Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Japan 23/24 Season

Not super fancy but food is good and far enough away from the main pocket of town it’s not as busy. still best to get a reservation

Niseko Yakiniku Japanese BBQ

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jan_7_2024_8_13_51.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	160.6 KB 
ID:	481834

Flanks of Yotei yesterday - quite soft, still more blue sky than preferred...
    a witty saying proves nothing
    voltaire

Japan 23/24 Season

It seems the Niseko area is still low-tide (by Japanese standards), but we just picked up about 1.5 feet in the last three days, and forecast for a steady trickle of 4-6 in each day for the foreseeable forecast.

Current base is greater than 2m in Niseko area, and growing by the day.

Reports from Central Hokkaido are similar, can confirm Kiroro and Kokusai not ready for much BC access as of five days ago. Could be changing rapidly.

Name:	IMG_6336.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	481920

Name:	IMG_6338.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	481921

Name:	IMG_6355.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	481922

Name:	IMG_6340.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	1.46 MB 
ID:	481923

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERIOR View Post

Name:	IMG_6355.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	481922
    Concur, Rusutsu still has a lot of head high sasa. Dumping all day today, though.

Love those vector glides, been seeing a bunch of them.
    voltaire

Ghost trains have landed. T minus 1 week til they take to the mountains so pls le tits now

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERIOR View Post

Name:	IMG_6338.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	481921
    Loved that zone last year… even got some 8’s in the trees

Name:	DSC01640.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	603.7 KB 
ID:	481930

Name:	DSC01644.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	735.1 KB 
ID:	481931

Snow machine turned on. Rusutsu reporting 60cm, our local friend thinks more like a meter since yesterday afternoon. Delayed opening because they haven't cleared the access road or parking lot.

Had an incredible, fancy meal on a back road last night, followed by 4 hours of shoveling with my avy shovel to clear waist high drifts on the road back to the main drag. Even got a few japanese policemen to help push us in reverse up the last 50 meters of hill. Good times.
    voltaire

Best way to get skis from the states to hakuba valley area? Going on a 2 week trip to Japan and skiing for ~3 days. Don’t want to pack skis around but also can’t wait around for skiing with such a short ski window.

Plan right now is to fly them as normal ski baggage and then ship them from the airport. Sounds like this works pretty well
    I’ve also heard of ship skis but not sure if that’s international. Other options?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by PeachesNCream View Post
    Best way to get skis from the states to hakuba valley area? Going on a 2 week trip to Japan and skiing for ~3 days. Don’t want to pack skis around but also can’t wait around for skiing with such a short ski window.

Plan right now is to fly them as normal ski baggage and then ship them from the airport. Sounds like this works pretty well
    I’ve also heard of ship skis but not sure if that’s international. Other options?

Black Cat (Takkyubin, Ta-Q-Bin) will get them wherever you need them to be reliably and fast.

What are the conditions like in Hakuba this season? Have a trip in late Jan and was planning Hakuba. But, if the conditions are not looking great, I might start making some alternative plans further north.

Red indicates W24 snowfalls, Sunday to Monday is a new single-day record for recent years (other colors)

ATTACH]482099[/ATTACH]

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by boltonoutlaw View Post
    Red indicates W24 snowfalls, Sunday to Monday is a new single-day record for recent years (other colors)

ATTACH]482099[/ATTACH]

Rusutsu? Seems accurate. Local guide friend thought it was the best day in several years...

Many face shots, sasa not so problematic when it's hero snow.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1265.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	680.0 KB 
ID:	482104

Name:	IMG_1280.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	499.0 KB 
ID:	482103
    voltaire

https://hokkaidowilds.org/ski-tourin...iki-onsen-loop

Going to do this tour while out there. Any other onsen recommendations in the niseko area?

Quote Originally Posted by mattrwills View Post
    What are the conditions like in Hakuba this season? Have a trip in late Jan and was planning Hakuba. But, if the conditions are not looking great, I might start making some alternative plans further north.
    Hakuba is well below normal but catching up rapidly. Due to the holiday weekend I caught yesterday's storm in Myoko instead of Hakuba but the trees are finally starting to fill in well enough to ski. Still needs another meter or so to really bury everything but it's getting close. End of January should be fine, though of course some sustained rain could always show up and ruin plans.
    God created skis and surfboards to keep the truly gifted from ruling the world.

Quote Originally Posted by KillerMonkey View Post
    https://hokkaidowilds.org/ski-tourin...iki-onsen-loop

Going to do this tour while out there. Any other onsen recommendations in the niseko area?
    Goshiki has been my favorite, location is awesome. Also dug Makkari for Yotei views (if it's not socked in, which it usually is) and Kyogoku for community center vibes and onsen admission plus ramen or soba lunch for 1000 yen. Best deal ever.
    voltaire

Hokky Pow Maggot Roll Call 17Jan-6 Feb ?

Just sending this out to see who else might be interested in coordination for exploring. This will be my 8th trip, and I spend 3+ weeks.

Met up with a Maggot last year and was great to have a partner for exploring out the gates and BC. Will be meeting up with Bobinch, but lets see who is also out there. And anyone with wheels makes it possible for Yotei, Rusutsu, etc exploring.

My schedule:
    Jan 17-25 Niseko - OAC lodge
    Jan 26-30 Tomamu - Petit Hotel Gracey
    Jan 31-Feb 2 Kamifurano - Frontier Furanui - take local bus up/down for skiing Tokachi Range
    Feb 3-6 Ryounkaku ! Tokachi BC right out the door...

62CM today at Niseko and more on the way - some of the best base in the world right now as well.... Yah, JaPow !

Tried searching the other threads but have struck out. What is the etiquette on tipping ski guides in Japan? Normal North American procedure or is it considered offensive? Seeing conflicting reports elsewhere.

Please tip the ski guides. Most are international guides who make money on tips, and the young Japanese guides are very happy to take tips as well.

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    Black Cat (Takkyubin, Ta-Q-Bin) will get them wherever you need them to be reliably and fast.
    Thanks, will be going that route.

One more question. Deciding on which skis to bring, in Habuka valley, is terrain more wide open or in the trees?

Is it worth bringing a low tide pair of skis?

Trip is early next week

I'm landing in Hokkaido on Monday! These latest photos have me stoked! Going to spend a couple days based out of Otaru, then following the snow forecast.

2 weeks from today! Hope the pattern holds

On tipping... How much would you tip guides in Japan, for a week-long guided trip?

Headed to Hokkaido 18-24.

Niseko 18-20
    Furano 21-23

Extremely stoked.

One question on the transfer of the bag, I have a 205cm long bag. I read back in the thread that it may be too big. Anybody confirm that?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC View Post
    Super helpful...thanks! Any idea where to get the map stateside (amazon has it sold out)?

Lift served backcountry with a side trip to an onsen? Sign me up! Two weeks out...
    Oh dang, they were in stock a few days ago. Lemme ask Chris/Rob.
    ROBOTS ARE EATING MY FACE.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtlange View Post
    Headed to Hokkaido 18-24.

Niseko 18-20
    Furano 21-23

Extremely stoked.

One question on the transfer of the bag, I have a 205cm long bag. I read back in the thread that it may be too big. Anybody confirm that?
    They took my 200cm bag no issue