Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Whistler 23-24

Traveling up next weekend. Anyone care to share a mostly reliable forecast/weather link for conditions?

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeLuke View Post
    Traveling up next weekend. Anyone care to share a mostly reliable forecast/weather link for conditions?
    Spotwx has been good in the 2 - 3.5 day timeframe. Snow-forecast is optimistic wrt precip but pretty good for freezing levels. Meteoblue aggregation has also been solid this year

Well today was way above expectations. Nice sunny May day.

Whistler 23-24

Thanks LeeLau! Looking for a little local advice on coverage and selecting skis for trip this weekend. Am I best to bring lower tier skis I’m okay getting base damage with or send it with my coveted boards? TIA
    Last edited by CascadeLuke; 01-31-2024 at 05:41 PM.

Whatever has the sharpest edges. I think most of the precip has passed and its below freezing on most of the mountain without much more insight. Havent been up since Sunday and it looks like we lost a lot of snow, but having said that i don't think you'll be venturing too far from the groomers so i would personally run the good ones. Especially if they are red.

Whistler 23-24

Quote Originally Posted by nortonwhis View Post
    Whatever has the sharpest edges. I think most of the precip has passed and its below freezing on most of the mountain without much more insight. Havent been up since Sunday and it looks like we lost a lot of snow, but having said that i don't think you'll be venturing too far from the groomers so i would personally run the good ones. Especially if they are red.
    Copy that. We took a big hit to base locally and saw 40 cm melt off W/B since I’ve been paying attention- so I wondered.

I'm thinking about heading up next weekend. Forecast looks somewhat promising, but still a ways out. Anyone with any recent first-hand observations?

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    I'm thinking about heading up next weekend. Forecast looks somewhat promising, but still a ways out. Anyone with any recent first-hand observations?
    Have not been up since all the rain but it snowed a bit on Thursday and from what I've seen on social media at least the alpine is looking not bad right now.

From Saturday:

Lower mountain is extremely icy. Ski outs are surprisingly fine (Whistler anyway), but everything not in reach of snowmaking is in rough shape. Below midstation there's essentially no snow off the main routes. With Whistler staying open this spring and Bcomb closing early, I'll bet you'll see continued snowmaking on Whistler and Bcomb getting minimal attention.
    Above treeline there's a bit of pow on top of rock hard bed surfaces. Surprisingly good conditions yesterday actually, with sunny skies and calm winds with actual pow turns to be had. Of course it's all skied up now after weekend crowds got at it yesterday. Huge lineups for alpine lifts all day yesterday (obviously).
    Backcountry would probably be decent at the moment, but that's just based on looking out there from in bounds. North aspects stayed cold, solar aspects got sun affected.

The key is finding smooth surfaces under the pow, and being on a polar aspect above treeline

You might want to consider the B.C Interior where it has gotten colder and is snowing vs coastal B.C. Sun Peaks got 2cm overnight, Revy 4cm, Silverstar 5cm, Whitewater 12cm, Red 6cm. It's not much but it is starting to return to winter in the B.C. Interior.

Quote Originally Posted by DanoT View Post
    You might want to consider the B.C Interior where it has gotten colder and is snowing vs coastal B.C. Sun Peaks got 2cm overnight, Revy 4cm, Silverstar 5cm, Whitewater 12cm, Red 6cm. It's not much but it is starting to return to winter in the B.C. Interior.
    Yeah, I need to use my Edge Card days. In other news this is how the resorts lock you in before the season even starts.

Yeah, I need to use my Edge Card days. In other news this is how the resorts lock you in before the season even starts.
    Just use 'em. You need a low bar to be set anyway so the next batch of mediocre days seem great. At the end of the day it's still time spent up in the mountains on skis, so you gotta enjoy what you can.

Clownshoe’s description above matches my experience Saturday. When peak chair popped it was a blast otherwise you’re getting refrozen with man made areas.
    Would I go next weekend and spend good money for lodging? No. I’d press my luck for better conditions in March.

I saw this commercial on TV today and at first glance thought the bridge shown at about the 15 second mark was the one over the Cheakamus River right next to Fergie's in Brackendale, but that bridge doesn't have a pier in the middle. I still think it looks like it could be somewhere in the Sea to Sky corridor. Can anyone identify it?
    https://youtu.be/MRCXE9SzPM8?si=F-vYbtL9Ot6BEvnY

I saw this commercial on TV today and at first glance thought the bridge shown at about the 15 second mark was the one over the Cheakamus River right next to Fergie's in Brackendale, but that bridge doesn't have a pier in the middle. I still think it looks like it could be somewhere in the Sea to Sky corridor. Can anyone identify it?
    https://youtu.be/MRCXE9SzPM8?si=F-vYbtL9Ot6BEvnY
    Ashlu?
    https://www.squamishchief.com/in-the...hecked-3352311

Quote Originally Posted by joeyjeremiah View Post
    Huh, it sure looks like it to me.

Quote Originally Posted by joeyjeremiah View Post
    No way a stock truck could make it that deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Cocximus View Post
    No way a stock truck could make it that deep.
    I think it's the start of Ashlu main FSR. The crossing over the Squamish river.

Ya. 35s are must.

Sherpa’s Cinema makes the Dodge Ram commercials and some of them are based in Whistler/Squamish. Yes the makers of the ski films…”All I Can, La Liste” etc….

Interesting. That bridge is only like a mile beyond where the pavement ends on the Squamish Valley Road, so it seems like they could get a stock truck to it without much problem. It's not like they'd really need to drive beyond the bridge. Just far enough to get the footage.

people drive much less capable vehicles than that a lot further up the valley! in 2003 or 2004 a roommate and I drove his 2 door civic hatchback all the way to the end of the Elaho to hike the Randy Stoltmann/100 lakes plateau, though wouldn't be able to do that these days.

Any recent updates from the hill? I have a trip planned next month and I’m starting to get cold feet. I’m thinking of rerouting to Utah.

Am I being overly pessimistic?
    Because rich has nothing to do with money.

Oh I was just poking fun at the truck crows. Lots of evos made it way further.

Updates? Today was fun. The next two will be awesome. The end of March is impossible to predict. If you catch a few storms it should be great. It's an El Nino year so chances of good cold storms are lower.

Headed up this weekend for the holiday . Glad to see some snow came in over the weekend . Hopefully the alpine stays decent . Question , booked to late to buy an edge card . Any other option for discounted tickets besides directly on the website (doubtful ) I miss being able to stop and buy discounted tickets at 7-11 in Squamish ..

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums