Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    This thread is relevant to my interests.

Any similar beta on Kokanee Glacier Cabin? I've got a week there in March so interested to learn as much as I can before I arrive.

Quote Originally Posted by ey_allen View Post
    This thread is relevant to my interests.

Any similar beta on Kokanee Glacier Cabin? I've got a week there in March so interested to learn as much as I can before I arrive.
    Check out Lee Lau’s blog posts, and you’ll be as informed as anyone needs.

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    Check out Lee Lau’s blog posts, and you’ll be as informed as anyone needs.
    Rad. Just found these. Thanks for the tip.

Great reviews, thanks for posting this. I will say that I've been to Sorcerer a few times and never thought the GCH overlap was an issue. If nothing else having a heli operation nearby adds an extra layer of safety, and it always seemed there was good courtesy between GCH and Sorcerer.

Ice Creek and Burnie are high on my list now to explore.

BC Backcountry Lodge Review

Yeah I felt the same way about Sorcerer. I think we’d see a heli a couple times a day at most, and we never saw any skiers or came across any tracks. Not a big deal to me. Might be more annoying for the guides though.
    Last edited by frosted flakes; 10-18-2023 at 08:44 AM.

If you can get on a trip where ze guide had cancelations and wnats to fill the roster you can really get a good deal but you gotta be able to drop everthing to show up,

I sent the guide money on a tuesday, regluing skins at midnight ( check your gear kids!) which left 2 days for driving in case of snow and we were in the chopper on friday
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I’ll take hut trip reviews of any kind because it is a rare and precious sort of information. I’m in the beggars can’t be choosers camp on this one.

I’ve been guided by Arctos at Sorcerer and had a good experience. I think his information is worthwhile as he is a dedicated mountain traveller. I got the hut review digest from him and Zenith on that trip and committed it to memory!

For what it is worth, the fact that terrain at Sorcerer is shared with heli skiing never bothered me too much, or limited access to the terrain we wanted to ski the most. The lodge could have used some improvement at the time, so it’s good to hear that the expansion happened. There is the noise factor occasionally, which does affect the experience a little. I think the terrain there is very good.

Yeah I really appreciate the info! Thanks Arctos.

I’ve been looking into Burnie…

PURCELL MOUNTAIN LODGE

Never been. No insight

SOL MOUNTAIN LODGE

Been 4 times. 3 self-guided. 1 guided. All good times and it's so hard to get self-guided plus Aaron (understandably) has to QA you so it may be hard to get. I also like the 7 days program so the "shortness" of the 6 day program is a bummer.

Like the location of staging. It's easier for us from the coast to get to Cherryville than either Revy or Golden which both are a full days' drive.

Love the lodge. 5 indoor toilets! 5!!! Triple-ply T-P. The more grungy lodges that charge the same price (Snowfall? With mold? Come on!). Every room is nice. It's so well thought out. You bring someone to their first lodge-based tour and they go to Sol - well it'll spoil them for everything else.

Monashee pow is sick. There's so much snow here and it's so freaking light. Sol will frequently get 1.5 to 2x the Valkyr/Valhalla lodges. They'll frequently get the most HS or any of the BC backcountry lodges. Frankly it gets ridiculous.

The treed terrain is sick. There's all aspects of trees; the spacing is perfect. The terrain is hub-and-spoke with the touring surrounding the hut and in concentric circles of distance. This worked well for us self-guided as groups with more range could take off and branch out for longer distance or bigger zones while more chill members or whoever just wanted a rest day could y-yo close plentiful laps. IMO the best tree skiing I've ever had the privilege of getting quadruple overhead snorkel blower

It's said by some that Sol has no alpine. That is a scurrilous lie! Well, not really. If you're not aggressive or not too psyched about 1500m+ days or not too stoked on bigger objectives and you're into more mellow angle alpine tours for those high-pressure days. ; then you're probably not going to find much of that terrain. There's no glaciers close by. There's beautiful alpine objectives but they're a fair walk there and a fair walk back and much of it is binary outcome - ie steep and aggressive.

Edit just noticed what Conor said about lacking big alpine terrain. Kind of see his point. I don't think I'd guide people down the stuff that unguided recreationals (ie myself) would ski. Likely would be too big a group and too hard to manage

Downside

- Lacks glaciers
    - Alpine terrain is pretty aggressive
    - Can be visited by sleds. They access from the FSRs and track out the meadows and lower angled stuff in the tenure. They shouldn't but it does happen infrequently.

Quote Originally Posted by Arctos Guides View Post
    Purcell Mountain Lodge

Located on the Eastern boundary of Glacier National Park, Purcell Mountain Lodge provides guests with unparalleled views of Mt Sir Donald. It’s lodge is super plush too, with private rooms, wifi, running water, showers, sauna, a nice dining and living room area. There’s also a drying room and a smaller lodge for smaller groups. Lots of emphasis on comfort at PML.
    The skiing is quite mellow and the terrain is suitable for nordic skiers and snowshoers too. Stronger groups can access bigger terrain, but it is a long walk to get there. PML is a great place to go if you’re looking for a soft entrance into backcountry lodge trips. They also offer three, four and seven day trips.
    Overall Score
    Accommodations 5
    Terrain 3
    Value 4

Sol Mountain Lodge

You won’t find nicer hosts. Aaron and Sabine Cooperman started this family business in the early 2000’s and have been full steam ahead ever since. Sol is a year-round full service backcountry lodge that offers skiing and splitboarding in the winter and hiking and mountain biking in the summer.
    The lodge is situated at approximately 1900m in the Southern Monashees, an area know for prolific snowfalls. Height of snow in April has been measured at over five meters. The lodge is super comfortable with private rooms, flush toilets, hot showers, plenty of hang out space, dining area, a drying room, stretching space, wifi and a wood fired sauna. The lodge is set up to house a large group or multiple small groups with multiple guides. If you’re looking for a lodge to transition into backcountry lodge life, Sol makes for a nice starting point with approachable terrain and the all the comforts of home.
    It does lack big alpine terrain, so if that’s what you’re after, you should look elsewhere. However Sol offers lots of different aspects to ski and excellent Monashee powder skiing. The tree skiing is all time! At times you’ll find yourself walking on the flats to get to the different zones. Sol also runs shorter trips, so if you don’t have a full week for a lodge trip it’s a great option.
    Overall Score
    Accommodations 5
    Terrain 3.5
    Value 4.5
    Last edited by LeeLau; 11-06-2023 at 06:17 PM.

SELKIRK LODGE

placeholder

SORCERER LODGE

placeholder

Selkirk LodgePerched on a ridge at treeline, Selkirk Lodge faces the Justice glacier. Honestly, its one of the nicest backcountry lodges out there. The systems are dialed, the Devine’s are incredible hosts and the terrain is great.
    It does share terrain with Selkirk Tangiers Heliskiing, so there is helicopter traffic in the area. If you go in April, Tangiers is closed and the snowpack has had a chance to settle out, making for better travel conditions. One of the fun aspects about Selkirk Lodge is the variety of loop tours you can do. The terrain is huge too, which adds an amazing element to this lodge. A week of storm skiing or high hazard would be challenging at Selkirk Lodge as a lot of its prime terrain is the expansive alpine surrounding the lodge.
    Overall Score
    Accommodations 5
    Terrain 5

Sorcerer Lodge
    Located at treeline in the Northern Selkirks, Sorcerer Lodge has some great terrain. However the biggest downside is that it share’s its tenure with Great Canadian Heli Skiing. Not only will you see and hear helicopters and heli skiers, but you’ll also share runs such as the Perfect Glacier with them.
    The lodge itself is reasonably comfortable with a new addition last year, a sauna private rooms and dinning and hangout space. There’s also a drying room and outhouses. It can sleep nearly 18 guests, so it’s not the place for those who are seeking a small group experience.
    The upside is it has some expansive glaciated terrain, avalanche path skiing, some storm skiing directly below the hut, numerous drainages and aspects to explore. Ventigo Creek is also a bit of a cooler, thus you can find great skiing at Sorcerer well into late April.
    While Great Canadian Heli Skiing is operating, the serenity most backcountry lodge guests seek is adversely affected; thus if you’re looking for a quote backcountry lodge experience at Sorcerer, picking a week in April after Great Canadian Heli Skiing is closed is your best option.
    Overall Score
    Accommodations 4
    Terrain 4.75 (2.5 when Great Canadian is operating near by.)
    Value 4

I am glad people are finding some utility in this thread. Clearly folks will have their own opinions—I like skiing in smaller groups, love big alpine terrain and don’t like listening to helicopters while I tour. I welcome your thoughts and would love to hear about lodges I haven’t visited.

Lee, you nailed it on Sol. I have had lots of fun skiing in the alpine there, the north face of Fosthall is a great run. The deep Monashee pow is certainly a highlight.

Steady precipitation in Slocan this am—ski season is just around the corner.

I am glad people are finding some utility in this thread. Clearly folks will have their own opinions—I like skiing in smaller groups, love big alpine terrain and don’t like listening to helicopters while I tour. I welcome your thoughts and would love to hear about lodges I haven’t visited.

Lee, you nailed it on Sol. I have had lots of fun skiing in the alpine there, the north face of Fosthall is a great run. The deep Monashee pow is certainly a highlight.

Steady precipitation in Slocan this am—ski season is just around the corner.
    Thanks Conor. Other ppl I know who aren't on TGR have asked about lodges and I tell them to go read this thread + what Evan wrote.

It's a good resource and then you combine it with updates and opinions from others so you get a good flavour

I love this thread, keep it coming.

You guys have me wanting to go to Sol. Pimp accommodations, deep powder, and amazeballs tree lines? That literally sounds like heaven to me
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I love this thread, keep it coming.

You guys have me wanting to go to Sol. Pimp accommodations, deep powder, and amazeballs tree lines? That literally sounds like heaven to me
    That also reminds me. Arctos put in some nice Intel about the downsides if the conditions are poor. Ie what are your choices. I'll add to that list when I stick in my impressions.

It's not all sextuple overhead bluebird blower pow

Quote Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
    I’ll take hut trip reviews of any kind because it is a rare and precious sort of information. I’m in the beggars can’t be choosers camp on this one.

I’ve been guided by Arctos at Sorcerer and had a good experience. I think his information is worthwhile as he is a dedicated mountain traveller. I got the hut review digest from him and Zenith on that trip and committed it to memory!

For what it is worth, the fact that terrain at Sorcerer is shared with heli skiing never bothered me too much, or limited access to the terrain we wanted to ski the most. The lodge could have used some improvement at the time, so it’s good to hear that the expansion happened. There is the noise factor occasionally, which does affect the experience a little. I think the terrain there is very good.
    I think I have been to Sorcerer 8-10 times for skiing and only once did we cross paths with GCH skiers. We were going up Perfect valley to Hempalumps and I think they were coming down from their section of Prefect Glacier. They do have a pick up spot at the bottom of Prefect Valley but I'm pretty sure that was the first time I saw it used. Mind you 2 of those weeks GCH wasn't open yet.
    Last edited by DougW; 11-05-2023 at 05:10 PM.
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

Clearly folks will have their own opinions—I like skiing in smaller groups, love big alpine terrain and don’t like listening to helicopters while I tour. .
    If you don't like Helos flying you would hate Blanket Glacier , One day and I was only there of 4 it felt like you were Vietnam during the height of the war close to an air field. All day CMH was lapping with I don't know how many helos one slope that actually they shared with Blanket.
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

I think if shit goes sideways you will change your opinion of helo's in the air around your vaca cuz they will drop everything to be there tout suite to save your ass

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by DougW View Post
    If you don't like Helos flying you would hate Blanket Glacier , One day and I was only there of 4 it felt like you were Vietnam during the height of the war close to an air field. All day CMH was lapping with I don't know how many helos one slope that actually they shared with Blanket.
    the blanket was my introduction to bc hut trips Its definately gots the terrain

did 3 blanket trips back in the 00's
    only delt with the helis on 1
    They only really ski the alpine, blanket peak, big apple, hellen keller etc

they dont ski the killer tree runs of the monster, xmass, and its a good 4k down to greenbush lake if ya gots coverage

and the dont let em huck pillow meat right out the back door

they also couldnt toot suite bro outta the vortex crevasse and he gots to spend the night till the sar pros showed up the next morn to long line him out
    The choopin wood and crawling down the ladder into the creek every morning for water was kinda lame
    and Al never did much to improve the lodge
    cept the new drying room

glad we did one last trip in 16 before he turned it over to his son and they went 5 day guided only

doubt ill go back for that
    not a fan of either but not a lot of unguided options these days
    place definately has quality good varied terrain and tends gets good snow and the revelstoke lz is nice for pre post hut days

headed to the https://www.dezaikolodge.com/ in march
    anybody ever been?
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    IMG]
    [IMG]https://hosting.photobucket.comheaded to the https://www.dezaikolodge.com/ in march
    anybody ever been?
    yeah 4 or 5 times cuz Dezaiko is very close to Prince George where I was last living, it recently changed hands to another long time local ( carpenter/ guide ) who did a bunch of updates to the lodge,

500yr old balsams with some some good tree skiing

we would also ski up to " The Farm " all the time which was the next range over

it can get pretty cold up there so make sure to pack the long johns and bigger pufffy, altho this reminds me of the time there was a inversion at x-mas and it was above zero so also pack the skin wax
    Last edited by XXX-er; 12-11-2023 at 12:07 PM.

Hey Al, is "the farm" the hut you can access from the train? I thought I heard it called the McGregor hut at some point but this old drug addled brain is easily confused.

Always thought accessing a hut from a train (in Canada anyway) would be a very cool thing to do.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    the blanket was my introduction to bc hut trips Its definately gots the terrain

did 3 blanket trips back in the 00's
    only delt with the helis on 1
    They only really ski the alpine, blanket peak, big apple, hellen keller etc

they dont ski the killer tree runs of the monster, xmass, and its a good 4k down to greenbush lake if ya gots coverage

and the dont let em huck pillow meat right out the back door

they also couldnt toot suite bro outta the vortex crevasse and he gots to spend the night till the sar pros showed up the next morn to long line him out
    The choopin wood and crawling down the ladder into the creek every morning for water was kinda lame
    and Al never did much to improve the lodge
    cept the new drying room

glad we did one last trip in 16 before he turned it over to his son and they went 5 day guided only

doubt ill go back for that
    not a fan of either but not a lot of unguided options these days
    place definately has quality good varied terrain and tends gets good snow and the revelstoke lz is nice for pre post hut days

headed to the https://www.dezaikolodge.com/ in march
    anybody ever been?
    It's got a ton of terrain. A lot of N facing trees and interesting if a bit convoluted stuff.

Like xxx said pack extra clothing. It can be - 20 or colder and snowing heavily there. Super interesting range that's in most people's blind spot.

You'll love it. I hear the new owners are really good people

Ya Lee- Bryce is an old Nordic ski buddy of mine (on of the top Jr Biathletes in the country back in the day). He is one of the greatest humans I have ever had the privilege of knowing.

I had a chance to head out there this year but can’t make it happen. Super bummed.

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post
    Hey Al, is "the farm" the hut you can access from the train? I thought I heard it called the McGregor hut at some point but this old drug addled brain is easily confused.

Always thought accessing a hut from a train (in Canada anyway) would be a very cool thing to do.
    no " The Farm " is a hut accessed by parking at I think it was km 27 on the pass lake road and hiking up for 3+ hrs and it has always been a BC staple for PG folk. You can drive a little further up pass lake to get closer to Dezaiko, where they might land a helicopter but mostly they run Choppers out of an old farm on the banks of the fraser,

I could mention Dezaiko was originally built by George Evanoff so " George Evanoff park " was named after him. After Georges passing his son Craig Evanoff operated Dezaiko lodge, it was taken over a couple years ago and is now operated by Brice Cox another familiar name in the PG out door scene

On the RR thing you might be thinking of Red mountain and so for that hut you take the train or drive to Penny ( I think the mail still gets dropped by the RR ) and its about a 3-4 hr hike, I hiked in but did not ski Red mtn, as we were hiking out they were lining in a bunch of building materials to upgrade the Red hut which was really needed

Moosespit is or was involved with caretaking Red mtn hut, Moospit has probably forgotten more about that whole area than i can remember, also Duncan is one of them govy bio types that knows everything going on in the area

As Lee points out Dezaiko and this whole area is in a blind spot when it come to the BC skiing in BC

I never skied with him but I paddled a few time with Bryce, some of those nordic racers made the jump to BC skiing in this area, those guys have BIG motors on the skin track and i would bet bryce is one of them

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    it looks like we have one extra spot flying in the week of march 9th
    if anybody wants to go hit me up
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

the reason i say good tree skiing thru 500 yr old balsams is cuz thats one of the guys we skied with told us

a retired VP at one of the big lumber outfits, the joke was buddy couldn't see the forest for the 2x4's

Dezaiko cooks with propane and flys in a little fire wood for the heat & ambience the food was awesume but of course it will be a different cook