Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Steep line you've skied/want to ski

What's your favorite? Which one do you covet? For me most coveted is Poubelle in Cham (Blizzard of Ahhh's fans will know why). Y Couloir at La Grave may have been my personal 'ultimate' steep line, but I'm not sure I'd do it again.

I could list a bunch of other cool ones that I want to ski or have skied, but what are the big ones for you? And I'd be curious to hear from those who have skied my Chamonix childhood dream line...I know there are at least a few mags who have skied it.
    [quote][//quote]

skied a few lines in the CND rockies.

3/4 at Moraine lake

Front face of Cascade (what you see looking up from banff ave)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6zBCZczEqg (starts at 2:00)

Brown shorts at Revy. Maybe I'll do it next week.

https://fatmap.com/discover/route/ca...-short/1516782

Yeah it's not all wild and crazy and pretty tame all things considered, but I still want to ski it.

Not quite as impressive as Dexter;s picks--poop chute near Donner Summit. It's easily seen from the road, a classic line splitting granite cliffs. I'd looked at it for years and finally got the courage to do it. I approached it by booting and skiing around on lower angle terrain to come in from behind but got lost and wound up skiing down a different line--nice line but not what I was after. So I booted directly up the chute, clicked in, a few easy turns and I was finished. Like a lot of lines it looks a lot scarier and more impressive viewed straight on than it actually is.

I think the steepest thing I've skied was Main Chute in Olympic Valley Palisades, but I did it when the the rock that splits the entry was covered so that's probably cheating. Although Squallywood says it's harder if you make turns, and I made turns, and there was a glide crack at the bottom I had to miss, which you could fantasize was the bergshrund at the bottom of a big Chamonix line. Anyway, it was steep enough for me, although too short to be called a line.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pom peak.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	239.3 KB 
ID:	485749
    Pomeroy Peak, Just because it's above my ski hut. Definitely late May early June

Quote Originally Posted by whipski View Post

Name:	pom peak.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	239.3 KB 
ID:	485749
    Pomeroy Peak, Just because it's above my ski hut. Definitely late May early June
    Pick one or can I just say yes??
    [quote][//quote]

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    skied a few lines in the CND rockies.

3/4 at Moraine lake

Front face of Cascade (what you see looking up from banff ave)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6zBCZczEqg (starts at 2:00)
    Is one of those that line that was on a Canadian bill (or still is)? That's another one I've always wanted--was a pretty good article in Powder about that one (in the 90's?).
    [quote][//quote]

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Anyway, it was steep enough for me, although too short to be called a line.
    Nah, that counts, IMO, for sure. Ski movie material, so gotta count. Every time I've been there that area has been closed.
    [quote][//quote]

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki View Post
    Is one of those that line that was on a Canadian bill (or still is)? That's another one I've always wanted--was a pretty good article in Powder about that one (in the 90's?).
    Moraine lake was on the old $20

https://www.mountainlifemedia.ca/202...n-the-rockies/

some good info on that line, and skiing steep stuff in general

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki View Post
    Pick one or can I just say yes??
    The classic line would be from the summit. So far I've only skied the dog leg on the left ridge. Bit of a slog as spring leaves the sled out of the equation.

The 3/4 Moraine Lake October. The thought of skiing it never crossed my mind. Really cool.

Name:	Canada23-21.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	2.08 MB 
ID:	485765

Name:	Canada23-21.jpg-Zz.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	333.1 KB 
ID:	485766

damn that’s nice

Getting to the Pan de Rideau is as spooky as I've ever done; too puckered to even look into the Y.

Here's one I'd like to do, the Gnar Couloir at Silverton.

Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Skied Holzer:

Name:	6525.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	265.5 KB 
ID:	485769

Want to ski Val Scura

Name:	P1140097.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	450.6 KB 
ID:	485770

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    Brown shorts at Revy. Maybe I'll do it next week.

https://fatmap.com/discover/route/ca...-short/1516782

Yeah it's not all wild and crazy and pretty tame all things considered, but I still want to ski it.
    Crazy is overrated. Looks fun.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by RustyGroomer View Post
    The 3/4 Moraine Lake October. The thought of skiing it never crossed my mind. Really cool.

Name:	Canada23-21.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	2.08 MB 
ID:	485765

Name:	Canada23-21.jpg-Zz.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	333.1 KB 
ID:	485766
    That one has killed more than once.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

3/4 is an asthetic beauty and amazing if its 3k ft of pow. 1k pow and 2k foot deep ice runnels not so much.
    RIP to the soul who lost his life in aemmers last week. It can be a cruel beast with out fresh and stable snow. He wasn't tge first and sadly probably not the last. Thigh deep and stable was my best steep line and my proudest forecast afyer 2 months of no snow but watching light spindrift for days fill up aemmers. We were well rewarded
    15cm can turn "fall and die pucker" into "just a pleasant shred" on 45⁰+

The watermann (middle of tge 2nd pick has eluded me twice so thats my "want". 1st time we skied a bulletproof Y couloir lookers left and 2nd time stanley north col in shin-knee deep fresh(old story but my want is there)

3rd and 4th pic is a line a i looked at for a few years and havent heard of it being skied b4 or after. East face of Cathedral in YohoNP. The part im skeptical of being skied is the vertical line. It looks like a triangle and within that triangle it has a smaller triangle protruding out 8ft from the mountain side creating a ledge at the point of it. It was nice to link it together and empty out the north facing chute and great skiing all the way down to the railway tracksClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20240206_140841_Samsung%20Internet.jpeg 
Views:	114 
Size:	89.0 KB 
ID:	485775Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20240206_141411_Samsung%20Internet.jpeg 
Views:	124 
Size:	79.1 KB 
ID:	485776Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20240206_114241_Samsung%20Internet.jpeg 
Views:	117 
Size:	92.4 KB 
ID:	485778Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240206_115157.jpeg 
Views:	109 
Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	485779

Sent from my SM-A536W using TGR Forums mobile app

Ok ill play: Lyskamm north east face. Probably never will cause it's a may June thing and rarely in fun conditions. I don't like survival skiing.

Edit: And I'm always fucking scared at 50 degrees sustained

Hike the face first.

And ill madone nw. Ak in ticino.
    I nearly did it in 13/14 but it needs butt loads of snow and stable conditions. Access is easy from the back.

I've never ticked anything really worth mentioning. Just some freeride fun like trifides and freaux in La grave, cosmique in cham. All in pow so more fun than steep.Name:  url(1).jpeg
Views: 1116
Size:  80.4 KBName:  Il_Madone_0108.jpeg
Views: 1094
Size:  82.9 KB
    Last edited by subtle plague; 02-06-2024 at 02:54 PM.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Skied Aemmer in great snow. Was amazing. Skied 3/4 at Moraine on a bullet proof rain crust. Most consistently scary day in the backcountry I've ever had. Dealing with the rockfall hazard on the way up and the fall hazard on the way down was mentally draining. Both similar at their steepest sections, but it's crazy how much snow conditions can affect your perception.

No Way Out and Rocket Pocket (both accessed from Delirium Dive at Sunshine Village) are two personal highlights. Rocket Pocket had a couple of stupid steep sections above exposure.

Have enjoyed a few other very memorable steep lines with mntlion in the Delirium Dive area. Megladawn off the backside and then a very rarely skied line far left of the Dive.

The big one that got away for me is Silver City at SSV. Now a permanent closure. I think mntlion skied some lines in there?

Aemmer:

Rocket Pocket in between the two mandatories:

Name:  IMG_1477.JPG
Views: 1079
Size:  259.8 KB

Angle parking took me down this cool slot in the cliff that was exactly 184cm wide, it wasn't even skiing cuz my ski tips/tails were hitting both walls at the same time after which I asked myself wtf did we do that for ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

The Ford - Stettner on the Grand. Tried twice, got turned back twice, avys and a storm. Now I feel too old.

The Skillet was good tho.
    Name:  IMG_0685.jpeg
Views: 997
Size:  66.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    Ok ill play: Lyskamm north east face. Probably never will cause it's a may June thing and rarely in fun conditions. I don't like survival skiing.

Edit: And I'm always fucking scared at 50 degrees sustained

Hike the face first.

.Name:  url(1).jpeg
Views: 1116
Size:  80.4 KB
    I've skied past the Lyskamm, that's nuts.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Not quite as impressive as Dexter;s picks--poop chute near Donner Summit. It's easily seen from the road, a classic line splitting granite cliffs. I'd looked at it for years and finally got the courage to do it. I approached it by booting and skiing around on lower angle terrain to come in from behind but got lost and wound up skiing down a different line--nice line but not what I was after. So I booted directly up the chute, clicked in, a few easy turns and I was finished. Like a lot of lines it looks a lot scarier and more impressive viewed straight on than it actually is.

I think the steepest thing I've skied was Main Chute in Olympic Valley Palisades, but I did it when the the rock that splits the entry was covered so that's probably cheating. Although Squallywood says it's harder if you make turns, and I made turns, and there was a glide crack at the bottom I had to miss, which you could fantasize was the bergshrund at the bottom of a big Chamonix line. Anyway, it was steep enough for me, although too short to be called a line.
    Ah, the ol poop chute. I look at it every time we drive up 40. It can get sporty when there's a big cornice up top.

The line I really want up there is the heart of Donner. I've been watching it the last few days. Looks ready. Not a super scary looking line, but definitely over exposure.

Donner is not in the class of the other places in this thread but they did try to run a freestyle comp up there some years ago. Someone got too far out on a cornice trying to scope out a line and was killed when it broke off and avalanched.

Skied: What Big Eyes You Have, Deming Drop, Conundrum Couloir
    Want to Ski: Val Scura, pictured above. Also maybe Cosmiques, ENSA, Shit for Brains