butchering roof box?

Anyone ever hacked up a cargo box with a dremel?

New car, new rack setup. Everything is perfect except the shark fin conflicts with the bottom of the box. I don't want to raise the rails to accommodate it - will create a garage door problem if I do that. I can push the box way forward to not conflict with the shark fin but the noise is crazy if I do that and I don't like having that much weight overhanging the windshield.

It looks like I can cut a ~4"L x 1"W slot in the bottom of the box, to let in the top narrow part of the antenna. I don't think this would compromise the integrity/stiffness of the box, but I could also epoxy in a little metal around the opening to help offset that just in case.

I'm not worried about box contents getting wet or dirty, but I would still use some kind of weatherstripping to create a flexible gasket, and would seal it with something from the inside after installation.

I know resale on the box is fucked if I do this but not worried about that. Also not worried about antenna reception. I know the box will flex/bounce, opening size will account for that.

You guys are pretty smart...what am I missing?

What about damage to the antenna by contents of the box?

Other than that, I would be concerned about a crack propagating from the corner of the cut. Metal like you suggested might help. Not a structural engineer so unclear how much of a concern this would be.

yeah I'd pad up the portion of the antenna that's inside the box. Good point there.

I think I can get the cuts done without any right angles - I would start them with pilot holes at the corners to avoid any 90* moments.

If you cut out a "wedge" cleanly, could you not flip that wedge around to it protrudes into the box by the required amount - then epoxy it in place?

Maybe some zap-strap stitching along with the epoxy?

Quote Originally Posted by LHutz Esq View Post
    If you cut out a "wedge" cleanly, could you not flip that wedge around to it protrudes into the box by the required amount - then epoxy it in place?

Maybe some zap-strap stitching along with the epoxy?
    Yeah I had thot about that ^^ idea also, make some nice cuts, tape the piece in place on the insdie with that sticky drywall tape and slatehr with 2 part
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I'd cut the slot with no 90 degree corners. Then go to Home Depot and buy a Plato ammo case for $10, then epoxy that into the box, upside down, to surround and protect the hole you just cut. Keeps grime and water from getting inside and from stuff inside from smacking into your fin. If the ammo box is too big there's a million other choices for plastic boxes or bowls you could epoxy in place. If you use enough epoxy it should also help stabilize the cut.

If, after you cut it, the bottom seems more flexy than before you started, epoxying in some aluminum bar for stiffeners should do the trick. Then the ammo box after that.

My only concern with all of this is that I'm not sure how you can work Aquaseal into the plan, eh?

Rule of thumb :

If you need to fix something that has to move use AQS,

if you don't want it to move and it doesn't need to move 2 part slowset eh
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Thanks doods.

I was kinda thinking to just seal it with a powderskirt?

Cut your roofbox with a 4” holesaw. It’s a larger hole, but no stress risers to form cracks and easier to cut. Install a boat deck plate…It will also be easier to find round 4” material to seal the hole with your inside protector (I’m thinking some type of round food storage container glued into place with plexus of some other adhesive)
    Name:  IMG_0267.jpeg
Views: 216
Size:  259.2 KB

How much contact is there with the shark fin? IE could you just pad it and let it contact?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by optics View Post
    Thanks doods.

I was kinda thinking to just seal it with a powderskirt?
    Never waste a good powder skirt. Never

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    How much contact is there with the shark fin? IE could you just pad it and let it contact?
    With the box in the 'sweet spot' front>back, there's a lot. Probably 1.5" of height, over ~3" of length, and the overlap area is inset a few inches from the back edge of the box.

I did think about just letting them touch but my OCD spiraled.

Quote Originally Posted by singlecross View Post
    Cut your roofbox with a 4” holesaw.
    That's a cool idea. What's the point of the plate? Just capturing the cut edge and adding some stability?

Cut the hole and mount this over.

https://www.amazon.com/Car-Shark-Fin...61124236&psc=1

Or remove the shark fin if you aren’t into good radio reception.

That's a cool idea. What's the point of the plate? Just capturing the cut edge and adding some stability?
    Yes, the plate rim will add structure and a finished appearance and the plate lid will allow it to be brought back to mostly normal if needed.

Hire a bootfitter to melt the box with a torch and form it into place.

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    Hire a bootfitter to melt the box with a torch and form it into place.
    boa box, patent pending.

The plot thickens: I checked the location where this cut would be made, and there is a square metal tube in a shallow channel running the length of the box. Said tube is riveted into the channel. This changes things.

A real bootfitter could melt and bend the metal.

I wanted my Thule ski box far enough forward to clear the hatch on my Grand Cherokee. I had to lengthen the slots since the front crossbar isn't very forward. I used a router. The end of the slot is rounded to prevent cracking (a side effect of using a router). No issues after a season of hauling skis. It clears the shark fin too.
    If you have a problem & think that someone else is going to solve it for you then you have two problems.

butchering roof box?

boa box, patent pending.

The plot thickens: I checked the location where this cut would be made, and there is a square metal tube in a shallow channel running the length of the box. Said tube is riveted into the channel. This changes things.
    Yeah that’s a stiffener. Can’t cut that.

Time to park outside the garage and turn your garage into a great shop/repair shop/gum.

It’s time.

Edit: or can you slide the box over far enough that you don’t have to cut the tube?

Return the box, switch to snowboarding, get shorter box.

Grinding down the floor of the garage entry to make it fit will happen before that.

Deflate your tires?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6612.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	150.1 KB 
ID:	475352