Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Whistler 23-24

Whistler 23-24

Return of El Niño.
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.

Let's hope for cold temps next week so we get some turns to get the thread going.

Sept 22 before the rains. Last shot is on 86 below the bowls

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230922_120643.jpeg 
Views:	321 
Size:	304.1 KB 
ID:	470442Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20230922_171404_844.jpeg 
Views:	244 
Size:	239.1 KB 
ID:	470443Name:  20230922_130135.jpeg
Views: 5422
Size:  108.9 KB

Beauty pics Lee. Loving Peak/Creekside for lift access trail bike fun this summer.

In sadder news, seeing on socials that Wayne Flann passed away? Didn’t know him personally but chatted a few times on the mountain over the years and learned a ton from the awesome resource that was his daily blog. RIP.

Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    Beauty pics Lee. Loving Peak/Creekside for lift access trail bike fun this summer.

In sadder news, seeing on socials that Wayne Flann passed away? Didn’t know him personally but chatted a few times on the mountain over the years and learned a ton from the awesome resource that was his daily blog. RIP.
    Wango could write well

https://www.mountainlifemedia.ca/201...BS9l7hyRaWh9EA

New snow! Probably won't last the next stormClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20230924_074321_Chrome.jpeg 
Views:	157 
Size:	45.2 KB 
ID:	470612

Sad news indeed.
    Knew Wayne casually, through interactions from his blog. Great passion for wanting to share knowledge, helped the community in many ways. Took a lot of effort to do that on a daily basis, grateful for that.
    First thing I did every morning come winter was read through his blog, infinitely better curated that random social accounts with more participation
    RIP
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.

Holy fuck, thats a huge bummer.
    His blog was such an amazing resource.
    No idea of the details but saw him earlier this summer at RMU and he seemed in great spirits and energetic. Tragic.

Have a great photo of Blackcomb Peak mounted on canvas from him on my wall.

RIP

That sucks about Wayne. Checking out his blog is a daily ritual during the winter months. Really the best way to know what's happening around W/B. What a bummer.

How old was Wayne?

Damn, during my winter living in Creekside (remains the best season of my life) in 17/18 one of you put me on Wayne's blog and it was a daily read. Randomly rode a gondola up with him once, he was gracious as I talked his ear off. His enthusiasm for things as big as slides and as small as some great light on armchair or something was unmatched. RIP.

Along with his avalanche blog, Wayne was a decades long member of the Blackcomb Ski Patrol, the British Columbia Ambulance Service, and the Whistler Search and Rescue. Wayne was likely one of the most experienced long line rescue techs in the province, and a true pioneer in that field. Wayne was never one to be too public about the rescues that he was involved in, but he was a real OG of helicopter rescue. A personal favourite of mine was watching Wayne get longlined into a crevasse to rescue a snowmobiler who stuffed himself and his machine into a slot on the Brandywine Glacier. A huge loss for the rescue community in the Sea to Sky. A good man and a mentor to many of us in the valley.
    RIP Wango.

Quote Originally Posted by Clownshoe View Post
    Along with his avalanche blog, Wayne was a decades long member of the Blackcomb Ski Patrol, the British Columbia Ambulance Service, and the Whistler Search and Rescue. Wayne was likely one of the most experienced long line rescue techs in the province, and a true pioneer in that field. Wayne was never one to be too public about the rescues that he was involved in, but he was a real OG of helicopter rescue. A personal favourite of mine was watching Wayne get longlined into a crevasse to rescue a snowmobiler who stuffed himself and his machine into a slot on the Brandywine Glacier. A huge loss for the rescue community in the Sea to Sky. A good man and a mentor to many of us in the valley.
    RIP Wango.
    what a man, huge loss to the community. RIP

Does anyone know if the Jersey Cream replacement is still on for next year? If it is I'm wondering if Whistler will stay open into May rather than Blackcomb this season.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Does anyone know if the Jersey Cream replacement is still on for next year? If it is I'm wondering if Whistler will stay open into May rather than Blackcomb this season.
    On that note, is Fitz on schedule?

On that note, is Fitz on schedule?
    It certainly seems to be. The chairs are on-site. I saw a photo and they use the same footrest style as Emerald.

Whistler's looking for volunteer ski patrol. This is late-stage capitalism.

Looks like it's official now that Whistler will be open late rather than Blackcomb: https://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/ex...operation.aspx

Does anyone remember the last time this happened? Seems like it's been a while now.

Looks like it's official now that Whistler will be open late rather than Blackcomb: https://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/ex...operation.aspx

Does anyone remember the last time this happened? Seems like it's been a while now.
    18/19 maybe? I remember skiing on Whis in the spring recently. def not 19/20 or 20/21...

Blackcomb was earlier close in 2014-15 and 2018-19 & 2019-20

Right, i thought we shut down in March 2020 but it was March 2021 I guess

Whistler just announced peak days walk up lift ticket pricing at $299Cdn. but that is only $218Usd.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xV5-XWDduK0

There's also a "Whistler Blackcomb Day Pass" for 1 to 10 days for around $110 per day. More if you want to include peak days which are just the various holidays. It's a version of the Edge Card and not restricted to Canadians and Washington residents.
    If you have a problem & think that someone else is going to solve it for you then you have two problems.

Assuming this is for the Jersey Cream replacement?
    Because rich has nothing to do with money.

As the rain starts to pour down and the freezing levels yoyo around, here's my annual reminder of the link to the raw weather data for the mountain.

All the temps, winds, and wind direction data is real, but not all the fields are showing real data. For example, snowfall on Whistler is only measured at Pig Alley, so the snowfall data you see on the Peak and other spots are just linked from Pig Alley. The snowfall data for Whistler can be found on the Pig Alley 2.0 tab.

Same for Blackcomb. Temps and wind data is generally accurate for most of the stations, but snowfall is only measured at Catskinner. That data is in the Catskinner (New) tab.

Sometimes the data is totally wrong. Catskinner was showing -7 for a couple of days this week, when it obviously wasn't actually that temp. Some of the temps are from sensors mounted on the metal roof of the lift stations, so solar effect can throw the temps off a bit. Caveat emptor.

See you all up there soon.

https://secure.whistlerblackcomb.com...r/default.aspx

here's hoping we have a great season clownshoe, et al! stay safe our there keep your heads up!