WTB: 29" wheelset with QR hubs, or just the hubs

I have an old Karate Monkey that's been in gravel mode for a few years, and I want to convert it back to a rigid MTB (i.e. flat bars, bigger tires). I'm going to keep the gravel wheelset around, so I'm looking for new wheels or at least hubs. Anyone have anything satisfying the following criteria lying around, or have ideas of what I should look for?

- 100mm QR front, 135mm QR rear, or convertible to that with available parts
    - Shimano 11sp HG driver
    - 28 or 32 spoke count
    - 29" rims, 25-30mm inner width

Older DT 350s, Hope Pro II, etc would be great.
    kittyhump.com - Fund Max, Cat Appreciation, Bike

Just upgraded an old Breezer this summer. For the front wheel you can get generic QR adapters that will a thru-axle hub. The rear is brand specific. I picked up a mid-range Hayes rear wheel that came with a QR adapter.
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

I’ve been keeping an eye out for a front QR 9x100 wheel since I bent mine 2 summers ago. I’d prefer a 23-27mm rim. That axle size seems to have been trampled by 15x110. Good luck with your search and please pass along info if you find a decent source.

There are new 9x100 qr wheel sets for sale on several websites. I was looking for wheels when trying to decide which rigid fork to buy for my Jamis Dragon. I ended up buying a Krampus fork because I already have two 29 wheel sets.

I’m digging full rigid btw. For most trails around here suspension is overkill. Modern geometry, disc brakes and fatter tires makes a full rigid ride really nice

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    I’ve been keeping an eye out for a front QR 9x100 wheel since I bent mine 2 summers ago. I’d prefer a 23-27mm rim. That axle size seems to have been trampled by 15x110. Good luck with your search and please pass along info if you find a decent source.
    Just bought a set of these in HG/non-boost:
    https://us.huntbikewheels.com/produc...33272439799853

I ordered QR adapters from them too, but I think they'll set them up with whatever axle adapters you need for free--there's a step after checkout to do that. Will see if they refund me the adapter cost ($30), but seems like a decent cheap wheelset.

Fist bump for Karate Monkeys and rigid modern bikes in general- love mine. Might have to source a back wheel someday, i have an Alfine internal gear hub that’s got lots of miles. Regardless, if I could only have one bike, thats the one.

Gravity always wins...

I’m going the other direction, putting gravel wheels on the KM. Old Transition Revolution 29’s are shot.

These aren’t the width you’re looking for but a decent deal for some Chris Kings. If I had more faith in WTB I would probably pick them up.

https://sellwoodcycle.com/products/7...-disc-wheelset

Velomine has a bunch of options. I’ve bought several wheel sets from them in the past and they often have great deals. Gotta pay for shipping though.

https://velomine.com/collections/mou...10-11-speed-hg

Quote Originally Posted by benk View Post
    I’m going the other direction, putting gravel wheels on the KM. Old Transition Revolution 29’s are shot.

These aren’t the width you’re looking for but a decent deal for some Chris Kings. If I had more faith in WTB I would probably pick them up.

https://sellwoodcycle.com/products/7...-disc-wheelset
    What’s the difference between a gravel wheel and a 29er wheel? Nothing. If you’re talking plus size or fat bike sure but regardless of hub spacing and axle type a 700c wheel with a sturdy rim is a 29er/gravel/road depending on which tire you put on it. All these new categories of bikes and components are manufactured by bicycle manufacturers and their marketing departments

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    What’s the difference between a gravel wheel and a 29er wheel? Nothing. If you’re talking plus size or fat bike sure but regardless of hub spacing and axle type a 700c wheel with a sturdy rim is a 29er/gravel/road depending on which tire you put on it. All these new categories of bikes and components are manufactured by bicycle manufacturers and their marketing departments

At 230lbs I’m going to trust a 32 spoke wheel designed to take mtb hits over a 24 spoke light duty rim. On top of that rim width will change tire options and feel.

https://www.bikeisland.com has loads of QR wheelsets in all wheel sizes, including 29er, for very little money.

(They're the outlet store for bikesdirect)