Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Which touring pole do I want?

I'm currently torn between the 2024 k2 lockjaw (better side-hilling grip than previous years), and the G3 Scepter (the top of the pole handle looks like an amazing tool but has less of a sidehill grip than the k2).

I was interested in the black crowes duo but the top of the grip being round is a turn-off. Also looked at the atomic bct which has a nice handle top but also less sidehill grip.

Thoughts on the first 2? Other options I havent considered?

I haven't seen any of these in person... all online shopping.

Sent from my SM-A536W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

https://www.dynafit.com/en-us/tour-p...6579&listing=1

They make a carbon one too that's even lighter.

They're poles, get something light and don't over think it. I've yet to change my pole length while touring, but I choke up all the time in various situations.
    The whole human race is de evolving; it is due to birth control, smart people use birth control, and stupid people keep pooping out more stupid babies.

Got a pair of lockjaw’s, haven’t used them much yet but the foam grip seems nice and the little grip hook has an indent so you can catch climbing bails like those on a CAST setup. If you like that style but want something simple K2 also just restocked their dispatch poles which are almost identical features but on a fixed length aluminum pole. Got a pair of those as well that I’m eager to try out. They also both have release pole straps for crashes if that’s a bonus.

BD flick lock or Dynafit Tour get my votes. If you need longer lower grip just wrap with some road bike handlebar tape.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by skis_the_trees View Post
    BD flick lock or Dynafit Tour get my votes. If you need longer lower grip just wrap with some road bike handlebar tape.

I've done this in the past but with tape and a narrow shaft pole it's challenging... doable but not ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by paschta View Post
    Got a pair of lockjaw’s, haven’t used them much yet but the foam grip seems nice and the little grip hook has an indent so you can catch climbing bails like those on a CAST setup. If you like that style but want something simple K2 also just restocked their dispatch poles which are almost identical features but on a fixed length aluminum pole. Got a pair of those as well that I’m eager to try out. They also both have release pole straps for crashes if that’s a bonus.
    Thanks for the details on the grip hook... that's helpful. It's the only part of that pole I have reservations about.

I thought about fixed length but I've decided I really want length adjustment.

My tours are not long and going superlite is not a priority for me... functionality is. And skin tracks of often shitty around here with heinous side-hilling.

Really like the Black Crows Duos Freebird. I've tried a lot of backcountry poles and these are my favorites for everyday touring. They have a metal top cap and built in wrist straps which I really like. Plastic top caps often break on me. The wrist strap broke on me at the attachment but they sent me replacements with reinforced attachments that have been all good.

I had Dynafit Blacklight before and the pole grips iced up like crazy, way worse than anything else I've used (all grips will ice up eventually...)

Quote Originally Posted by Yukonrider View Post
    https://www.dynafit.com/en-us/tour-p...6579&listing=1

They make a carbon one too that's even lighter.

They're poles, get something light and don't over think it. I've yet to change my pole length while touring, but I choke up all the time in various situations.
    Black diamond has a very similar one in their outlet if anyone is interested in that style https://www.blackdiamondequipment.co.../?colorid=8004

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I just got some of these- simple, cheap, and they are actually the longer grip version than the ones in the photo. Nothing fancy but I’m happy.

https://www.campsaver.com/black-diam...BoCCIsQAvD_BwE

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    Gravity always wins...

Dude, you gotta go full dildeaux!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gal10.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	202.1 KB 
ID:	480593

Name:	gal7.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	366.7 KB 
ID:	480594

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post

Those are spectacular!

I broke 3 pairs of bd adjustable carbon poles. I wouldn't get anything else than aluminum. Breaking a pole on the bc is not fun.

Sent from my moto g 5G using Tapatalk

i have the vapor al. good simple pole. my style. i do wish the grip was longer. when booting with them upside down found it a bit annoying to not have another grip position (hands sliding down constantly unless gripping hard).

some other options:

https://folkrm.com
    https://wolverinesnowproducts.com

I wonder how people were able to ski tour before poles had a foam grip on 3/4 of the pole?

They just had colder hands

Gravity always wins...

Quote Originally Posted by ktoor View Post
    i have the vapor al. good simple pole. my style. i do wish the grip was longer. when booting with them upside down found it a bit annoying to not have another grip position (hands sliding down constantly unless gripping hard).

some other options:

https://folkrm.com
    https://wolverinesnowproducts.com

Those folkrm poles look awesome! It ticks all the boxes for me but shipping to Canada was half the price of the poles, and I found a pair of the dispatch poles for less than $100 CDN shipped so I decided to try those and go the fixed length route, despite my comments above. For half the price I figure they are worth a try.

If I don't love them I'll probably splurge on the folkrm poles.

Thanks for all the suggestions... I checked them all out.

And Merry Christmas everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    I broke 3 pairs of bd adjustable carbon poles. I wouldn't get anything else than aluminum. Breaking a pole on the bc is not fun.

Sent from my moto g 5G using Tapatalk
    I prefer aluminium too. It will last for a decade. Bend them straight and they are good as new.

PM Rontele
    watch out for snakes

Am I the only one who has yet to find an adjustable pole that doesn’t fold like a wet noodle whenever I push hard to do jump turns in steep terrain? I just use regular ski poles for touring—never seen the need for more length.

Quote Originally Posted by AlecO View Post
    Am I the only one who has yet to find an adjustable pole that doesn’t fold like a wet noodle whenever I push hard to do jump turns in steep terrain? I just use regular ski poles for touring—never seen the need for more length.
    Oh I definitely use the extra length. Long flat ski outs make then pretty key for me.

I usually go 130cm up and 110cm down.

I bought the dispatch poles in a 125cm.

https://backcountryaccess.com/en-us/...scepter-poles/

Cheap and burley with a surprisingly useful handle top that flips risers easily, scrapes snow off skis, and just generally acts as a "get closer to me" hook.

I use the fixed length but they do offer adjustable options. Personally got them 5-10cm longer than I use inbounds and choke up on them for skiing down and palm the scraper top for longer flatish poling sessions.
    Last edited by Ørion; 12-25-2023 at 08:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AlecO View Post
    Diameter is the key. Longer length greatly improves the touring efficiency. Swix Sonic R1. rip

Just buy the long citronella torches for all season use.

Name:  71rBpbFbYOL.SS700.jpg
Views: 579
Size:  24.7 KB

On another note, I've had K2 Lockjaws for several years and have no complaints.

I use BCA Scepter and they are good. The only issue is that bottom part of the pole, near the basket - pole is really narrow there and it flexes. For example, I was not able to lift the riser on the CAST with pole (in CAST risers sit tightly). During skiing I haven't faced any issues.