Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Multiglisse View Post
    Now would be the time to visit Limberlost and other points north:. After an extended break, the snow chair is back in action. To be honest, the picnic table actually gives a better reading on the actual snowpack. The chair is all about the drama.

Attachment 487423
    The bit of rain there on Wednesday night knocked your snow pack down quite a bit. X-country at Arrowhead on Tuesday was so good. Wednesday was nice but waxing left a tad to be desired. Headed back next week with klister in hand.

Boler was sweet this morning. Firm fading to soft. A few dirt patches which will likely be dealt with over night when the cold returns and the guns can regain some ground.

Probably best conditions of the year at GE on Saturday, which might be the last wintery day this season…
    Snow guns blasting at -12, making what could be the best man made snow I’ve ever skied on. It was legit light and fluffy like 2” of pow. A strange yet welcome experience.
    I also learned there is plans for a bar at the base. Liquor license is being reviewed (apparently this takes forever) and a 2-storey building is set for the west side, with a large 2nd floor patio and the whole deal. There’s a lot of people who drop kids for lessons there and then just sit around and wait, and they want to capitalize on this.

Anyway I took a photo. Was nicer than it looks here.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7154.JPG 
Views:	21 
Size:	204.4 KB 
ID:	488200

Well, that was interesting. Was that the first thunderstorm in February, ever?

Hail and intense rain - can't be good for the ski hills... can't believe LAST winter is actually looking good compared to this one. What will next winter be like?

This sucks.

Yep Been hearing thunder for a couple hours now. Crazy.

XC skiing is done for the year, at least around here. What a crap year. Hope the hills survive. Tomorrow is more rain, next day is -2'C, then there's a bunch more above-freezing days (and nights) after that.

Quote Originally Posted by petey_ View Post
    The bit of rain there on Wednesday night knocked your snow pack down quite a bit. X-country at Arrowhead on Tuesday was so good. Wednesday was nice but waxing left a tad to be desired. Headed back next week with klister in hand.
    Yes, the new snow we got on Family Day weekend took a hard hit later that week. The crust is still there though, and in the "flash freeze warning" you have probably seen, we could get a bit of a refresh for the hardcore. WWHSTA is going ahead with the World Tele Day/BC Ski Fest at Limberlost on Saturday, conditions are guaranteed to be funky but it will be a nice day to be outside. Just outside of Huntsville, it is currently -2 C, very windy and snowing. This morning at 6 am it was raining, 10 C and the dog was hiding from the lightning and thunder. What a winter!
    "... Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to your body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much: I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those deskbound people with their hearts in a safe deposit box and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this: you will outlive the bastards." – Edward Abbey

Support Hinterlandian backcountry skiing: wwhsta.org

Looks like Glen Eden has every gun possible cranking right now. I remember years when the snowmaking crew would be laid off by Christmas. Running the guns in what is basically March at this point is nuts.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

The flash freeze with flashing lightning was quite something at Arrowhead. Inch or so of snow yesterday freshened the xc trails up. That snow also kept the treachery of frozen rain on the trails to a minimum. Might be close to a foot of fresh north east of Barrie from yesterday's weather tantrum. Looked like a winter wonderland.

Glen Eden looked nice and clean white when I drove by there two hours ago. Get it before the brown comes to town. The weekend should be crazy busy there.

Back to Boler tomorrow for some more downhill sliding. Need to get some sleep tonight after a few days of poker and partying with other old guys.

Glen Eden looked nice and clean white when I drove by there two hours ago. Get it before the brown comes to town. The weekend should be crazy busy there.
    Couple things: Glen Eden is skied mostly by the city-dwelling 'non-skier' beginner crowd. These are the people you may speak with at work who assume because there is zero snow on their front lawn all ski hills in Ontario must be closed. Because of this, whenever it's warm outside, there's nobody there. They just stop thinking it's possible, or complain about the "slushy conditions" (they also complain about ice). Easy to make excuses.

The same city people also can't be bothered to get their shit together and hit the road until 10am. So if you can ski there 8:30-11:30 you're good. I wouldn't want to stay there longer than 3 hours anyway.

When the brown starts to show through at Glen Eden, it usually means the best softest snow. My theory is that because it's north-facing, the darker dirt particles are able to absorb some sunlight (but not too much), softening up the snow juuuuust right. The wife and I have a saying "if it's brown, ski it down!"

No brown today. Great morning to get out sliding. This season could end in the next week or so but I have my hopes up. What else are you going to do? A pic from Boler this morning.

Name:	IMG_20240301_095440339(3).jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	1.95 MB 
ID:	488848

It's getting thin out there. I really hope Glen Eden can make it through the March break - they need that money big time.

Forecast has night time sub freezing temps this weekend. Might be enough to get a refill from the guns. Money to be made if that happens.

No Whistler trip this year Paulster? I'm ready to hang up the boards at this point. 40 or 50 visits to the local has kept me sane. Although the WWSTA event in April has caught my eye. We'll see if ma nature makes good on that get together.

Forecast has night time sub freezing temps this weekend. Might be enough to get a refill from the guns. Money to be made if that happens.

No Whistler trip this year Paulster? I'm ready to hang up the boards at this point. 40 or 50 visits to the local has kept me sane. Although the WWSTA event in April has caught my eye. We'll see if ma nature makes good on that get together.
    Haven't been to Whistler for a few years now, been preferring the roads less travelled lately. But I always go somewhere - life is too short to miss a year!

Went to Revy a few weeks ago with a couple dudes. Was good!

Off to Silver Star on Saturday with the fam. Will be good!

Attachment 487563

Attachment 487566

... Although the WWSTA event in April has caught my eye. We'll see if ma nature makes good on that get together.
    Stay tuned on this one, the date will likely be switched to April 6 for a better chance of good snow. The snowmobile hill climb event originally scheduled for April 6 at Hidden Valley has been cancelled (to the great relief of local residents) so that has opened up a window for WWHSTA. Just waiting for official confirmation with HV management.

It is a fun day, hope to see you there.
    "... Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to your body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much: I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those deskbound people with their hearts in a safe deposit box and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this: you will outlive the bastards." – Edward Abbey

Support Hinterlandian backcountry skiing: wwhsta.org

Have a great trip Paulster. Jealous. The snow in your pics looked fun

Mr. Multiglisse, keeping an eye on that one. Between planned trips and cancellations I have yet to join the group other than the October get together. Looked at Arrowhead for camping that weekend but they are booked up. Perhaps Limberlost is an option? Mew Lake isn't far either. Haven't winter camped enough this season. Minus 17 Thursday morning was a nice way to wake up. The seven on Wednesday night was sweaty.

I lived my whole life in Ontario and skied until I retired at 55 and moved to Alberta.
    I look at this Ontario thread and cant get over how small everything looks now.
    The whole hills in Ontario look like the run out to the lifts here.
    Dont get me wrong, I loved when I skied there, my kids learned and raced in Ontario ( thats a whole other topic of stupidness) and I would put any good Ontario racer against anyone out here but when I see the weather there, and the size of the hills, Im so glad I moved.
    I was involved in the operation of a smaller area in Ontario so I feel your pain of the super frustrating weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony911 View Post
    I lived my whole life in Ontario and skied until I retired at 55 and moved to Alberta.
    I look at this Ontario thread and cant get over how small everything looks now.
    The whole hills in Ontario look like the run out to the lifts here.
    Dont get me wrong, I loved when I skied there, my kids learned and raced in Ontario ( thats a whole other topic of stupidness) and I would put any good Ontario racer against anyone out here but when I see the weather there, and the size of the hills, Im so glad I moved.
    I was involved in the operation of a smaller area in Ontario so I feel your pain of the super frustrating weather.
    Like, we know, Tony. Thanks for telling us how much Ontario sucks and how happy you are that you don't live here and have to ski these hills anymore - it's very helpful, truly!

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    Like, we know, Tony. Thanks for telling us how much Ontario sucks and how happy you are that you don't live here and have to ski these hills anymore - it's very helpful, truly!
    Maybe my message came across the wrong way.
    I dont think Ontario sucks, I enjoyed skiing there my whole life, I just mean its a bigger struggle to get good skiing there with the weather, bigger crowds on smaller hills, but yeah, Im glad I moved.

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    Easy there Paulster. Don't want to alienate the ex-pats.

Watching a typical downhill race on the telly and the finish line is about as high as some of our hills but it isn't the size of the hill, it is what you do with it.

Put the canoe on the car today after skiing and golfing yesterday. Lemonade anyone?

Praying that the cold nights this weekend get the guns going.

Oh shite, just looked at the forecast. Will slide on the dirt tomorrow.
    Last edited by petey_; 03-07-2024 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Just because

Friday wasn't bad after they shifted some snow around. They decided to close over the weekend what with the rain and snow in the forecast.

This morning was interesting to say the least. Snow was pushed off now closed runs to accentuate the crumbs on the original slopes. Then it snowed lightly all day Sunday. Deep ruts, chicken heads, and dirt were hidden under a covering of powder six inches deep in spots. Oh joy. Be aggressive, avoid the edges, and be prepared to hop skip and jump over the obstacles. Still, had some fun runs in the powder. Ignore the seventeen c and rain in the forecast. Winter returns next week. Oh crap, another sideways image. F@ck it!

Name:	IMG_20240311_092417694.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	1.64 MB 
ID:	490066

Name:	IMG_20240311_092830992.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	2.32 MB 
ID:	490067

Nice!

Magicians at the local, rabbit out of a hat stuff. Saturday looked awful on the web cams, Sunday brought some pow to get Monday on its feet and now Tuesday continues to resurrect an apparent corpse. Well done groomers and snow makers!

Name:	IMG_20240312_093927450.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	2.11 MB 
ID:	490257

Sup y'all. What's the current status at MSLM and Blue?

Can't speak to MSLM but Blue is down to 10 runs and tons of brown.

EDIT just looked at the web cams and for what it's worth it's looking better today than it has in weeks.

Ironically this is the exact week poor Glen Eden needed last week to keep the hill open for the March Break camps. Feel bad for them, they must have missed out on a lot of money this year not being able to carry on. Even going to get 8-10 cm on Friday night...

The gapers on their social media page complaining about the short season and what they paid for a pass annoy me to no end. Any time it was -4 or less I saw the guns blazing; they did everything they could to make snow and keep it around. We had 1 week of winter this year, and frankly I was constantly amazed at what they did there given the circumstances.

Storm of the season in Toronto? Drove through there around noon Friday and it was looking snowy. Top of the DVP had plows out and traffic jams. Bottom of the DVP was basically snowless and we continued our drive back to London after dropping off my buddy. A quick trip to Ottawa for a celebration of life event. One of my pals turned 70 in November and passed suddenly last week. Life is short, do it right.

No snow on the ground in Ottawa and nothing between here and there for the most part. Might be that my season is done except for the possibility of making it to the WWHSTA event in Huntsville April 6th if conditions look right. The thought of driving eight hours and spending 100 bucks at Blue or Moonstone to ski on dirt and sticky snow doesn't rub me the right way.