Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Need input on NW no new snow/groomer skis

I got the Heritage Labs FR110 this season which have been awesome for new snow days. Just super fun, slashy skis. However, this clashes with my previous mid-fats, Enforcer 104 Frees. I feel like there is too much overlap now and what I want out of a narrow ski is something that handles groomers better and is more responsive than the Enforcer. With this in mind I'm looking for something 95-102 underfoot. I made a list of potential options I think I'd like but wanted to get feedback from the collective first. Here's what I'm thinking

M-Pro 99 - very interested in these but I don't see a lot of reviews outside of Blister. leaning this way
    Mantra 102/M6 - M102 might be more directional than what I'm looking for but they must be popular for a reason. have access to a pair of m102s through a friend
    Enforcer 100 - also popular around here but not sure if it is sufficiently fun on groomers since the 104free was disappointing in that regard
    Fischer FR96/102 - I don't see them get talked about a lot here but Blister likes them. Not a lot of shops carry the 96
    Ruster 9/whatever the Bonafide is now - what I've heard about the Rustler makes it seem too playful for what I want here. also curious on what people's thoughts are on current day Bonafide

Also, fuck Blister for jacking up their prices this year. $400 a year to access your comparison reviews? blow it out your ass

Moment Wildcat 101
    moment commander 102
    moment commander 92

from most playful to most directional.

Mantra m6 is super fun on groomers if you like to go fast and want some energy out of the ski. Waaaaaaay better groomer ski than the mpro99 (I’ve skid both a bunch).

Quote Originally Posted by ApexSkua View Post
    Also, fuck Blister for jacking up their prices this year. $400 a year to access your comparison reviews? blow it out your ass
    That’s for their accident insurance, right? Access to detailed reviews is $60/yr.

https://blisterreview.com/shop/digital-access-pass

If you are worried that the Rustler 9 is too playful and the Enforcer 100 is too much ski, you are working with a very narrow window for the type of ski you are after.

That being the case, don’t get an M102. It will make your Enforcer 104 feel playful and easygoing in comparison. The Enforcer 104 is the easiest skiing in the line, IMO.

I do think something like the new Rustler 9 or 10 is what you are after. Good luck, Goldilocks!
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Bonafide 97s are solid on groomers and firm snow but a bit locked in when it gets soft. They like to be driven hard and fast but are also fine skidding slower turns. Very traditional skis and if you want something modern the rustler line is likely better.

This season I have been bouncing between the M102 and the Fischer RC One 86 GT. I pick the Mantra if I want to make fewer/bigger turns and we're not 100% sticking to ripping groomers. I pick the Fischer if I want to turn more and generally take it a bit easier. If you wanted a ski for 90% groomers, I'm not sure why you would pick a ski over 90mm.

I never felt the M102 or M5 held much of an edge on ice. Not nearly as much as I would have expected. Liked them well enough in other conditions but the lack of edge hold on ice prompted me to sell them. Haven't tried the M6.

Mindbender 99
    Enforcer 94
    the new Stance 96?

I’m looking for something similar but closer to the 90 mark, preferably under. The HL R87 was on my list but sold out. Running the stance 90 right now and kinda want something 20% for poppy/pivoty

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    If you are worried that the Rustler 9 is too playful and the Enforcer 100 is too much ski, you are working with a very narrow window for the type of ski you are after.

That being the case, don’t get an M102. It will make your Enforcer 104 feel playful and easygoing in comparison. The Enforcer 104 is the easiest skiing in the line, IMO.

I do think something like the new Rustler 9 or 10 is what you are after. Good luck, Goldilocks!
    To be clear I do feel like the E104 is fairly playful, part of why I want to swap becuase it tends to overlap with FR110 off piste and isnt as fun on groomers. Good to know that the Rustler is in the direction of what I am looking.

Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    Bonafide 97s are solid on groomers and firm snow but a bit locked in when it gets soft. They like to be driven hard and fast but are also fine skidding slower turns. Very traditional skis and if you want something modern the rustler line is likely better.
    Sounds like to Bonafides would maybe be too one-dimensional since I like to make a variety on turn shapes off piste

Quote Originally Posted by ASP View Post
    This season I have been bouncing between the M102 and the Fischer RC One 86 GT. I pick the Mantra if I want to make fewer/bigger turns and we're not 100% sticking to ripping groomers. I pick the Fischer if I want to turn more and generally take it a bit easier. If you wanted a ski for 90% groomers, I'm not sure why you would pick a ski over 90mm.
    I would say on low snow days I do about 60/40 off-piste/groomers. Looking for something with more excitement on groomers than E104. I think 95-100 underfoot would be what I'm looking for in this slot

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    I never felt the M102 or M5 held much of an edge on ice. Not nearly as much as I would have expected. Liked them well enough in other conditions but the lack of edge hold on ice prompted me to sell them. Haven't tried the M6.
    Interesting, I haven't heard that about the Mantras. Good to know

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    I’ve never had an issue with the m6 on ice as long as I didn’t detune. The b97 (I had the first year version) was a little better on ice.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishskisurf View Post
    Mindbender 99
    Enforcer 94
    the new Stance 96?
    Stance is interesting, I've heard good things about it.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    That’s for their accident insurance, right? Access to detailed reviews is $60/yr.

https://blisterreview.com/shop/digital-access-pass
    Oh yeah, they want the higher membership for the discount codes/free buyers guide. My bad.

188 Black Crows Daemon 188 w Pivots

99 waist
    Full reverse for decent float in moderate new snow
    Low splay
    Long enough edge to rail groomers
    Quick AF in bumps and trees

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...d.php?t=355889

Here's my review of the M-Pro 99:

I got these on a killer deal from Ptex1 in his spring sale in March of 2022. I got them because, you know, I'm a pro. JK.

At first glance, these look to have a very similar shape to the Cham 97s. Never skied those so can't say how close they skied. I went short because on any given day, I'm ducking into EC trees. I got the 178s. A friend that weighs about 215# but similar height went with the 186s and he loves that length. I don't feel like I went too short but I rarely ski above 40mph.

Groomers: This surprised me. They hold an incredible edge when properly tuned (thanks buttah!), even on EC hardpack. Nice thing is, they don't feel overly locked in to any turn shape and it's easy to slarve them to slash speed. I think the titanal design has a lot to do with this. I'm more of a lightweight skier and don't usually have skis with metal but this one seems to be a great design for skiers that are more finesse and less power.

Cut up snow: These skis just power through. I'm not confident skiing fast through the chunder on my Volkl Kendos but on these skis, I don't have to slow down one bit. Zero deflection and they seem to absorb irregularities without passing them up through my boots.

3D snow: being from Southern Vermont, we've had very limited days with decent snow but I did ski on a 7" day with CharlesJ on his semi-pro ski bum tour last year and these were the correct tools for that day. They did not feel like they got "captured" and were easy to plane at lower speeds. I did just ski untracked 5" of cream cheese on these last Friday and it was my best run of the year.

Moguls: I don't zipper-line and these skis are very easy for me to ski in the bumps. I suspect that the soft-ish tips make them so.

Sweet spot: I'm a hack but it's easy for me to find the sweet spot on these so it must be pretty wide. Just know that the tails are pretty stiff; for me, I use them to get back on balance when I start tail-gunning.

Hope this helps you with making a decision. I recommend them. I have more days on them this year than any of my 3 mainstream (not powder, not touring) skis.

Not sure where "NW" specifically refers to; but I'm selling a pair of '23-24 R9's in 186cm drilled once and skied 10 days. No edge or base damage. $300 in the Seattle area.

I’ve skied most of the skis mentioned in this thread and I’d pick an M6. I also own the 1st iteration of the Bonifide 97 and for me the M6 is a better hardpack ski and just more fun to ski in all conditions. I’m a fan of the triple radius that makes for me a seamless transition from long to short radius turns.

Enforcer 94
    I had the 100 and found it pretty blah
    E94 is almost as good as my Brahmas on hardback but more forgiving

If you go MPRO99, mount +1

No new snow/groomers, my ski of choice for those conditions is the Kastle MX83. Try and keep it 90 or less. All these recommendations for skis in the 95-105 range are ridiculous for the OPs stated purpose.

Glad you are digging the FR110!

If you are in the <100 rather than <90 for a low tide / high pressure ski, I have a drilled once pair of R99 AM about to get listed on the HL outlet. DM me if interested

I definitely second the skinny ski recommendation. I hardly ever used to ski groomers until i picked up a line TW pro (90) for messing around in the park. I enjoyed it so much on groomers that i picked up a used stöckli laser AX (78) last March. Which has sadly been great since there is more fresh cord than fresh snow this year :-(

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    No new snow/groomers, my ski of choice for those conditions is the Kastle MX83. Try and keep it 90 or less. All these recommendations for skis in the 95-105 range are ridiculous for the OPs stated purpose.

exactly this. when it's dead firm I'm on 82's and 88's. and your knees will thank you as you age.
    Brahma
    Kendo
    Enforcer 88

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post

Agreed on under 90 but he did ask for skis in that range. He needs to grab those r99AM’s as they can carve firm snow really well. I prefer dampy damp and around 82 as well. My Head Monster 82’s are my go to for stated conditions. Sooooo good.

He did say he’s still off-piste 60% of the time when it’s low tide. Seems like a really good use case for a ~95ish waist ski that’s a good carver, but not a pure carver

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk