Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Yes it finally feels like ww. Lots more stuff accessible. Another excellent b2b day. Not as busy. Another road fiasco. Storming when we left.

Quote Originally Posted by DanoT View Post
    True, except if I continue to make Sun Peaks my home mountain, especially early and late season, I will wear a ski out (becomes too soft and no longer holds an edge) long before the ski ever hits a rock. I can't remember the last time I used any P-tex.
    You know, there are few people who have really seemed to have "found their place" on this planet as much as you seem to have with Sun Peaks. I really hope I can make it out there some time and share your love for the mountain! I've been there a couple times in the past but am in dire need of a revisit.

Quote Originally Posted by wicked_sick View Post
    Had a decent cat ski day yesterday. Great to finally have a bit more snow.
    That looks a lot like K3 Catski terrain - we were there two weeks ago for 4 days, and while we didn't get the conditions I'm sure you did, we still made out ok. Love that place and the tenure - so many fun tree runs, and the Darkside is epic when open!

Quote Originally Posted by aragon View Post
    That looks a lot like K3 Catski terrain - we were there two weeks ago for 4 days, and while we didn't get the conditions I'm sure you did, we still made out ok. Love that place and the tenure - so many fun tree runs, and the Darkside is epic when open!
    Sure does. Did you end up getting to the Darkside?

Sleeper blower pow morning at SS today. Report said 16cm but skied like 25.
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

Quote Originally Posted by el hefe View Post
    Sure does. Did you end up getting to the Darkside?

Sleeper blower pow morning at SS today. Report said 16cm but skied like 25.
    Yah, we got up for two laps on a day with good visibility. Better than a friend who guides there and hasn't been back there in two years (!). We used to take it for granted that we'd get back there most days (with viz), that does not appear to be the case anymore!

Also, spent the weekend in Kimberley, and other than the lift issues (seriously, get that shit figured out RCR!!), had an absolute epic three days. Snow as deep as you could want, and typical Kimberley lines (ie never more than 7-8 minutes!), still finding fully untracked lines at 2:30pm... don't go, it's terrible there.

It is indeed K3. We got 9 runs in, mostly trees and a sheltered alpine bowl. Avalanche hazard limited what was available. Great day overall, excellent guide and a decent group of random.

Skied Sun Peaks directly after, and yesterday was one of the best (if not busiest) days I've had there. First tracks on challenger to the Burfield base on a powder day is a rare treat.
    ::.:..::::.::.:.::..::.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240305_013418000_iOS.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	163.8 KB 
ID:	489286
    Pretty much as good as gets around here.

It is indeed K3. We got 9 runs in, mostly trees and a sheltered alpine bowl. Avalanche hazard limited what was available. Great day overall, excellent guide and a decent group of random.

Skied Sun Peaks directly after, and yesterday was one of the best (if not busiest) days I've had there. First tracks on challenger to the Burfield base on a powder day is a rare treat.
    Opening the Challenger and other double black and black runs under the lower Burfield chair at Sun Peaks has been a challenge this season. They have opened and closed a few times. Those runs lost a lot of snow during the last mild spell, got closed, and have only recently reopened Challenger and the other lower Burfield runs due to the recent storms.

good morning to you all....
    the GF and I are planning a long weekend in Nelson later this month. ski a little, soak in the hotsprings
    she has agreed to be my designated driver for one night so I can get stupid-drunk
    looking for any recommendations and/or places to avoid
    hope to see you there, cheers!
    "we all do dumb shit when we're fucked up"
    mike tyson

Morning RT! No need for a designated driver. Stay in town and everything is walking distance.
    If you're here on a weekend, parking can suck at the hill. Get up there early, and enjoy the coffee and killer breakfast at the hill before first lift.
    Have restaurant and bar recommendations a plenty. Found a place to stay yet?

thanks yeti,
    Juliet says we're staying in Ainsworth, so, driving will be done ....
    "we all do dumb shit when we're fucked up"
    mike tyson

Naturals. Valkyr Range. Both 2300m. One S facing. One N facingClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20240306_063913.jpeg 
Views:	74 
Size:	99.4 KB 
ID:	489612Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240306_082014.jpeg 
Views:	77 
Size:	122.5 KB 
ID:	489614

There have been some big slides all around the Kootenays this last week. WH20 has had a historic avalanche cycle. We'll be tiptoeing a little in the back country for a week or so for sure.
    Great photos LeeLau

RT, that makes sense, great place to stay. If you're coming into town for a night, The Royal may well have a show, as might Bloom nightclub.
    For restaurants, the food at Ainsworth is excellent. In Nelson Busaba Thai, Pitchfork or Marzanos.
    Backroads Brewery is a local taproom, for burger fries pool, pub vibe etc, Mike's place.

Quote Originally Posted by romeo tango View Post
    the GF and I are planning a long weekend in Nelson later this month. ski a little, soak in the hotsprings
    she has agreed to be my designated driver for one night so I can get stupid-drunk
    We had sushi at Sushi Wood in Nelson, it was excellent. Even squeezed us in among the Valentines Day reservations.

Just had a few days in Nelson and kpass. Watched the heli bombing in the pass yesterday. Nothing moving on their closures. Skied several aspects and had great snow and stability. Played on and teiednto get a few features to and nothing moved though with a deep pwl that could mean nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by romeo tango View Post

Yum Son, a Vietnamese place downtown, is delicious and one of my favourite places to eat. Their soy sauce + peanut chicken wings are great. Good cocktails too.

Chief - challenger. So great when you get first tracks. Not that expo or Freddie's or lift line aren't great... But damn a fresh chief challenger is a sweet T to B. Congrats.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Quote Originally Posted by el hefe View Post
    Today would have been excellent at SS. Snowed another 10cm and cold and clear. I should be around and would be happy to rip one day. 2m base now which I did not think would happen this year, should be fine for you.
    Place is skiing nicely - little bit of snow here and there was blowing around a bit yesterday, some pockets of nice stuff.

My stupid shin is sore AF (smashed it on a hockey goalpost 2 weeks ago) but the pain comes and goes, and is manageable.

Check yer pm’s!

What a recovery. Both locations in the Valhalla Range

At VMT we had approx 140cms of snow base at 1750m and 180 @ 2100m. At Hilda/Valkyr it was 210cms at @ 1700m, 260cms @ 2100m. We gained over a metre of snow in a monthName:  IMG-20240308-WA0023.jpeg
Views: 518
Size:  135.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    Place is skiing nicely - little bit of snow here and there was blowing around a bit yesterday, some pockets of nice stuff.

My stupid shin is sore AF (smashed it on a hockey goalpost 2 weeks ago) but the pain comes and goes, and is manageable.

Check yer pm’s!
    No Pm's! I am at work all week but could squeeze in a morning.
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

Waking to yet another “powder day” at Red, at the tail end of a memorable 2 week run of exceptional late season conditions. 23/24 sure started off slowly, but for those of us that stuck with it (most gave up weeks ago), it’s been another great one. Looks like Spring starts tomorrow, and I’m actually looking forward to a few late starts and fun in the sun.

Sorry to hear about the treewell fatality at red.

Yes ww has had a good run too. Will go up tmr to hopefully beat the incoming tropics.

Rollercoaster ride at Meadow lodge this week for our group. Amazing skiing, big avy incident 2 days ago and miraculously no injuries

https://avalanche.ca/map?panel=mount...1-0a58a9feac02

Quote Originally Posted by thefortrees View Post
    Rollercoaster ride at Meadow lodge this week for our group. Amazing skiing, big avy incident 2 days ago and miraculously no injuries

Oh shit... Same group of you that were at Jackson? Everyone ok even the one town out?

Quote Originally Posted by thefortrees View Post

Well written and informative. Glad the outcome was relatively ok