Page 67 of 93 FirstFirst ... 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,675 of 2314
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    California side was still running when I left at noon, Spats just texted from gun barrel so it’s still running over there

Attachment 488847
    Hindsight is 20/20 and I should have stuck it out for the power to come back on! But I was nervous about getting stuck with the storm and some of the questionable drivers.

Last year when there was that pile up tramway the fam and I were stuck for a few hours. Have an ultrasound with the pregnant wife today I can’t miss!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm...pow! View Post
    Why would you think your buddy's business deserves to be paid if someone doesn't use the service?
    They reserved the time frame preventing anyone else from using the service. Plus weather details are usually covered at time of payment
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Tahoe '23/'24 - Reserve Now For Best Pricing!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Deutchskier View Post
    I had a buddy who rents out his lake house. Forecast was for a big system all weekend, embedded thunderstorms and gusts over 50ish. The people that reserved it wanted refund because of the weather and they couldn't go outside. Are they owed a refund? We thought it was hilarious, really. I fail to see the distinction, here.

Oh yeah, only dickheads call people names for expressing an opinion.
    Uhh… is this cat op owned by you? Otherwise I didn’t call you anything at all, I said the guy running it sounds like a dickhead. If it is you, you are indeed a dickhead. I’m guessing just a poor reader.

I’ve only met Meter-Man once but he’s not some JONG from San Jose coming up to the mountains a few times per year. I’m gonna trust his assessment on this one.
    Last edited by TahoeJ; 03-01-2024 at 05:16 PM.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

I’m hoping to ski my driveway or the street behind my house tomorrow if conditions permit…

Schussing Northwoods has always been a “dream”, too, but I get sketched out by the toolrists in their mini vans and Sprinters…
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Neighborhood bucket list!

Quote Originally Posted by dookeyXXX View Post
    I’m hoping to ski my driveway or the street behind my house tomorrow if conditions permit…

Schussing Northwoods has always been a “dream”, too, but I get sketched out by the toolrists in their mini vans and Sprinters…
    Be sure to check the avy report before hand.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Ok we need to swap notes. I think the ideal start spot is around Lausanne but I suppose with enough speed could probably start around the Lodge / Z Market. I have skied the lower half of Alder Creek, back during Jan 17.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    Be sure to check the avy report before hand.
    I am more concerned about the plowing schedule…

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Ok we need to swap notes. I think the ideal start spot is around Lausanne but I suppose with enough speed could probably start around the Lodge / Z Market. I have skied the lower half of Alder Creek, back during Jan 17.
    The sweet pitch is from Coyote Moon down to THS, but the section between Chamonix and Hansel is also decent…

Methinks upper Ski Slope also would be good, just getting there might be a chore unless you skin…

Methinks upper Ski Slope also would be good, just getting there might be a chore unless you skin…
    It is… I did Sunrise Bowl / the ridge to the water tank and then took the road to the Alder Creek turnoff (at night) when they gave up on trying to plow it. So I skinned up the road from my truck. It can be a fun neighborhood sometimes.

But I’ve never done Northwoods. Would like to at some point.

BC laps were good today. Skied 8:30-1:30, snow was somewhat dense on first lap but contrary to the NWS forecast the midday temps felt cooler not warmer, and the next 2 laps were killer.

Nuking pretty hard so we didn’t take any skiing pics.
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

Palisades ski patrol is on the union train: https://www.powder.com/trending-news...i-patrol-union

However, the recent loss of journeymen patrollers coupled with high turnover and high cost of living have made it difficult for the patrol to retain the institutional knowledge needed to keep themselves, and resort guests, safe.
    Pretty strong argument in the wake of the KT slide this year

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Did a quick west shore lap this afternoon, good amount of snow but not the snowpocalypse that was hyped up. Fingers crossed water content keeps dropping overnight!
    Three fundamentals of every extreme skier, total disregard for personal saftey, amphetamines, and lots and lots of malt liquor......-jack handy

Seemed to me like this storm wasn't really hitting until Saturday. We shall see.

If you reserve a hut trip during winter, you are agreeing to winter weather unless the contract says otherwise. Sounds like folks are cancelling an epic trip because it's going to snow. They should go. They'll get in before the storm gets going, check out winter's full fury / do some tree tours on Saturday, and have a good chance of all-time conditions on Sunday. When the mountains are calling, you must go.

IME, all my snow camping trips went independent of weather. Usually we got a blizzard at least one day. One time it was -10 to +10, so it was really cold, too cold to snow more than a few feet. Another time it rained. That sucked. I missed the one trip with neither snow nor rain. We never did a hut trip so maybe I don't understand huts. We did a night storm hike from camp to Peter Grubb - it was full despite the storm. Accepted hot chocolate and a card game before returning to our tents.

As for NWS, methinks they hired some millennials who don't know how storms work in the Sierras. Or got caught up in the media/social media panic cycle. Eh. It snows here. A lot. Often it's windy too. Maybe the people changed - too much screen time, not enough real experience. Maybe they need a NWS handhold. My transition from guy who likes to ski, to skier, was about the time I took all weather forecasts as "noted." About that time I started skiing great conditions and many powder days (some stormy). Er. Uh. Best to stay home while we get all this loose snow packed down.

Only began to rain on the coast here around 4pm. Storm came in earnest a little bit after dark. Some periods of heavy rain and plenty of wind. Looks like KW is closed off for now. Sure glad we didn't try to make a Hail Mary drive up tonight. Sunday should be the day. I scheduled a two hour appointment mid day, so lookalike I can't make it out.

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    I won’t beat a dead horse too much but the difference between a thunderstorm/rental or even a strong winter storm was the severity of the Do Not Travel warnings combined with High/Extreme avalanche warnings. (See below.) Also, a thunderstorm does not involve objective hazards or safety concerns. Providing a rental is quite dissimilar from a backcountry ski experience led by a guide in the mountains.

When asked what they would ski or how they would manage the high avy hazard, after being mansplained, the guide told them to not argue with them.

Alpenglow guides proactively cancelled all weekend guided trips, various ski resorts are closed, and the agencies continue to suggest Yer Gunna Die If Ya Drive. But dude says “ignore them” and trust me but don’t ask too many questions, or don’t come and we’ll just keep all your money.

Frankly, I’m glad this joker is not charged with the safety of my wife and her friends.

From NWS yesterday:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah, well, if you're calling the guy a joker, and calling into question his judgement- maybe you should be asking you and your wife whether your own judgement was right about entrusting the guide- all was good, in avalanche land, until a big snowstorm that made things challenging for travel. Can't have it both ways.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    My story is they call snow days so people can go skiing and I'm sticking with it.
    Ha, I never much cared. Since my kid started skiing pow 2 years ago, I take him out of school on pow days regardless. As long as he tests well and gets good grades the school can stick the truancy notices up their ass.

Just my take. Schools should teach some stuff that matters for real life.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Uhh… is this cat op owned by you? Otherwise I didn’t call you anything at all, I said the guy running it sounds like a dickhead. If it is you, you are indeed a dickhead. I’m guessing just a poor reader.

I’ve only met Meter-Man once but he’s not some JONG from San Jose coming up to the mountains a few times per year. I’m gonna trust his assessment on this one.
    And a cat operation is nothing like a house rental. Just sayin.'

Dude, Ski Slope is a good one!!!

I used to live off on Snow Peak. Skiing Ski Slope and the closed TD resort was the reg on snow days. Getting Northwoods from the top to DP would be epic if you could swing the timing with the plow!!

Quote Originally Posted by SnowMachine View Post

Just my take. Schools should teach some stuff that matters for real life.
    Wtf are you talking about?

The sweet pitch is from Coyote Moon down to THS, but the section between Chamonix and Hansel is also decent…

I should have read further before commenting. There have been a few storms where Ski Slope was abandoned for days. All of the laps you want. You can even ditch from upper onto the ski hill if you poach a couple of yards.

I used to ski from the top back to my front door without stepping out of my bindings. Skin up. Ski down. It's several miles of skiing.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Wtf are you talking about?
    WTF are you talking about? How many schools still have metal or wood shop? Welding? Electronics? How about teaching kids how to handle personal finances. Shit, I was OK when schools taught kids how to cook.

Quote Originally Posted by SnowMachine View Post
    WTF are you talking about? How many schools still have metal or wood shop? Welding? Electronics? How about teaching kids how to handle personal finances. Shit, I was OK when schools taught kids how to cook.
    https://www.ttusd.org/Page/136
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

My mom sometimes teaches cooking and sewing at a middle school in CA.

Virginia Lakes: powderwhore in the mammoth thread posted pics from a recent trip to the cat skiing ops. Looked like terrain that was <30 and out of harms way (but hard to judge from photos), but would royally suck in white out. The operators response to simply trust them is questionable.

Should be interesting night on i80 for those that are stuck. Hopefully, not too bad for them. NWS is still taking about a lot of snow overnight.