Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by HotSchmoo View Post
    Good god.
    How fucked.
    Everything's fucked.

Eureka, MT.
    Ah, fuckit.
    No doubt, boat across the lake, guaranteed fresh schmoo.

Too low in the winter, too smoky in the summer.

OP’s a dork.

Quote Originally Posted by halliday View Post
    It could be a lot of places but sounds like north country NH and VT
    Main problem is elevation, as it's too prone to melts and the treeline is too high for reliable touring unless you are ready to actively get after it in the summer trimming.

Hush, you promised not give out any sleeper ski areas! As pay back, Hunter, NY is a bucolic spot in upstate New York with a fabulous ski resort, Hunter Mountain, that has a few friendly people enjoying the slopes.
    Quote Originally Posted by byates1 View Post
    Heard Vail is actually super affordable, humble and underground.

OK - so, gotten a lot of interesting responses. Let me circle back on why I asked...it's gonna sound crazy. I grew up in upstate NYb, used to live in Lake Placid (so I was happy to see several folks mention Upstate), and more recently spent two winters in Waitsfield at MRG. I moved to SLC this spring (which I love for many reasons), and I realized that there isn't really an MRG type community in the western US, as far as I know. The key being - run as a co-op. Preserves a vibe. Keeps development out.

So, I'm not as much curious about where is under the radar with a hill; but rather, where someone could create one, and put very robust protections in place to keep corporatization out. It's more than possible with a few key ingredients. An anti-Yellowstone Club, if you will.

OK - so, gotten a lot of interesting responses. Let me circle back on why I asked...it's gonna sound crazy. I grew up in upstate NYb, used to live in Lake Placid (so I was happy to see several folks mention Upstate), and more recently spent two winters in Waitsfield at MRG. I moved to SLC this spring (which I love for many reasons), and I realized that there isn't really an MRG type community in the western US, as far as I know. The key being - run as a co-op. Preserves a vibe. Keeps development out.

So, I'm not as much curious about where is under the radar with a hill; but rather, where someone could create one, and put very robust protections in place to keep corporatization out. It's more than possible with a few key ingredients. An anti-Yellowstone Club, if you will.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    Yeah, could move to a number of small “towns” in NV and be happy earning turns in my retirement. Relationship and children keep me from becoming a total hermit

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    You sound just like me. I keep sending my wife pictures of tiny remote cabins. Last week I told her that I'd be fine without internet and probably good with no power. I do like indoor sewage and running water. She'll probably leave me before we retire.

There are so many places that fit OP's criteria. Literally dozens of small towns within 3 hours of here. You can walk for all the lines you want.

That would totally be my ideal retirement. A lot of these places have towns near-ish, access to airports and hospitals gets more blurry.

OP, not hard to find. You just have to get out and look. You could probably start by dialing down where in the world you want this place to be.

Quote Originally Posted by SnowMachine View Post
    You sound just like me. I keep sending my wife pictures of tiny remote cabins. Last week I told her that I'd be fine without internet and probably good with no power. Do like indoor sewage and running water. She'll probably leave me before we retire.

There are so many places that gits OP's criteria. Literally dozens of small towns within 3 hours of here. You can walk fir all the lines you want.

That would totally be my ideal retirement. A lot of these places have towns near-ish, access to airports and hospitals gets more blurry.

OP, not bard to find. You just have to get out and look. You could probably start by dialing down where in the world you want this place to be.
    I always thought the Bridgeport area would be nice.

Now that we know what the OP is after, he’ll need to find some area with affordable private land with good terrain and snow. I’m not saying it’s impossible but I don’t see any new ski areas being built on FS land.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Adrider83 View Post

There's one really amazing spot similar to this a few hours from me. Services are about an hour away, along with a couple of ski resorts. Small, like minded, community. Sorry, not saying where it is. Friends just built a cabin there. Ski, smowmachine access only. Paradise.

I'm sure there are a bunch more spots like this, but nobody will easily give up where they are.

Quote Originally Posted by SnowMachine View Post
    There's one really amazing spot similar to this a few hours from me. Services are about an hour away, along with a couple of ski resorts. Small, like minded, community. Sorry, not saying where it is. Friends just built a cabin there. Ski, smowmachine access only. Paradise.

I'm sure there are a bunch more spots like this, but nobody will easily give up where they are.
    That makes sense....and does sound like paradise.

Yeah, the modern touring/snow machine options on fed/state land mean co op lift/hut stuff is less viable, especially given lack of population density as compared to east.
    East is mostly private land so it's different model.

Quote Originally Posted by HotSchmoo View Post
    Good god.
    How fucked.
    Everything's fucked.

Eureka, MT.
    Ah, fuckit.
    Eureka is a pretty good option. Wild west in the trifector of Big mtn, Fernie, Kimberly and beside Lake Koocanusa for your summer enjoyment. However It would get hideous dealing with border guards all the time

I think you're misguided as to why you'd form a coop to operate your hill. You'd do that so you'd have a ski area to ski at. It has nothing to do with preserving a vibe, or keeping development out. It has everything to do with preserving your local ski area.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Still unclear what OP wants. On a map of North America, I see two prominent mountain ranges, the western one being taller, longer, and wider. Options in Mexico and points south are more limited due to higher elevation required for snow. North of there, all the way to Alaska are thousands (millions?) of square miles of mountains, many of them within an hour's drive of a Waitsfield size or larger community.

Speaking for the greater Tahoe region, 99% of it does not have ski resorts. Within that, there's public lands, private lands, failed resorts, and resorts that could be had cheap. E.g. Homewood has struggled for decades. Saddlebag Lakes Resort was for sale a few years ago. It backs up to some of the tallest Yosemite peaks, with TRs occasionally featured in TRG forums. Bear Valley including 2 high-speed lifts sold last year presumably for a song. Even big bad Kirkwood sold for only $18M.

eta: I think Arctic Valley already has a co-op. It's near Anchorage. AK baby!!!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2021trailmap.png 
Views:	91 
Size:	494.5 KB 
ID:	483461
    10/01/2012 Site was upgraded to 300 baud.

Your answer is in Joseph OR.
    Buy out the SUP for the tram - https://wallowalaketramway.com/about/
    Your group would need to cut in some runs on the front side, and come up with a return shuttle service for those who ski the backside.

Of course you said no ski resorts, so the existence of Ferguson Ridge may be a deal killer, or proof-of-culture
    http://www.skifergi.com/

thief
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

A local pro ski patroler was talking RE with me on the chair and brought up Trail BC cuz checking the MLS RE there were some real low prices and you got Redmtn near by and i have seen this question asked before

SO I asked if she had ever been there cuz Trail is kind of " industrial "

a couple years later she is back and tells me yeah we did a season there so those cheap houses 50's houses are real POS , carport roofs over hanging the next lot and one of the really cheap houses had a stream running thru the basement

they bought locally
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by LongShortLong View Post
    Still unclear what OP wants.
    OP wants development, but only the type of development *they* deem worthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    thief
    Hypocrite too, since I’ve previously argued there is no way the operation would ever be economically sustainable.

But if OP wants to run it as a private club without regard to economic reality, I wish them Godspeed.

How many millions do you have OP?

How about Hilo, HI?
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Well, I'm not allowed to delete this post, but, I can say, go fuck yourselves, everybody!

Spout Springs OR. is/was for sale for a bargain, $1.25 million

however, I doubt the locals would support your vision ....
    "we all do dumb shit when we're fucked up"
    mike tyson

Where does this place exist?

https://www.collierscanada.com/en-ca...ada/can2010139

FOR SALE
    $7,495,000 CAD

Incredibly Unique Recreational Business Opportunity

Powder King is an all-season mountain resort that offers outstanding skiing in the winter and a wide variety of seasonal recreational opportunities between the mountain and its sister resort – The Azouzetta Lake Resort – which is also part of the offering. Powder King offers over 900 acres of skiable terrain, 37 runs, three lifts and over 40 feet of annual snowfall. The mountain is consistently ranked number 1 in Canada with respect to snow.

Go talk to billionaire Taos owner Louis Bacon about San Luis and all the peaks he has locked up in a land conservation trust for some reason.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

^^^You mean the 200,000 acres he donated to USF&W so it would remain undeveloped into perpetuity?

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    A local pro ski patroler was talking RE with me on the chair and brought up Trail BC cuz checking the MLS RE there were some real low prices and you got Redmtn near by and i have seen this question asked before

SO I asked if she had ever been there cuz Trail is kind of " industrial "

a couple years later she is back and tells me yeah we did a season there so those cheap houses 50's houses are real POS , carport roofs over hanging the next lot and one of the really cheap houses had a stream running thru the basement

they bought locally
    I know that Trail BC is industrial because of one of my favorite ski segments. They really capture the grittiness
    skid luxury