Help me help a newbie

The daughter of a friend just got a season pass- Maine, and will have her first real season after going a few times a year for a few years. Maine.
    14, 5'6" maybe 105-110.
    She is fit with good balance (XC skier), a fast learner, not aggressive .

Looking for gear advice.

Weekend/holiday skier. So, all conditions with half the day on skied out hard snow.

Boots. Kind of an easy one. Her feet are probably done growing. Go to a bootfitter near where she will be skiing. Not the place to spend money.

Skis- I am thinking rocker/camber/rocker, 85-90 underfoot, maybe 160? Will 90 underfoot hamper her ability to learn how to edge on hard snow? She should be skiing trees this season, will probably not ski groomers fast.

Also- She will be staying with us sometimes, that means BC, if she has the gear. We have plenty of loaners, but my wife skis in the 170 range. Dog walks at my house are frequently out the back door into the woods.

Maybe something like a Mindbender 85, Marker F10, and whatever 90ish flex boot fits?

Don't know the Mindbender but the Ripstick 94 gets a lot of love from the ladies here in VT. Relatively light, easy to ski trees, not horrible on hard snow. Also could go down to the Ripstick 86/88 (can't remember what the width is these days). My wife is on the 86 and she loves them. They ski short.

I threw the mindbender out kind of randomly as a do all ski.
    Ripstick might not be a bad idea. I know patrollers on them in most conditions.

My local shop has loads of mindbender team boots for sale for 350 a set. 100mm last, I think they are a 80 or 90 flex, hike mode and tech insets.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

Id find a good shop with some good demos and have her learn the first few times on a demo ski that’s a beginner to intermediate women’s ski, and then use the demo money to get a pair that she will like after skiing a few times. Ya it blows to pay 50 a day or what ever on a demo but if it’s coming off the new pair of skis that she will be buying it’s not bad, and she will also know what she can flex and more about what she wants. I’ve never had good luck buying skis for women based on anything I think they will like. That’s just my two cents.

don't overthink instead of wasting money on " the ski "

instead buy something used in the ballpark of what will probaly fit her possibly with touring capable bindings and skins and get skiing
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

FYI Corbetts has 2022 Marker F12 (110 brakes) on clearance for $288CDN. In US pesos, that's $213. Have both S and L sizes.

ETA: They also have the F10 (2021 model, 100 brakes) for $252CDN. That's only $186USD. F10 only comes in S nowadays...
    Last edited by MyNameIsAugustWest; 08-18-2023 at 05:26 AM.

Get boots that fit.

Then. Get midget skis for cheap used.

Quote Originally Posted by HHTELE View Post
    Boots. Kind of an easy one. Her feet are probably done growing. Go to a bootfitter near where she will be skiing. Not the place to spend money.

Wut? You want to cheap out on the newbies boots, but spend a bunch on skis and bindings?

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    Wut? You want to cheap out on the newbies boots, but spend a bunch on skis and bindings?
    I'm thinking it's a typo and he meant "not the place to SAVE money."

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Get boots that fit.

Then. Get midget skis for cheap used.
    This. 100mm last boots seems way too roomy for most teenage girls

Quote Originally Posted by jlboyell View Post
    Climate change deniers should be in the same boat as the flat earthers, ridiculed for stupidity.

That's the plan.
    Least important is the ski. I just don't want to hamper her learning.

Nope.
    That should have been Not the place so SAVE money.

MB85/F10 would be a great set up especially if she wants to do some tours.

I would spend sometime at a local ski shop to find boots

Also the Line Pandora 84 could be good as well as the ripstick 88 also mentioned