Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    looks like fernie got hit wtih snow
    Currently hearing bombs going off, polar peak maybe? Currie bowl?

Snow was good yesterday

Got two laps through Dive this afternoon. Surprisingly good coverage through the guts. Rocks in all the usual spots. Mix of hard and soft slab. Some grabby sections, some softer turns. Galaxy and Skier’s left Starbucks closed. Great coverage on fatboy traverse (for now). Nice to be back in there.

Quote Originally Posted by tang View Post
    Been at KH and revy last few days. Revy skied great yesterday - even end of day runs to the bottom were pretty fun. KH was better than expected and has some pretty good snow on top half, but you’re best hitting cat track to gondy and not wasting energy on those runs.
    Yeah was there for 5 days last week. Pretty icey everywhere with a nice soft topper. Fuez wasn't terrible but visibility was horrendous when I dropped in. Not a chutes guy but my friends said they were all great. Bowl Over was in great condition.

Anything below Stairway chair was incredibly hard from the refreeze. My legs took a beating below catamount lol.

Would appreciate some local beta on Louis and Sunshine. ( and Revi although I know that’s a different thread)

I need to make a call for next week, I booked Banff ages ago and then double booked Revi as a hedge. Need to cancel one or both.

Both look sub par for next week, but which one should I ski? Been at revi twice in the last decade and haven’t skied the Banff area In 20 years.

Big Three looks to have freezing levels bellow 1000m and bluebird all next week but little snow since the thaw/rain.

Revi seams to have had a good reset since thaw with some light weather early next week, but freezing levels hitting mid mountain for most of the week.

Big three will offer up some nice alpine walks with unlimited visibility, but not sure there is much soft snow up there and no new snow during my trips window.

Revi’s upper mountain might deliver, and light precip early next week can turn into a surprise and is prefered to bluebird but 1100-1400m freezing levels for the entire week worry me.

Any guidance/local beta from the collective to help make my choice would be appreciated.

banff area will usually be colder and dryer then reve,

Reve is higher risk stock, but if its good, it will be good (and lined up)

banff is a safer bet and the skiing is rarly bad. I have had many days of "that was better then expected"

banff also has a LOT more non-skiing things to do (ice skating, hockey games, gondola, resturants, 150+ resturants dog sledding, spa, etc) Also no need for a car in banff, with free shuttles to the hill and easy walking in town, and cheap local transport.

The skiing is surprisingly good at Louise and sunshine right now. Make sure your edges are sharp and don't be shy to ski the rocks...ah rockies

Looks like Fernie had a good one go. First riders in the chair.
    https://fernie.com/blog/avalanche-in...at-polar-peak/

An unexpected 24 cm overnight in Kimberley yesterday. Still lots of soft snow today.

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    banff area will usually be colder and dryer then reve,

Reve is higher risk stock, but if its good, it will be good (and lined up)

banff is a safer bet and the skiing is rarly bad. I have had many days of "that was better then expected"

banff also has a LOT more non-skiing things to do (ice skating, hockey games, gondola, resturants, 150+ resturants dog sledding, spa, etc) Also no need for a car in banff, with free shuttles to the hill and easy walking in town, and cheap local transport.

Quote Originally Posted by crashidy View Post
    The skiing is surprisingly good at Louise and sunshine right now. Make sure your edges are sharp and don't be shy to ski the rocks...ah rockies
    Thanks for the quick reply gentlemen.

Agreed Banff > Revelstoke as a town to visit and spend time in, but I’m travelling cross this big country for the snow and terrain not the restaurants ( although it’s always nice to have options).

The sharpen your edges comment along with bluebird all next week has made me defer my trip for a week, and I’m now committing to the Banff trip and taking the Reve hedge off the table.

Hopping the weather forecasts are somewhat accurate as I’m now booked for the last week of February which currently shows daily precipitation in the Rockies. Keeping my fingers crossed the forecast delivers, otherwise I’ll be bringing my sharp Ontario frontside skis

Excellent week in the high alpine in the south Purcells. Quality blower, stability and blue skies. We were able to tag off one line in particular that has peaked my interest for 23 years. A nice knee deep score on a east facing 600m face.

Conditions are starting to look a lot more appealing. Get out there and get some!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_E6439.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	487105 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_E6475.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	487106

Colin with the goods

Quote Originally Posted by M_R View Post
    Would appreciate some local beta on Louis and Sunshine. ( and Revi although I know that’s a different thread)

I need to make a call for next week, I booked Banff ages ago and then double booked Revi as a hedge. Need to cancel one or both.

Both look sub par for next week, but which one should I ski? Been at revi twice in the last decade and haven’t skied the Banff area In 20 years.

Big Three looks to have freezing levels bellow 1000m and bluebird all next week but little snow since the thaw/rain.

Revi seams to have had a good reset since thaw with some light weather early next week, but freezing levels hitting mid mountain for most of the week.

Big three will offer up some nice alpine walks with unlimited visibility, but not sure there is much soft snow up there and no new snow during my trips window.

Revi’s upper mountain might deliver, and light precip early next week can turn into a surprise and is prefered to bluebird but 1100-1400m freezing levels for the entire week worry me.

Any guidance/local beta from the collective to help make my choice would be appreciated.
    Banff Sunshine reports a 106cm settled base; Lake Louise is reporting a 115cm alpine base; Revy is 155cm alpine base and Revy's Stoke chair goes from 5,300ft asl to 7,300ft asl which should mean some pretty good skiing on the upper mountain.

Hey golden mags, I have a favor to ask: I'm in town skiing with some friends, and because I'm a moron, I left my ski pants hanging at my house. Anyone have some old medium-ish ski pants I could borrow for a day or two? There's beer in it for you!

Any of your party coming in from Spokane? I’ve got large gear you can use

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Cgy I’ve got pants available…all size large. If any of ur crew r driving thru…

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Hey golden mags, I have a favor to ask: I'm in town skiing with some friends, and because I'm a moron, I left my ski pants hanging at my house. Anyone have some old medium-ish ski pants I could borrow for a day or two? There's beer in it for you!
    Could try switching gear in Canmore, can prob find some cheap pants or a diamond in the rough.

We're all already in golden. Thanks though! Skied in my wife's pants today because she wasn't skiing, but she's gonna ski tomorrow. Debating which pair of jeans I'm gonna ski in...

I braved the humanity at sunshine and had a fun day getting a sunburn in the inversion.

Conditions were surprisingly ok if you go in with low expectations!

Sent from my SM-A536W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Looks like a great reason to buy a new pair

as for where to ski we would come over to Banff every Jan/ feb on the taxpayer's dime mostly to ski Rogers pass and maybe hit KH/ Revy/Lousy/ banff pretty much where ever it was going off, so I would wait & see if you can
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by teamdirt View Post
    Excellent week in the high alpine in the south Purcells. Quality blower, stability and blue skies. We were able to tag off one line in particular that has peaked my interest for 23 years. A nice knee deep score on a east facing 600m face.

Conditions are starting to look a lot more appealing. Get out there and get some!
    That's great, congrats

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    I braved the humanity at sunshine and had a fun day getting a sunburn in the inversion.

Conditions were surprisingly ok if you go in with low expectations!

Sent from my SM-A536W using Tapatalk
    Stookkeeeeee

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Was at the Lake today. It seems that maybe yesterday with the inversion was the day to hit it. It was crunchy today. Views were great but we left early. We didn't think it was going to warm up enough to soften things up. It was busy.

Things are starting to shape up in the Spray! Could be a good spring! We got on some good lines this week, some with success and some we left with our tail between our legs. Some high alpine areas did not benefit from the warm up and some did, you just need to go out and poke around.

Name:	IMG_E6660.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	487936

Name:	IMG_E6803.JPG 
Views:	69 
Size:	311.1 KB 
ID:	487937

Yeah buddy! Looking to hit the dog chutes when I get back ! Putting some time on the blanks and loving them myself. Hopefully they have recieved some snow and a firm crust.
    Owww wwwe

20cm all around helped today and some more on the way. This week might be good as the new snow starts to mix with the firmer base