Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Sierra Skier View Post
    G.

Attachment 490892
    The warm weather, last day of the Elevation ski week and Saint Patrick's day made for a fun after ski party on the CL deck today.

Attachment 490895
    The green beer was flowing this afternoon. Good times.
    I am just out of the frame on the lower right pic taken from the bear sculpture at canyon. Irish car bombs on the menu.

Agree on all counts. The chalk skiing up high was great. No lines.
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

Quote Originally Posted by jhyatt View Post
    Apparently it's gay ski weekend. Lots going on.
    Classic!

Elevation week is always in March.

3/09 and 3/10 were indeed great days, classic windbuff in Dave's. It just sucked that they shut things down on Sunday 3/10. We were on the upper gondi for what seemed a VERY long time. They were just inching it along to get people up, even though lots of the rest of the mountain had shut. Great buff in Dave's dropouts and Climax until things were shut down.

ESS,

Great shots as always. I particularly like the noids shots. I really love the paranoids when the get buffed.

I'm probably going to be up Saturday AM through Tuesday. I'm hoping the storm comes in as forecast.

While not as epic as last year, the mountain has skied well this year after the slow start.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Quote Originally Posted by 406 View Post
    I have June closing day as April 14th. Last year ride up J1 for egg hunt event was free, but I think still cost money if you want to ski.
    Thanks for the response. Can’t make it. I’m working the 14th. Their free ski closing days were always fun.

Another in a string of good ski days on Wednesday. Same as the last few days with minimal crowds, gorgeous spring weather and a mix of winter snow up high to full on slush laps down low.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3298.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	445.4 KB 
ID:	491296
    Front row parking every time, all you have to do is claim it.

Name:	IMG_3280.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	491298
    Climax & Dry Creek have been skiing really well all week.

Name:	IMG_3279.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	491299
    Gondi view.

Name:	IMG_3287.jpg 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	491300
    Afternoon Climax.

Name:	IMG_3274.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	491301
    Dry Creek.

Name:	IMG_3289.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	491302
    Afternoon slush lap on Back For More.

Name:	IMG_3290.jpg 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	491304
    End of the day clouds rolling in over the Top of the Mtn. Tomorrow looks to be a repeat of today before a change in the weather and return of winter this weekend.
    Last edited by Eastern Sierra Skier; 04-23-2024 at 04:11 PM.

Goods like a nice Spring skiing set up.

so sick

[QUOTE=PowerWhore7;7033423]Wasn’t sure if should put this in the Eastside thread or not, thought maybe the mammoth crowd might be more interested….

Went cat skiing out of Virginia Lakes with the new operation yesterday, legit crew & super fun wide open pow all day long. Got 9 runs & would have got 10 but a couple crashes slowed us down. Some long steepish runs & some lower angle runs with endless stress free pow. Didn’t need to walk uphill one step, used inbounds gear all day, but there is an option to bootpack or possibly skin if everyone in the group is keen. Highly recommend it for us older folks I didn’t get the greatest pictures and I have no idea how to upload a video on TGR, give Drew a call at High Sierra snowcat & yurt, total came to $580 after tax & forrest service fee.

I did the 'ginny Lake yurt twice with the previous owners. It seems the emphasis has changed greatly with the new owners. Previously it was a touring operation with cat assistance to.get to some good zones, but other then the first, short run of the trip to assis skill levels it was all skinning or boot packing after the first run.

The cat accessible terrain seems pretty limited without skinning, but the cat got us to the base of some great terrain, including submitting Dundenberg and skiing back to the yurt.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by byates1 View Post

so sick
    Thanks, that was awesome

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

looking for some local beta from the collective. son and i have a road trip planned (from UT) that way for his spring break next week. arrive sunday and planning on skiing 4/5 days next week. been waiting until this week to start weather watching. new snow always nice but he's into the park scene now and he/we'd be good with cruising around a new mountain in the sun too. looks like sun but maybe some strong wind early on? i know it's still a little far out to know exactly what it'll do but mainly wondering if/when/how much the lifts shut down with high winds there? we could possibly audible elsewhere but would lose out on some cash and leaning towards just sucking it up regardless of wind/weather. thx.

You should be fine next week. Chance of getting a pow day off the top depending on when you arrive. And given the interest in park, South Park (Chair 4) is protected from the wind.

North winds can keep the top firm, but you’ll find corn on solar aspects a bit lower down.

I know nothing about park, but if your kid is into it, from what I can tell Mammoth is the place to be. Unless wind is crazy, should find some spring snow in April.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeeze View Post
    You should be fine next week. Chance of getting a pow day off the top depending on when you arrive. And given the interest in park, South Park (Chair 4) is protected from the wind.

North winds can keep the top firm, but you’ll find corn on solar aspects a bit lower down.
    thx. good to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by 406 View Post
    I know nothing about park, but if your kid is into it, from what I can tell Mammoth is the place to be. Unless wind is crazy, should find some spring snow in April.
    yea pretty much why we're going. i'll be playing photog half the time and will drink his share of patio beers.

Name:	IMG_3326.jpg 
Size:	657.8 KB 
ID:	492145
    Yesterdays (Tuesday) wind buff in Wipe Out was really good.

Name:	IMG_3325.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	527.8 KB 
ID:	492146
    Afternoon session in Wipe Out got better and better.

Name:	IMG_3321.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	699.5 KB 
ID:	492147
    Refilled each run. Good day.

Unless Mammoth gets hit by a major storm, which does not appear likely, lifts, especially for the parks will not likely be affected. The upper lifts are more prone to shut down due to weather, which happened last weekend, buy as spring progress it becomes less likely. That said, Mammoth does get shut down by weather what seems.lime increasingly often.

Nice ESS!

I love it when you get those Wipeout refills!

My last mammoth day last spring, I think around May 10th, was that way and it was nuts!!!

I'll be up from Friday am through Sunday, maybe Monday. Let's hope the storm delivers.

About to make the run up this afternoon, looks like it's cranking all day/night today, hope tomorrow is ridable...anyone else going to be up?

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer28 View Post
    About to make the run up this afternoon, looks like it's cranking all day/night today, hope tomorrow is ridable...anyone else going to be up?
    Busy weekend + storm day + upper mtn lift closures = has all the key ingredients for (high) potential shit show. Enter into that at your own risk. I’m thinking June Mtn.

After Mammoth blew out yesterday I headed over to June for the rest of the afternoon. 1st time this season.

Name:	IMG_3354.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	664.4 KB 
ID:	492384.
    It was fun. Coverage on the face was good. No one there and a fraction of Mammoth’s 60+mph winds.

Name:	IMG_3353.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	630.1 KB 
ID:	492385
    The face skied well all afternoon.

Name:	IMG_3356.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	895.0 KB 
ID:	492386
    There were endless fresh lines in the trees. It was well worth it.

Name:	IMG_3361.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	661.5 KB 
ID:	492388
    Stopped by the Tiger Bar afterwards for a burger and beer.

Name:	IMG_3360.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	599.4 KB 
ID:	492387
    Sadly watched SDSU get beat down my UCON in the round of 16.

I’m thinking that might be my call Saturday.

2 feet overnight per Open Snow. FKNA...

Holy shit Saturday was deep as fuck...only woke up to about 8" at the house so was in the "oh cool, some refills from part 1 of the storm!" mode. Got to canyon around 830 and stood in canyon line till about 9 when 8 started loading and raced over to that. Basically nothing was groomed and it looked like Omaha beach on the way down...could barely get enough speed and it was easily knee deep...

Did 1 more on 8 and saw 16 loading on way down so got there and then made a beeline to 22 and caught it about 10 minutes after loading. Started at Avy 3 and worked over to 1 and then over to just left of 25 over the course of 5 laps. Avy 3 was the best and the snow was realitively light and easily 3+ feet but deeper in spots, you had to just point it and go as turns = carnage. My buddy went down at one point and he literally disappeared for like 30 seconds and he's 6'3".

From here we skied to 5, and the snow on the way over was significantly heavier, even worse than under 8 which was weird. Did one dry creek run but it was pretty torn up and heavy so we went to mill for a quick beer & cookie. From there stump to the cue for 3 which loaded shortly after we got there. Snow was better but still heavier than off 22 and people were getting absolutely bodied everywhere you looked. 4 runs here and we dipped for a quick lunch and then got G2 around 1ish, probably first 100 or so down Climax. Worked left next few runs ending on left ridge of Cornice by Dropouts which was the fucking tits. We had ride at Main so skied down far left but all of St Anton wasn't groomed so it was the trail of snowboarder tears and some are still probably trying to get out. On skis it was a chore, especially after such a crazy morning with that snow and I was spent by the time we got down. Got about 2 hours of partially sunny skies before/around lunch and then by the end the vis was shit and the snow was back.

Anyways, was one of my deepest days at Mammoth ever. Total surprise and I bailed home after a few runs in poor visibility. Great end of season surprise and prob the last powder day of the year.

MAMMOTH 23/24 - WE ARE READY FOR THE SNOW NOW

I hit up June on Saturday afternoon looking to avoid the crowds as much as possible and find some untracked snow. It worked out well on both accounts.

Name:	IMG_3389.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	492709
    I followed a mix of ski track/boot pack off the top of J6. In the five laps I took out there only saw two other folks.

Name:	IMG_3387.jpg 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	492711
    Snow was ranged from 1-2ft and skied well.

Name:	IMG_3386.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	774.2 KB 
ID:	492712
    Sticking to the more Northern aspects the coverage was good.

Name:	IMG_3390.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	1.00 MB 
ID:	492713
    Finding untracked snow was easy and I enjoyed the relaxed vibe of not have a 100 guys right behind me.
    Fun skiing.

Name:	IMG_3405.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	492715
    A cool, after ski sunset out on the Green Church Rd.
    Last edited by Eastern Sierra Skier; 04-08-2024 at 08:03 PM.

^^^ Did you return to Chalet or connect to base of J1?

Been in Mammoth since Monday. Great skiing each day. Pretty much anywhere we went on Monday skied really well. For 0" reported overnight, there was plenty of boot deep powder all over the mountain. Avi 2 and Paranoid 2 were the highlights of the day, and my kids first time down the Avi chutes, and first time from the top of the Paranoids. It was crowded but Chair 23 was ski on by 2PM.

Tuesday was more spring skiing style down low, with wintery up top. Wipeout 1 was buffed smooth from the top to the bottom of the rocks. My kid Hangman's for their first time and that was hands down the best snow on the mountain We also skied that rocky chute lookers right of Chair 14. Not great skiing, but my kid was stoked on dealing with the rockbound in the middle. It was hot once below Road Runner.

Today was supposed to be as warm s Tuesday, but SW winds kept things cooler. Best turns were off 23, but we had a blast skiing all over. Face of 5 was groomed and wind buffed in the morning. Never seen that groomed before. By 3:50PM the bumps in there were as big, if not bigger than before the grooming. Insane. But they were wintery, so that was nice.

Snowman is calling for up to 2' up top. NOAA say up to 14" at McCoy. Hoping there is enough snow early tomorrow, so that the fact it is frozen solid is not an issue. Been a great three days here and every time I get back here I am impressed with this hill.

The grumpy old man at the Gondi top station is less than ideal. And no one seems to know how to make groups of six. The general crowd at this hill is such a mix, but man, that Socal feel always hits me hard. Plenty of super chill and friendly folks from Socal, but some of these folks are insanely self absorbed.

And that new canyon lift is stupid. Mid day today, full coral, no one managing groups and the single line joins way too early. rarely did a chair go up with 6 people on it. Plenty with just 2. Someone needs to redesign that corral and put some staff out there.

Gonna watch the wind and lifts for tomorrow and might end up at June.

Have plenty of pics but seems I can no longer post pics up to the site from my phone....

Pretty fun first 3 days of spring break for the kid (and my) first trip here. He’s enjoying the parks while I’m enjoying the steep wind buff from the top.
    Taking tomorrow off and hoping for a Friday pow day before we trek back to UT.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

The Snowman is calling for up to 2' up top. That seems optimistic, but that would set up a pretty nice Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    And that new canyon lift is stupid. Mid day today, full coral, no one managing groups and the single line joins way too early. rarely did a chair go up with 6 people on it. Plenty with just 2. Someone needs to redesign that corral and put some staff out there.
    16 has ben an abject failure since opening. The 50% more uphill capacity in theory has been a ghost. The coral is a clusterfuck and the loading management is a joke. Also the offloading area up top is a fucking gong show. Back to the drawing board Mammoth...

Dusting on the deck. Decent snow falling down below Eagle. Gonna go for the late start this morning allow some of this snow to fill in. Watching those winds and wondering is June is the call for today. MM says the winds should increase tho NOAA says the opposite. Who to believe.