Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Rasputin is online now Полые тростник на ветру
    Strong work.

It had turned into a beautiful sunny day, and I got off work a half hour early, so I pedaled home, jumped in my waders, and went out on the river for an hour and a half before dark. About a half mile west of my place, I abruptly ran into a wall of fog, in the midst of which I fruitlessly fished.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0711.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	957.1 KB 
ID:	485002

After sunset, the fog thinned a bit, and the sky got pretty.

Name:	IMG_0712.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	998.3 KB 
ID:	485003

Name:	IMG_0713.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	485004

I got no fish tonight, but I have tomorrow to try again.
    Last edited by Rasputin; 01-30-2024 at 08:49 PM.
    I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. -אלוהים אדירים

Just locked up Boundary Waters permits for late May. Stoked to get back over there. Those permits go in less than 5 minutes.

Fishing Basswood lake again which is the premier lake for monster smallies, walleye, and pike.

Quote Originally Posted by swimmy View Post
    Just locked up Boundary Waters permits for late May. Stoked to get back over there. Those permits go in less than 5 minutes.

Fishing Basswood lake again which is the premier lake for monster smallies, walleye, and pike.
    Stock up on mosquito repellent.
    I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. -אלוהים אדירים

It was a truly beautiful, sunny day on the river, but the fishing was very slow still. I met a young father, out fly fishing, with his four year son in tow. In response to the standard "any luck" question, he beamed bright and told me he'd caught a huge rainbow, then whipped out his phone to show me a pic of it. Then he excitedly informed me that he'd caught it on a stonefly nymph he tied, and that yes, the stonefly nymph he ties is responsible for most of the big winter fish he catches there. He then whipped out a fly box and showed me neat rows of the artfully tied, and seriously buggy looking nymphs, then insists that I have one. After refusing at first offer, he very insistently pressed me to take one, so I did.

I had a bite a while later, but I was so surprised by it, that I didn't get a good hook set, and felt it for a moment, but I only got to see a brief flash of it before it was gone, and I uttered the appropriate groan of exasperation. As the gorgeous afternoon progressed, I became progressively despondent, and the fishing doldrums continued. It didn't seem possible that the fish weren't biting. What was wrong with me? Why do the fish hate me!? A minor melt-down ensued.

I finally decided to go home, but intended to fish again where I started the day. Along the way I threw it in, near where I'd seen the guy with his son earlier, and on the first cast, the float sunk, and this time it wasn't one of the many sticks I've been catching of late, this was a fish that really didn't want to meet me, and took a little while to land. The thick rainbow, took the big hurkin' stone fly nymph (tied on a size 8 hook I think) that the guy had given me earlier. Yet another fortuitous happenstance of providence. Alleluia!

Name:	16,75JPG.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	485096
    Last edited by Rasputin; 02-01-2024 at 01:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    It was a truly beautiful, sunny day on the river, but the fishing was very slow still. I met a young father, out fly fishing, with his four year son in tow. In response to the standard "any luck" question, he beamed bright and told me he'd caught a huge rainbow, then whipped out his phone to show me a pic of it. Then he excitedly informed me that he'd caught it on a stonefly nymph he tied, and that yes, the stonefly nymph he ties is responsible for most of the big winter fish he catches there. He then whipped out a fly box and showed me neat rows of the artfully tied, and seriously buggy looking nymphs, then insists that I have one. After refusing at first offer, he very insistently pressed me to take one, so I did.

I had a bite a while later, but I was so surprised by it, that I didn't get a good hook set, and felt it for a moment, but I only got to see a brief flash of it before it was gone, and I uttered the appropriate groan of exasperation. As the gorgeous afternoon progressed, I became progressively despondent, and the fishing doldrums continued. It didn't seem possible that the fish weren't biting. What was wrong with me? Why do the fish hate me!? A minor melt-down ensued.

I finally decided to go home, but intended to fish again where I started the day. Along the way I threw it in, near where I'd seen the guy with his son earlier, and on the first cast, the float sunk, and this time it wasn't one of the many sticks I've been catching of late, this was a fish that really didn't want to meet me, and took a little while to land. The thick rainbow, took the big hurkin' stone fly nymph (tied on a size 8 hook I think) that the guy had given me earlier. Yet another fortuitous happenstance of providence. Alleluia!

Name:	16,75JPG.jpg 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	485096
    Big stonefly. Big fish! Beautiful specimen, and awesome chance meeting!

silly bait fishermen!

"we all do dumb shit when we're fucked up"
    mike tyson

The day of the minnow!

First, when I was picking up my first cast of the day, I managed to snag this fine example of the Western Silvery Minnow.

Name:	minnow.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	1.68 MB 
ID:	485304

Later on, after accidentally hooking (as I let the line drag in the water, one of my highly skilled moves) and losing a big trout, I got a fine take, and landed the highly prized, native and sporty, Northern Pike Minnow!

Name:	bigpm.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	485305

Edit: Oh yeah, scenery and stuff.

Downstream:

Name:	mistytreesJPG.jpg 
Size:	354.5 KB 
ID:	485322

Upstream:

Name:	upstream.JPG 
Size:	461.6 KB 
ID:	485324
    Last edited by Rasputin; 02-02-2024 at 08:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by swimmy View Post

Dude, be sure to swing by my place. Musky season opens in late May.

Sent from my island using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Dude, be sure to swing by my place. Musky season opens in late May.
    I might be able to swing this. We'll talk.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    took advantage of the high pressure and open water to stripped up a few for another troutfecta last weekend

"When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

A healthy lookin' passel of fish.

It was a warm sunny day in Missoula, and I was thinking about fishing all day at work. I got off a half hour early, so decided to get a couple hours fishing in before dark. It wasn't hot fishing, but I did manage to catch two whitefish, and one trout. I also lost a trout much larger than the modest sized one I caught.

Name:	yellowfish.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	1.75 MB 
ID:	485839

Sadly, the trailer nymph was hung up in the net when I took the pic, sorry little guy, that looks uncomfortable.

Name:	bentneck.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	485840

I have tomorrow free for fishing, and tonight's outing just whetted my appetite.

Name:	mtsent.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	1.75 MB 
ID:	485846

First of all, I want to say, that if you opened this thread today, hoping to see one of my legendary scenery posts, you are SOL, today I'm posting fish pics only, so suck it scenery lovers!

Today I returned to section of river which had produced moar bigger whitefish, only I today I fished the opposite bank of the river. I previously posted about scouting the area, when there was too much ice along the south shore to fish it; the ice was gone today, and I did well. Across the river from where I caught a noble Northern Pike Minnow, I worked upstream, fishing soft water at the edge of seam of the rapid water. I'd scoped this area hungrily from the other side of the river last Friday, and within a few casts in the tasty zone, the indicator dipped, and I hooked into a cutt-bow pig:

Name:	IMG_0738.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	485968

I moved upstream twenty feet or so, and within a few casts the bubble sunk again. It wasn't as big as the first one, but had me thanking God Almighty for such fishing fortune.

Name:	IMG_0742.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	485972

I headed up river and found a section which had been entirely under ice when I'd seen it before. There was a smooth glide on one side and a short riffle dumping into some broken water. In the middle of this slow moving broken water, I snagged and broke off the flash back pheasant tail I had hanging from my Pat's rubberlegs. I replaced it with one of the nymphs I'veseenblackdiamonds! sent me, with a pink beadhead and hot orange tail. It proved just the right thing as it produced a beauty within a few casts. Again, a bit smaller than the one before, but Alleluia!

Name:	IMG_0745.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	485973

The day was mostly gone so I made my way back down stream, I couldn't resist trying a few casts around where I'd caught two earlier, and sure enough I hooked up again, another decent trout, but this one came unpinned, ahhhhh shucks! Not to worry, I already caught a hat trick of >15" fish, and also, stepping in to cheer me up after a cast or two, was this sporty whitefish, which was just a bit smaller than the last trout I'd caught, but I was a happy man. Amen.

Name:	tokenwf1.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	1.00 MB 
ID:	485974
    Last edited by Rasputin; 02-08-2024 at 01:26 AM.

Lunkers! Are you skiing at all this winter (can we call it that?) or just wading cold water, Rasputin?

Quote Originally Posted by Terrapin Ben View Post
    Lunkers! Are you skiing at all this winter (can we call it that?) or just wading cold water, Rasputin?
    Not skiing anymore, I just fish as often as I can. It had nothing to do with the snowpack. I do worry about the lack of snow, but mostly because that's where rivers come from.

FKNA!

I haven’t had the fishing itch all winter but now I do! Keep it up Rasputin!

Quote Originally Posted by stapes View Post
    FKNA!

I haven’t had the fishing itch all winter but now I do! Keep it up Rasputin!
    Well, I'll do my best to make you itch more!

I went fishing today, and yes I fully intended to return to the place I'd caught the big trout last time out, but when I arrived at the fishing access, the sun was shining, and I thought: "Hmmm, that sun will be fully at my back if I go up there, so maybe I'll go fish my usual spots first...". I did just that, and it turned out to be a very good thought indeed. I also thought: "Hmmmm, it's bright out, and that big hurkin stonefly nymph that caught that big one has a flashback thingee which will provide a shiney for a trout to grab, I'll rig that with one of those rainbow warriors that ISBDS sent me as a trailer....." This also was a very good thought.

I tromped down to what has become my favorite fishing hole, and proceeded to work the aforementioned big hurkin stonefly nymph through the forty feet of river which has produced many fish, big and small. After ten minutes or so, the indicator shot out of sight and my corresponding hookset felt like I had hooked a log, until the line started moving in the water. I'll digress here, to extol the virtues of the big hurkin stonefly nymph: oh BHSN how lovely thou art, with thine green flashback thingee, striped olive rubberlegs and red wire wrapped peacock body, how buggy lookin' thou art, how large and sturdy is thy hook, and how beloved of big troutfish thou art! Digression over.

It took a great while to bring the beast close enough to net, and I failed to scoop him, but the hook held, and I worked the fish toward the net again, it took several tries, but eventually I landed what I believe is the biggest trout I've caught. A golden rainbow! Glorious!!!

Name:	goldenbow.jpg 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	486274

I tried a few more casts after releasing the behemoth, but figured the fuss stirred by the big guy probably spooked the hole, so I made my way down to the confluence, which did not produce much action except for a small trout, which took ISBDS rainbow warrior.

Name:	lilguy.jpg 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	486275

The weather was changing, and since the sun seemed to be headed behind a sizable front, I figured I wouldn't be casting a shadow from the south shore, so I noshed on a cream cheese bagel, as I hiked the mile or more to where I caught the fat pig of a cut-bow on Wednesday.

When I got there there was blue sky above me, dark clouds to the west, and fluffy white clouds to the East. the latter had the effect of reflecting the sunlight from the West, above the storm front, and onto the water, obscuring view of my indicator almost entirely. I yelled at the fluffy white clouds to stop it, but they continued being fluffy and white, and reflecting too much light.

Name:	IMG_0758.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	486276

However, during a moment when I could see the indicator, a whitefish very gently started swimming away with my big hurkin stone fly nymph!

Name:	tokenwf2.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	486277

The front was coming over head, the water looked darker, and I could see my bubble when it got sucked under abruptly, and I was whooping it up as I landed a thick 16" rainbow:

Name:	IMG_0770.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	486317

Name:	ssbig2.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	486278

Yes, in fact, a bit later another sharp strike indicated that the big hurkin stonefly nymph had added another notch to its hook, and brought in a 16" cut-bow, fatter than the previous rainbow:

Name:	sscb.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	1.53 MB 
ID:	486279

I then headed up stream to the other spot which had produced on Wednesday. While I was checking the time, I was using my time tested fish attracting technique, namely, letting the line drag in the water while not paying attention, wham! Honestly he hooked himself even before I came in late with a hookset that Jimmy Houston would have been proud of. I was winching the big plump troutfish in, against the current (one of the most outstanding aspects of the line dragging technique, is it guarantees the fish will be directly downstream in the strongest current), and had him about ten feet out when the knot, which had landed three large fish already, failed, and gone was my beloved big hurkin stonefly nymph, along with said big plump troutfish, and the soft hackled flashback nymph which had only just taken the place of ISBDS's rainbow warrior.

I re-rigged with a Pat's, and one of the pink pearl bead head nymphs from ISBDS, and started back toward the truck, stopping by at the big trout catching spot, and catching a trout similar to the small one above, but which had the distinction of being able to squirm loose without a picture.

Another front was coming in, and snow started falling heavily as I walked back to the truck. With a glow of amazement in my heart, I reflected that I had caught my biggest trout, and two other big fat trout (honorable mention to the supporting cast of three small fish). It really doesn't get a lot better than that. Except, when the pretty girl recognized me and stopped to talk as the snow fell softly down, it was nice, though she was GF to a buddy from the mountain, exchanging pleasantries can be pleasant.

So long until next time!

Name:	brokenjaw.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	486311
    Last edited by Rasputin; 02-09-2024 at 09:42 PM.

I got off work an hour and a half early, so naturally I went fishing, and got a couple hours in before dark chased me off the river. I had a take at the usual honey hole, but didn't manage to get a hook set, but was taunted by a large flash after pulling the nymph away from it. I went down to the confluence and got no bites on a couple different rigs, but found success once I put on a red BH SJ worm, trailed by a Northshore stonefly nymph. In the soft water next to the main flow of the confluence, I hooked this healthy cuttbowfish on the worm.

Name:	afterwork1.jpg 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	486644

With about a half hour of light left, I hiked up from the confluence, thinking it would be worth trying the honey hole again for a few casts. This was very good thinking, as after a few casts, the bubble suddenly fled from sight, and a solid set led to a sporty fight, ending in a net heavy with meat. Another victim of the Northshore stonefly nymph!

Name:	afterwork2.jpg 
Size:	900.0 KB 
ID:	486645

This past week has delivered biggly. W00t!
    Last edited by Rasputin; 02-12-2024 at 08:38 PM.

Another beautiful day in Missoula inspired me to run down to the river, after work, for a couple hours. I managed to catch a couple fish down at the confluence, the second of which was small, and too slippery to get a picture of, but the first one was decent.

Name:	decent2.jpg 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	486779

Now that the days are getting longer, I expect I'll be doing quite a bit more after work fishing. Tomorrow is a fishing dedicated day, so hopefully I'll have another yarn to spin, adios.

Name:	decentsky.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	462.4 KB 
ID:	486781
    Last edited by Rasputin; 02-15-2024 at 04:27 PM.

I went fishing this afternoon, I hiked up to the big troutfish catching place, and caught a whitefish which was not a big.

Name:	IMG_0785.jpg 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	486886

After a while of not catching anything else, I hiked up to the other place I've caught a big trout, and there caught a whitefish also.

Name:	IMG_0788.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	486887

Not a great day out, but I caught fish and was not indoors, so that's good. I did not catch large trouts, I didn't like that part.

Name:	angrybeaut.jpg 
Size:	387.0 KB 
ID:	487119

Name:	angrychurn.jpg 
Size:	2.33 MB 
ID:	487121

Name:	angryblue.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	584.7 KB 
ID:	487122

Name:	angrybowl.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	647.3 KB 
ID:	487123

Anyone know a good source for polarized, low light, prescription, bifocal sunglasses?

I don't know how good they are, but Smith has prescription lenses, including bifocals.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    I don't know how good they are, but Smith has prescription lenses, including bifocals.
    They don't do the low light tint with a prescription or with bifocals.

Name:	IMG_2044.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	494.1 KB 
ID:	487368

At Mt Bachelor on Friday.
    I thought I had the only “I suck” sticker in the county.
    Anybody want to claim?