carver

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This.

Not sure where he is in the NW…. But true PNW skiing doesn’t include a lot of high quality groomers to carve.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

He did say he’s still off-piste 60% of the time when it’s low tide. Seems like a really good use case for a ~95ish waist ski that’s a good carver, but not a pure carver
    I’m with you in the sense that we need a 95 in the arsenal. I’m more heavy in skis sub >100 than I have been in 15 years. All four of them have a place and survived quiver thinning efforts. Never been happier on the mountain.
    *Heritage Homie R99 comps- versatile hammer
    *‘22/23 Stockli SR 95 - cruising ski
    *DPS Cassiar Alchemist 95 - 50/50 tool (punch above weight in pow)
    *‘08 Stockli SR 94 DP pro - bitchin boney ski

My advice would be get a ski outside of a ‘quiver of one type’, I see mentioned above.
    Kastle models have held me down in this slot for many a years.

Kastle 96ti are great. I think the added mass of the 106ti makes it a more fun ski though.

Every once in a while I convince myself to buy a narrow ski for groomers and firm, and every time I do I inevitably take them off piste and wish I had something wider.

I think skis in the 80-range are fun on groomers and bumps but as soon as there's 3d snow I find them too narrow.

I've sold every pair of skis less than 90mm under foot within a year of buying them, with the exception of 1. I have a pair of blaze 86 but I bought them for teaching my son to ski because they are light. They are not likely what you want for what you're asking for as they are not very powerful and can be overpowered.

They are a little better than previous 80-something skis off piste, but still not great. They are a hoot in moguls and doing short radius medium speed carving.

Sent from my SM-A536W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Commander 98 if you can find one. Enough backbone to be fun carving on firm, but also handle off piste great.

Enforcer 94.

Quote Originally Posted by phatty View Post
    Commander 98 if you can find one. Enough backbone to be fun carving on firm, but also handle off piste great.
    Newer 102 Commander is a rad ski, also.

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    4FRNT MSP99

Quote Originally Posted by chaka View Post
    4FRNT MSP99
    Seconded

Good chance to try a Stockli.

*edit... rephrase = the Heritage Lab R99 and R87 are likely not to be reproduced anytime soon. Head has what is perhaps the most damp ski layup ever and there is a reason those skis win so many world cups. Skiing a Head on piste is like skiing a sap-filled log. It ripples and sticks to the piste. Which is the exact reason why I won't buy a Head for my off-piste options. They do bust crud, as per the OG Monster 103, but they don't really surf.

That said, both Stockli and Kastle are two brands that I have never ridden but kind of salivate over for the OP's request for his quiver spot. I have a hunch they have a taste of that dampness and a looser tail for shutting things down.

I gotta say, a Stormrider 95 is exactly what has piqued my interest for OP's request. And since I can't buy an R99, and my OG M102 has a stupid carbon tip, I'm pretty sure the Stormrider 95 is next in line.

I really wanna ride an Austrian ski for all-mountain purposes. I have this inclination that that culture has figured out how to make piste skis fun in crud.

The Dynastars are curious. There is a reason they have merged that plastic core with their wood cores from their M-Free line to their M-Pro line. The MPro 108 is super curious to me. But, I don't want camber at 108.

Back to the Pro 99... Too much sidecut.

Try a Stockli, bro. Stormrider 95 is your new best friend.
    Last edited by gaijin; 02-07-2024 at 04:23 AM.

I briefly owned M-Pro 99s with a similar purpose in mind. The tips don’t really pull you into a turn, which makes them quite versatile in variable snow, but not very engaging for carving on groomers.

I recently picked up some 183 Kastle MX83s for dirt cheap (they’re about 10 years old) and I’m quite pleased with them. I still have my old slalom and GS race skis in the closet but found they needed hard, smooth snow to come alive. The Kastles work in more conditions. It’s also refreshing to ski narrower skis after spending a decade or so on skis ~100 mm and wider.

Need input on NW no new snow/groomer skis

I’ve been loving icy groomers on the shop demo, 163cm Stockli Laser SC, 72mm underfoot equates to massive fun
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by D(C) View Post
    I briefly owned M-Pro 99s with a similar purpose in mind. The tips don’t really pull you into a turn, which makes them quite versatile in variable snow, but not very engaging for carving on groomers.
    I would agree with this...they do carve but from the middle, not from the tips. There's a fair amount of splay that keeps the tips from hooking you into the turn. Nothing like a cheater GS or SL ski but way more versatile.

Quote Originally Posted by D(C) View Post

I recently picked up some 183 Kastle MX83s for dirt cheap (they’re about 10 years old) and I’m quite pleased with them. I still have my old slalom and GS race skis in the closet but found they needed hard, smooth snow to come alive. The Kastles work in more conditions. It’s also refreshing to ski narrower skis after spending a decade or so on skis ~100 mm and wider.
    Same low tide ski for me, same length too. Really versatile when the snow is firm, chalky or anything not too deep. I probably have the same model year, they’re the original reboot of Kastle. Heavy, damp with a 20.5 radius. Love them

Praxis Piste Jib or MVP 94 (which I haven’t yet skied)

If I was to buy one mid 90s ski today it would be the current rustler 9.

Stormrider 95 is awesome as well. The Rustler 9 is 95% of the ski but much cheaper. If the money isn’t an issue get the SR95.

Armada Declivity 102 (a bit wider) gets the third nod here. Phenomenal ski and more fun than the big brands ~100mm all mountain options that don’t start with Blizz and end with ard.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    If I was to buy one mid 90s ski today it would be the current rustler 9. Stormrider 95 is awesome as well. The Rustler 9 is 95% of the ski but much cheaper. If the money isn’t an issue get the SR95.
    Agree with this sentiment; I've gone back and forth between the Stormrider 95 and the Rustler 9 (both versions) the past few years, both are excellent. A few days on the Bonfide 97 as well. You really don't want a mid-80's ski in the PNW as it's really only the right choice 2-3 days a year (maybe more this year). Next year's Mantra M7 is also $money$.

I've always salivated over the SR95 but that pricetag is tough to deal. Kastle FX96Ti is intriguing and Backcountry has them on half price. Anyone else spent time on them? The guys over at Skitalk made them sound great.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    If I was to buy one mid 90s ski today it would be the current rustler 9.

Stormrider 95 is awesome as well. The Rustler 9 is 95% of the ski but much cheaper. If the money isn’t an issue get the SR95.

Armada Declivity 102 (a bit wider) gets the third nod here. Phenomenal ski and more fun than the big brands ~100mm all mountain options that don’t start with Blizz and end with ard.
    I'm a bit surprised to see Rustler 9 compared to a Stormrider. I have last gen R9 and have skied a Stormrider 105, while both are great not sure how much overlap they have in feel. R9 definitely has some meat throughout but the tip/tails are way softer and more playful than what I'd deem as a wide pretty powerful GS ski in the Stormrider. Is the new R9 that much more powerful? That would seem to overlap way more with a Bonafide it seems.

Ok but I absolutely love my monsters off piste when it’s firm.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Agree with this sentiment; I've gone back and forth between the Stormrider 95 and the Rustler 9 (both versions) the past few years, both are excellent. A few days on the Bonfide 97 as well. You really don't want a mid-80's ski in the PNW as it's really only the right choice 2-3 days a year (maybe more this year). Next year's Mantra M7 is also $money$.
    If you exclude everything west of the crest I might agree with you. I used my MX83s more than 20 days a season. Mid 80s skis are still incredibly versatile even if you include the passes

Quote Originally Posted by ApexSkua View Post
    I've always salivated over the SR95 but that pricetag is tough to deal. Kastle FX96Ti is intriguing and Backcountry has them on half price. Anyone else spent time on them? The guys over at Skitalk made them sound great.

they’re great skis if you’re a directional skier and want something light and agile but strong. Very versatile that do everything well but don’t excel in one specific area. Suspension is better than the weight implies but doesn’t rival much heavier skis.

Quote Originally Posted by ApexSkua View Post
    I had the Chris Davenport designed 94 version. I found the ski to be meh at most everything. Not horrible but nothing that made me say, "wow, I want to ski that every day."