Page 49 of 93 FirstFirst ... 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,225 of 2315

Tahoe '23/'24 - Reserve Now For Best Pricing!!!

Any intel on lifts at Pali or AM closing early today? Got an alert that the mtns were closing but didn’t seem to be out into full effect. Got mixed reports on the alleged closures today
    Last edited by mcski; 02-04-2024 at 06:42 PM.

Yesterday was my favorite ski day of the season so far, with some of the best snow and weather conditions this weekend warrior experienced this year.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2893.JPG 
Views:	174 
Size:	819.9 KB 
ID:	485548

Name:	IMG_2888.JPG 
Views:	143 
Size:	692.4 KB 
ID:	485549

Name:	IMG_2867.JPG 
Views:	148 
Size:	160.1 KB 
ID:	485550

Also here to say thanks to getting killer deals on skis from skier666 and bindings from Tahoearmada.

It sure got a lot warmer in the last few hours. The dump overnight and this morning was cold enough to quick freeze most of Donner Lake but there's a very light rain at the moment. Supposedly colder tomorrow. Let's hope. Enough of this base building. I'm all for instant gratification.

The snow felt a lot lighter this morning here at 5900' on the Reno side of Mt Rose highway. Just spent several hours clearing, and it's settled into a heavy paste. Temps have been around 28-30* all day, but I think the pavement was warm underneath, as it's pretty icy now.

Around a foot here so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

mcski, KT closed at noon, dogger & resort by 1.
    Like I told my last wife, I never drive faster than I can see, besides it's all in the reflexes.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerome View Post
    Yesterday was my favorite ski day of the season so far, with some of the best snow and weather conditions this weekend warrior experienced this year.
    I am here to co-sign this post.
    Yesterday (Sat) was indeed some mas bueno schussing.
    I taught a bunch of 6-10 y/o’s how to farm a run so we could get multiple laps of fresh tracks.
    Also educated them on face shots.
    Smiles and tired legs were the order of the day.

Conversely today, while the crowds were super sparse, the snow was more in the Sierra Cement viscosity range.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    ...Around a foot here so far.
    We got about the same down here in CC
    Name:  Resized_20240204_175057.jpeg
Views: 1454
Size:  54.7 KB

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using TGR Forums mobile app

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Northstar was great today - refills all day long, snow even stopped a bit at the end of the day to actually take advantage of all the fresh stuff

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    Any intel on lifts at Pali or AM closing early today? Got an alert that the mtns were closing but didn’t seem to be out into full effect. Got mixed reports on the alleged closures today
    Did AM close? I talked to folks that skied there until 3 or so and said there were a couple lifts open. could have been Kangaroo for all I know.
    Also right around noon I was in counterweight gullyish I think when there was a patroller giving a very soft closure notice about control work apparently in the our father zone which was about the closest I've ever been to a blast while skiing. There was zero keeping me from skiing into or under the area.
    And fun fact about my broken binding is that it wasn't 100% stuck in ski mode. It would go insta-tele after a few hard turns with no warning which was super fun in the icy chutes that had all slid to the hard layer.
    Alpenglow threw on a Tecton heelpiece for $75 so i'm good to go tomorrow. If anyone needs one they have another single Tecton heelpiece now.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

My main point being I think the rising temps had as much to do with closures as the wind, given recent events.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Name:	Image1707145823.905785.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	537.6 KB 
ID:	485624
    Saturday was good.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Nice. Those your turns? Saturday was the best powder day I've had this year. That snow was cold and incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by Thesystemsplit View Post

Name:	Image1707145823.905785.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	537.6 KB 
ID:	485624
    Saturday was good.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Did AM close?.
    A friend of mine got an employee alert that both mountains were shutting down around noon but seems like someone was just quick on the send button. I think the temps were def the reasoning as well given the fluff underneath and recent events

Quick look at the cams this morning. Roundhouse is ski right on. Cornice is a full coral. When did KW become the crowded resort? I know this is just a glimpse, but Alpine might be full on country club as the mountain opens. Not that KW will feel crowded once 10 opens.

Have fun out there folks. Looks like a fun day.

Quote Originally Posted by dookeyXXX View Post
    I am here to co-sign this post.
    Yesterday (Sat) was indeed some mas bueno schussing.
    I taught a bunch of 6-10 y/o’s how to farm a run so we could get multiple laps of fresh tracks.
    Also educated them on face shots.
    Smiles and tired legs were the order of the day.

Conversely today, while the crowds were super sparse, the snow was more in the Sierra Cement viscosity range.
    My Saturday was similar to yours. I’m tail gunner coach for a bunch of 7 and 8 year old kids. My favorite part was that we went started by hiking to ski Broken Arrow on a suggestion from one of the girls on the team that the snow was really good there, which it was great..

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    A friend of mine got an employee alert that both mountains were shutting down around noon but seems like someone was just quick on the send button. I think the temps were def the reasoning as well given the fluff underneath and recent events
    Yup, got the same alert, but Rounhouse was still loading when I left at 3. They were doing control work out at the road all afternoon. Intermittent closures.

Yesterday was a fake out. I was hoping for storm day refills. Got Sierra Cement instead. My bad for not getting there earlier.

I’d characterize the skiing at Kirkwood today as better than staying at home.

One from Saturday

Name:	IMG_2369.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	196.7 KB 
ID:	485668

Friday

Name:	GPTempDownload.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	495.6 KB 
ID:	485669

Thursday

Name:	GPTempDownload.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	321.2 KB 
ID:	485670

Hah--snow the last two days seems to be making people reminisce about Saturday, me included. Skiing wasn't bad this morning, unless you got off the beaten path and broke through the surface wind slab--then, well you know.

75 skied nice all day, lower mountain snow made for a good workout.

Thought I lucked out with an untracked on Powerline face but it was wind buff over a thin rain crust.

Got in line for Siberia at 12:40, saw the announcement that would open at 12:50. I was in position for second chair, then they called it off around 1:30. So many people being whiny shits to ski patrol.

Overall it was a good day, but if you couldn’t make it out today you didn’t miss much.

My out-of-town buddies are trying to talk me into going to Rose tomorrow morning. I'm not sure I can say no, but I'm not amped, either.

It snowed most of the day, but the roads were wet when I got home at 9pm. Just a few degrees too warm.

I can't imagine not skiing with friends from out of town because the snow quality wasn't good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by janky View Post
    Nice. Those your turns? Saturday was the best powder day I've had this year. That snow was cold and incredible.
    Yes sir! I also got a clean line into broken glass that morning.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I can't imagine not skiing with friends from out of town because the snow quality wasn't good enough.
    +1

It also snowed 3 feet at Rose in the past 3 days. I was out there yesterday afternoon and there were still some good stashes to be found.

I love skiing with friends, especially in sub par conditions. It's when its going off, I have a hard time hanging with friends who maybe don't like to ski fast, or blind, or in steeps... Seems like after the last few days, the next few look awfully well lined up for skiing with friends from out of town. But then again, I'm on day 14 for the season, so I ski whenever I can.

As Gerome and everyone stated...Saturday was so damn good. With 80 closed Friday night, I decided to roll 50 to 89 over Emerald Bay...5.5 hours from SF to Olympic Valley leaving at 6:45pm but was so worth it.

Youngest skied pow with his team and finished with Tower 16. My daughter skied well at on her Big Mountain comp run and good old dad scored with his reverse mountain mentality. Two great laps on KT and then with Headwall and Sibo still on hold, I opted to see what Poulsen's was looking like under Red Dog. Its now like 9:45am and literally one track down the lookers left side as you ride the chair. With a closure from the top all the way to Dogleg due world cup snowmaking continuing, I sweep around the patrol shack near resort chair and begin lap after lap of untracked top to bottom by going further skiers left (even under lower Far East was magical as you couldn't get there unless you traversed back to Red Dog after the Red Dog spines under the lift.) Nobody caught on until around 11:45am and being tired, I decided to roll some lifts to check the icy steeps of Light Towers. Left at 2:45pm and home in 3 hours to beat the storm. Cleaning out the ski gear closet and garage on Sunday was not so much fun but someone has to do it.

Some photos here:

https://www.instagram.com/p/C2_gp8Zr..._web_copy_link

Still working on video but here's one from the previous weekend:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C24Wa..._web_copy_link

Yew!