Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Chalk skis

Chalk skis

I haven't seen a dedicated low tide ski thread, so here we go.

I'm currently on some Bonafides, and like them, but am curious what others are on? I'm talking full resort skis for after days of high pressure, not a dedicated front side race ski or something. Skiing everything means moguls, groomers, chalk, maybe a pocket of soft. Damp enough and fun enough for the occasional sketchy entrance and straight line exit. You get the picture

What are people on?
    The whole human race is de evolving; it is due to birth control, smart people use birth control, and stupid people keep pooping out more stupid babies.

This year the go to has been the MX 83

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Yukonrider View Post
    I haven't seen a dedicated low tide ski thread, so here we go.

I'm currently on some Bonafides, and like them, but am curious what others are on? I'm talking full resort skis for after days of high pressure, not a dedicated front side race ski or something. Skiing everything means moguls, groomers, chalk, maybe a pocket of soft. Damp enough and fun enough for the occasional sketchy entrance and straight line exit. You get the picture

What are people on?

Ummmm, Bonafides…

Bones are a good answer to this question, I have a set and the only time they disappoint is in fresh snow. What do you wish they did better?
    I also picked up a set of line blades this year and they are fun for slow speed fuckery on less steep trails so far and perfect for skiing with my 7yo.

Chalk skis

I’ve always been a ~100mm+ ski owner.

Shockingly have just bought some 170cm Head Super Shape e-Titans (84mm) for groomers….cause it looks like a shot snow year. But that’s another thread.

For what you describe I really like the 180cm Season Eqpt Aero (96mm waist). It has metal in it and a pretty long effective edge (not a lot of tip/tail rocker) which means it grips well on firmish snowy steeps, yet it's playful with its forward mount (-3cm). Handles everything really well at Whistler, when it’s not deep and carves any kind of turn you want.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5873.JPG 
Views:	135 
Size:	236.1 KB 
ID:	481149
    Last edited by kc_7777; 01-05-2024 at 12:21 AM.

im103 destroys chalk.

Heritage Labs R87/R99

Chalk skis

Stockli DP Pros, pro +, Schmidts etc
    Parlor Cardinal 100
    Head Monster 108
    Fully cambered Mantras

I’ve got 6 days on my Heritage Lab 87 comps. I love them, they are so fun to lay trenches on piste but still ski chalk and windbuff with confidence and just are so damp and smooth. I’m 6’ 1” 200lbs and on the 182cm. Have no need for a longer length

Chalk skis

Mantras have been in this quiver spot for me for the better part of a decade. Like Self Jupiter said, you want a model year with camber, not one of the model years where they tried to chase trends and went full rocket. Other skis I’ve liked for this job are Stockli Stormriders (longer turn, take more effort to ski, and significantly less playful) and Head Monsters (one of the <90mm models, like the 88). Either will be less fun in soft snow than the mantras and I think they’re much less versatile.

Enforcer 100

R87 comp
    Monster 88
    Bonafide 97
    Mantra 102

Been swapping monsters and r87s mostly. Mildly curious about the Brahma 82 and 88 esp if they feel like the bonafides... they plan to go away next year for a new line?

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

The Bonafides rip, and they deserve a spot on this list, my curiously mostly stems from not having skied a ski narrower than 98 in many years. A bit more edge to edge speed may be fun at times.
    The whole human race is de evolving; it is due to birth control, smart people use birth control, and stupid people keep pooping out more stupid babies.

+1 bones are sweet.
    really enjoy my stance 90s for low tide too. stable, lively, good edge hold, maneuverable and easy to ski both slow and fast

Its usually not low tide with rocks or shit sticking up for long but I usually break out an old set of JJ's with FR+ so they turn easy, tips don't hang up on anything, can tour and i don't care about them
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Its usually not low tide with rocks or shit sticking up for long but I usually break out an old set of JJ's with FR+ so they turn easy, tips don't hang up on anything, can tour and i don't care about them
    Cool, that doesn’t really answer OP’s questions though

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    Cool, that doesn’t really answer OP’s questions though

its sez what are you on, I can ski all that stuff and more cuz I can ski them on wet bushes and tour up, maybe not perfectly but mostly ... something i don't care about
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

LP 105’s live the chalk
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

LP 105’s love the chalk
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

My praxis Sluggers at 102 mm underfoot are my goto

175 cm length

Looking to put my R87 comps to snow soon ( also 175 cm)

Aggressive in my own mind

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Okay, JJ’s are pretty much the exact opposite of what he was describing though. I get it, that’s your early season rock ski, it sounds like he wants a damp, stable charger for ripping around during periods of high pressure.

Moment Deathwish 104. Great bite for its width with the triple camber. Damp enough for a playful ski and loves to get loose/sideways.

I have historically preferred skis in the 84-88 mm range for chalky conditions.

I am currently on Orbs. I would say they are a bit stiff for moguls, but they are otherwise fine for the conditions OP describes.

HL R99Comp. /thread. Get the 188 if your grown adult size or the 182 if you haven’t hit yer growth spurt. Seriously such a good ski. Ski’d them at mission today in rain corn at the base then 3” and snowing up top. Chowder groomers. They slayed it. So sick.

Brahma’s.

Cochise 106 ski hard pack well enough that I sold my Bonafides and went to the Brahma’s

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA