WTB: skis for teenage daughter

My 13 year old is getting more and more excited about skiing every year. She is currently using my wife's old (06?) Dynastar Exclusive Legends in the 15x size.

It's time to upgrade her. Length should be about the same, not bigger than a 160. She does her school ski club at Wachussett and travels NH and VT with us on the weekends... So thinking mid 70s waist would be about max?

Not a racer by any means, but can confidently make parallel turns down most terrain when she's on her game.

Anyone have an old pair of wives or daughters skis that might work?

if you can't find used, and can find last years on sale, the blizzard and nordica teen skis (140-160cm) cochise etc are REALLY nice for the price.

Definitely get her her own gear.. +1 to recent but not the latest most expensive thing for a growing kid. Girl should be done growing out of boots around age 15 Seasonal rental is doable but you can probably find something better that will be HERS for the next 2 seasons. Age 15 get her GOOD boots and maybe new skis depending on how many days the logs on the ones you buy next week :-)
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Got my daughter used Black Crows Daemon Birdies when she was 13. She’s 17 now and hasn’t grown much. Still loves them.

Point being more to go ahead and get her an adult size versus specific ski recommendation

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post
    My 13 year old is getting more and more excited about skiing every year. She is currently using my wife's old (06?) Dynastar Exclusive Legends in the 15x size.

It's time to upgrade her. Length should be about the same, not bigger than a 160. She does her school ski club at Wachussett and travels NH and VT with us on the weekends... So thinking mid 70s waist would be about max?

Not a racer by any means, but can confidently make parallel turns down most terrain when she's on her game.

Anyone have an old pair of wives or daughters skis that might work?
    STP has some pretty good deals right now.

I'm with 54-46 on this one. It's basically exactly what I did with the Praxis Le Petit. She skied those past when she shoulda been on bigger skis, maybe, but who cares, she loved them.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by 54-46 View Post
    Got my daughter used Black Crows Daemon Birdies when she was 13. She’s 17 now and hasn’t grown much. Still loves them.

Point being more to go ahead and get her an adult size versus specific ski recommendation

Did I sell those to you? Sold my wife’s when I introduced her to new skis … she missed them and then we bought a new pair. She loves them as a mid slot in a quiver of 3. Grabs them when there’s a trace/shallow snow - or we’re unsure what conditions will be.

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeLuke View Post
    Did I sell those to you? Sold my wife’s when I introduced her to new skis … she missed them and then we bought a new pair. She loves them as a mid slot in a quiver of 3. Grabs them when there’s a trace/shallow snow - or we’re unsure what conditions will be.
    I think we got them off powder7. Kid loves them. Versatile for 99mm reverse skis. Clocked her going about 50 down groomers and also good in Japow for 120 lb person. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1701778854.820640.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	266.3 KB 
ID:	478395

Volkl Mantra Jr in 158 would be good.

That’s rad 54 - 46. I’m definitely inclined to buy my kid good ski gear in effort to build his skills and interest in the sport. We’ll look back and really miss these days with them on the mountain skiing with us. You can always get return money when you sell quality gear so it’s never purely a sunken cost. Same attitude on bikes.

Moment Sierra and Nordica’s Santa Ana line would be my target for teen daughter.
    Last edited by CascadeLuke; 12-05-2023 at 09:32 AM.

Sounds like I'm buying new or NOS skis. We have done the seasonal rental thing when younger, but think we're past that phase. Thankfully have decent Lange boots that still fit her, so that's covered.

Will start looking at what's available from last year. For 90% groomers is rocker ok these days for a kid? I know what I like, but she doesn't ski like me...

Keep the recs coming. They are much appreciated!

Both my daughters (17 + 19) are on Line Pandora 104 and they love them. They ski off piste a lot. My wife likes groomers mostly and really digs her Blizzard Black Pearl 98s.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Both my daughters (17 + 19) are on Line Pandora 104 and they love them. They ski off piste a lot. My wife likes groomers mostly and really digs her Blizzard Black Pearl 98s.

Good luck.
    Funny. We looked at the Pandora and my friend who sounds like your wife bought those black pearls.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post
    Sounds like I'm buying new or NOS skis. We have done the seasonal rental thing when younger, but think we're past that phase. Thankfully have decent Lange boots that still fit her, so that's covered.

Will start looking at what's available from last year. For 90% groomers is rocker ok these days for a kid? I know what I like, but she doesn't ski like me...

Keep the recs coming. They are much appreciated!
    I can give you a pair of one mount (286mm Wardens 13) 166cm, Salomon XDR TI 84.

going to be honest they likely are railed and need base grind to be better all arounder. , as they sit they ripped groomers for my wife, but My wife prefers straighter and stiffer skis.