Page 50 of 54 FirstFirst ... 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 LastLast
Results 1,226 to 1,250 of 1340
    Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    Let her decide.
    Pro move… And I don’t even think you’ve been married!

The cats, however, are showing their influence on you!

Quote Originally Posted by ejj View Post
    Lurker here without OpenSnow. Have trip to JH and GT planned starting next Wed 3/28. Staying at Mountain Modern in town. Any thoughts on conditions next week? Wife wants to redirect time and money to something else.
    Ha I was just contemplating a trip from CA to Jackson/Big Sky as well, but leaving a week earlier (Mar 21-29). Based on the latest forecast it's likely I'll stick to Tahoe, but it does look like things will be past dust on crust by the 28th.

Not gonna jinx it. But we will be back at The Ghee from next Monday through Saturday. Skiing Tuesday through Friday. Can’t wait.

Let her decide.

Thanks.
    Lol. Thanks--long term success model.

Quote Originally Posted by ejj View Post
    Lol. Thanks--long term success model.
    Or just go without her. 50% the cost!

Jackson Downhill last weekend... Ted Ligety came in 2nd in Pro category methinks.

Maybe he thinks that's Romanowski...
    Seems likely!

Quote Originally Posted by lindenle View Post
    Uan. Gorgeous shots.
    Thank you! Glad you enjoyed.

Quote Originally Posted by NBABUCKS1 View Post
    Seems pretty nuts in ski boots.
    Folks are running around in the Tetons daily in ski boots, and many routes even have 5th class climbing moves — we all have vibram soles (and crampons when needed). Mixed climbing has been a thing for a long, long time. Seems more like that climber's newness to it than exposing anything crazy or new. Gone are the days of Warren Miller showing people slipping in parking lots on alpine soles :-)

Open spaces:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7F5A1309.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	2.64 MB 
ID:	491184

If anyone's into nordic skiing, the last few mornings of crust cruising have been the equivalent of a 12", wind-groomed, bluebird powder day. Insanely fun. Snapped this pic of a friend:

Name:	041A7205-2.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	2.48 MB 
ID:	491183

Quote Originally Posted by upallnight View Post

If anyone's into nordic skiing, the last few mornings of crust cruising have been the equivalent of a 12", wind-groomed, bluebird powder day. Insanely fun. Snapped this pic of a friend:

Name:	041A7205-2.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	2.48 MB 
ID:	491183
    Great pic, crust skating is so much fun when it's in.

When he climbs the Upper-X in nordic boots and descends the Grand on the same skis, that'll be pretty newsworthy I know Rick Wyatt did it on early tele skis, but next level is high cambered/edgeless nordic skating gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Trackhead View Post
    Great pic, crust skating is so much fun when it's in.
    You know it! There are some years when it never really happens — and other years (like right now) where it's off the chain. Such a great way to experience (public) land... accessing areas we don't normally walk to even in summer.

When he climbs the Upper-X in nordic boots and descends the Grand on the same skis, that'll be pretty newsworthy I know Rick Wyatt did it on early tele skis, but next level is high cambered/edgeless nordic skating gear.
    Lots of stuff has gone down on gear far inferior to what we have today, right @Trackhead??

That guy in the picture has done more than most in these mountains, and he also raised a TGR film star who most of us respect.

Frankly, the O-S & upper exum with their rock moves are SAFER ascent routes than having shit rain down on you as people descend the 'ski' line. The real hazard on that day IMO is when gear/snow/a person falls above you. That's just a matter of time given the traffic it sees.

Name:	7F5A0213.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	2.66 MB 
ID:	491283

Quote Originally Posted by upallnight View Post
    Frankly, the O-S & upper exum with their rock moves are SAFER ascent routes than having shit rain down on you as people descend the 'ski' line. The real hazard on that day IMO is when gear/snow/a person falls above you. That's just a matter of time given the traffic it sees.
    It's funny how the objective hazards have changed to human causes vs nature caused as skimo, ice climbing, alpinism, high altitude mountaineering, etc have gained popularity.

Add me to the list of next weeks arrivals. Staying at kokomas (thanks for deal!) and skiing some w the 16 year olds, some w the gf, likely some solo stuff and w non magg lokes as well. Hmu if anyone wants to take some laps pass or vill.
    Pic from a couple weeks ago in those parts

Name:	IMG_2472.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	155.6 KB 
ID:	491374

Quote Originally Posted by cdubski View Post
    Add me to the list of next weeks arrivals.
    Same, coming down from Montucky to ski with 12yr old sat/sun.
    Staying in camper.
    Hopefully the weekend storm comes in.
    Those half price tickets really bring in the gapers like us

It's funny how the objective hazards have changed to human causes vs nature caused as skimo, ice climbing, alpinism, high altitude mountaineering, etc have gained popularity.
    Funny and inevitable.

I'm glad for more folks in the mountains.

There's a rich debate to be had about bottom-up vs top-down approaches to routes even without factoring additional parties into the decision — with pros and cons on both sides. Certain routes, like the Grand (which isn't even a great ski route much less one of the better ski routes in THIS small range) get an outsized amount of attention. Better gear, more and fitter people = more people to drop stuff, fall (and fall on you), or set off a slide, intentional or otherwise.

I'm a fan of minimizing time in the highest danger zones. I wonder when we have a major accident up there, which will likely lead to regulation (even permits) for certain routes. That would make me sad because I am big on personal responsibility & freedom to do whatever on any given day (as long as it doesn't impact others), but given the volume of people lining up for this it seems inevitable. A major accident will be sad for those involved and likely impactful to everyone who skis in the high peaks.

The Grand would get almost no attention as a ski line if it wasn't the highest peak in the range.

Folks in the know are using different lines to both approach and exit while retaining the key bits of the trade routes.

Quote Originally Posted by cdubski View Post
    Add me to the list of next weeks arrivals. Staying at kokomas (thanks for deal!) and skiing some w the 16 year olds, some w the gf, likely some solo stuff and w non magg lokes as well. Hmu if anyone wants to take some laps pass or vill.
    Pic from a couple weeks ago in those parts

Name:	IMG_2472.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	155.6 KB 
ID:	491374
    Enjoy mang, thanks for the biz. If anyone wants cheapish digs in the village this spring pm me. Lotsa openings from April 3rd on. And lifts spin an extra week this year

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
    Day Man. Fighter of the Night Man. Champion of the Sun. Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone.

Same, coming down from Montucky to ski with 12yr old sat/sun.
    Staying in camper.
    Hopefully the weekend storm comes in.
    Those half price tickets really bring in the gapers like us
    If you need a place in town to park it for the night, just holler.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    If you need a place in town to park it for the night, just holler.
    Appreciate the offer greatly. We are staying at Fireside which will be convenient.

Perfect. As I am quite sure you are aware, boondocking here in the winter is especially difficult,
    Enjoy!

And you can walk to Sidewinders and Calico, bonus.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Yeah. Back in the day I’d sleep in the Taggart lot on Teton trips, but that was long before carbon boots and fat skis. Times have changed.

40% off Targhee lodging next week

Wow it’s warm down here. Saturday I’m assuming will be like a coral reef? Maybe Sunday will be softer is storm produces.

Wow it’s warm down here. Saturday I’m assuming will be like a coral reef? Maybe Sunday will be softer is storm produces.
    I was told Thurs/Fri was horrendous in the Bowl but improved later in the day(s). Hope you had a great trip! I figured things would get worse before they got better given inbounds surfaces — hope they did just that!

Still feels like winter...

Yesterday as super interesting... went to the spot I figured would have the best snow, uninspired by valley rain. Topped out a few hours and about 4,000' higher. Looked like old debris and/or rollerballs covered by new snow in some spots, so I was expecting it to be possibly refrozen/awful/chunder. The surface didn't look pretty but skied like soft, untracked pow for a few thousand feet. Go figure! Snow was non-reactive even on the steepest parts... couldn't get anything of substance to move even in 40*+ start zones, which was surprising.

Name:	7F5A5239.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	1.95 MB 
ID:	491900

& today — some bluebird untracked fresh.... and everyone either over it or on spring break.
    [Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7F5A5395.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	1.85 MB 
ID:	491899

Saturday was rough then fun corn after 1130. Sunday was ok after about 1pm. My kid is Uber positive all the time so it made it tolerable.
    Name:  IMG_2227.jpeg
Views: 419
Size:  83.6 KB

Well, this morning looks promising. So glad to be back.

Dang… the ghee skied so good this afternoon. Sorta wished I skipped outta work sooner today