Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

ISO: Cheap/Free Tele binding with a heel cable (75mm duckbill)

Trying to mount up my Marquette Backcountry skis. Need a binder. I'm in Ogden/Jackson for pickup if it works.

Something that will screw into this pattern and work with my 75mm boots

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RzW4nth.png 
Views:	80 
Size:	590.6 KB 
ID:	473124

Quote Originally Posted by NBABUCKS1 View Post
    Trying to mount up my Marquette Backcountry skis. Need a binder. I'm in Ogden/Jackson for pickup if it works.

Something that will screw into this pattern and work with my 75mm boots

Name:	RzW4nth.png 
Views:	80 
Size:	590.6 KB 
ID:	473124
    I would forgo the cable if it were me, such a pain to hike with the spring resistance. Or at least would look for a voile 3 pin with removable cable. They can often be found cheap at thrift stores.

gotcha - i know nothing about any of this and there's a dude that's really into these 'skis' and that's what he says to get.

gotcha - i know nothing about any of this and there's a dude that's really into these 'skis' and that's what he says to get.
    What boots do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by 3PinGrin View Post
    What boots do you have?

an old pair of garmont boots i got from mmmski that i don't have with me at the moment to get exact model

3 pin is the way to go. If yoy want one, pm me as I think I have set in the garage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Perfer et obdura, hic dolor olim utior tibi. -Ovid

Quote Originally Posted by Laps View Post
    3 pin is the way to go. If yoy want one, pm me as I think I have set in the garage.
    Well there ya go OP! Just make sure your boots have pin holes. I recall that there were a couple of plastic boots without.

@NBA - I've got 3 sets of the ones in the middle of the picture. Pretty fresh too. If ya want a pair, they're here for you anytime.

I'm outta town from 10/24-11/10. Before or after, holla.

Those would be the G3 Targas with what appear to be the red cartridges, which were considered all-mountain to accommodate most 3-buckle and some 4-buckle boots. Green cartridges are the world cup/race (for stiffer, 4-buckle boots), silver for softer/two-buckle boots and blue for women's, iirc.

Your Garmonts still have pin-holes, if you decide to go with a pin binding. Otherwise, if going with a cable binding, the boots themselves have a notch above where the heel cable rests, so if traveling uphill, instead of loosening the cartridges each time to release cable tension, simply latch the heel throw on that upper notch, leave it loose ie don't engage, and it should relieve enough tension that you barely notice the cables (except for the noise, lol). Placing the looser cable there instead of leaving it disengaged in the heel slot prevents the cable from flopping around or you stepping on it.

Yes, 3-pin is most ideal when touring not performance turning, but it's not totally necessary. You can tour just fine on an old-school tele binding.

I got some kind of horrible tele bindings if you want them. A 4 pack of Busted Knuckle and they are yours.

Sent from my SM-G781V using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Leftyt View Post
    I got some kind of horrible tele bindings if you want them. A 4 pack of Busted Knuckle and they are yours.

Name:	20231016_223518.jpeg 
Views:	41 
Size:	63.7 KB 
ID:	473174

Quote Originally Posted by Jax View Post
    Those would be the G3 Targas with what appear to be the red cartridges, which were considered all-mountain to accommodate most 3-buckle and some 4-buckle boots. Green cartridges are the world cup/race (for stiffer, 4-buckle boots), silver for softer/two-buckle boots and blue for women's, iirc.

Your Garmonts still have pin-holes, if you decide to go with a pin binding. Otherwise, if going with a cable binding, the boots themselves have a notch above where the heel cable rests, so if traveling uphill, instead of loosening the cartridges each time to release cable tension, simply latch the heel throw on that upper notch, leave it loose ie don't engage, and it should relieve enough tension that you barely notice the cables (except for the noise, lol). Placing the looser cable there instead of leaving it disengaged in the heel slot prevents the cable from flopping around or you stepping on it.

Yes, 3-pin is most ideal when touring not performance turning, but it's not totally necessary. You can tour just fine on an old-school tele binding.
    There was a very short run of Scarpa or Garmont boots without pin holes as I recall. May have been only on STP or something, I just don’t remember the exact details.

Targa had a touring heel lever option which could be flipped upside down to reduce resistance by about 20%. Agree that pins are the best for this setup though.

sorry stepped away from computer for a bit.

laps and 3 pin - looks like they do have 3 pin (just checked). the weirdo who loves these things keeps saying cable and there's a few cables to go aroudn so I'm going to try that route first.

Django- appreciate it! going to see how easy it is to get off leftyt first....thanks!

jax thanks for the tips!

lefty going to pm!

actually lefty - if the mounting pattern on those are two screws top and two screws bottom on toe piece they definitely will not work w/ these

(top is front of ski)

Name:	IMG_0018.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	240.5 KB 
ID:	473183

Attachment 473175
    Last edited by NBABUCKS1; 10-17-2023 at 06:48 AM.

Actually, voile switchback posted by lefty is a great option too IMO. Kick and glide is more “hingey” but definitely doable and more power for the down (assuming plastic boots). I ran those on Elan Lhotses for a few years as a light low angle rambler setup.

Pins are a better match for leather.

actually lefty - if the mounting pattern on those are two screws top and two screws bottom on toe piece they definitely will not work w/ these

(top is front of ski)

Attachment 473175
    Oh, that rules out the Targas as well. Pins for the win!

Quote Originally Posted by 3PinGrin View Post
    Oh, that rules out the Targas as well. Pins for the win!

ha! But on second look that middle binding posted (from my original post) has the same mounting pattern as lefty. Maybe he just mounted two screws ?

(top is front of ski)

Attachment 473175
    The Targas (middle pic you posted) are also a 4 hole mount. Maybe they drilled or there is an adapter plate. Usually the adapter plates go from 4 to 3 holes though, not the other way around.

The binding posted by lefty has a free pivot, so much easier to tour on. Touring on Cobras will make a man of ya though! Ha

Don’t forget patchouli and a quiver of lurks.

I found the using the G3 heel lever in reverse didn't do jack for me, it would always just pop back down as my gaiters would interfere with them.

Every Garmont 75mm boot I sold even up to the end had pin holes. Even old Supercomps had them. Maybe it was a Scarpa deal but even when I worked retail, never saw a 75mm boot that didn't have them, even T-races. An STP closeout/SMU sounds about right. Anyway, yes, leather best for pins, I agree! God, getting old. lol

Oh man, Switchbacks. As stated above, 'hingy' is a good word. It's a tele binding that tours like at AT binding. You can still buy them new from Voile, which is really something. That 4-hole pattern should work, it's same as the g3 pattern. https://www.voile.com/voile-switchba...k-binding.html

Looks like they were BD boots, see last post.

https://www.backcountrytalk.com/foru...th-touring-rig

Quote Originally Posted by Leftyt View Post

Name:	20231016_223518.jpeg 
Views:	41 
Size:	63.7 KB 
ID:	473174

I'll take those off your hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Jax View Post
    I found the using the G3 heel lever in reverse didn't do jack for me, it would always just pop back down as my gaiters would interfere with them.
    The whole binding less reliable than anything by voile in my experience (snapped two heel levers and popped out a couple times when skiing hard), but at least spare parts were readily available.

That being said, the heel lever always worked fine for me, but far from a free pivot.

I’ve been running my marquettes w/o heel lever for nearly a decade. The weirdo skis them in alpine stance, I tend to slightly drop a knee and have very short vertical (100-200’ max) for these, so haven’t felt great need for heel throw’s personally. Great for backyard laps and ride them around our MTB trails on the rare occasions we get a good storm dump.

I would be reluctant to put extra holes in these to account for a targa binding/4 hole pattern. I’ve had Voile mountaineer 3 pins on them, might be worth getting the ones with removable heel springs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk