Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: 90's Freeskiing

90's Freeskiing

I was riding up the lift the other day while doing solo hot laps and overheard a conversation between very young 20-something year olds about how more people are skiing the last few years because the recent freestyle movements. I mentioned how cool the 90's were and they laughed at me. They were born in 2002. So I suggested to look up the Canadian Air Force. the whole thing got me thinking about how much fun that time was for skiing and more personally being a ski bum.

A lot happened in that decade or era of skiing. Was it as cool as I think it was or am I becoming a grumpy old man?

The FIS taking over the FWT was another thing that had me pondering on things as well. Didn't Shane start that whole medium to set themselves apart form traditional ski competitions and the FIS?

Anyways. What did you love about skiing and the 90's? Thanks for playing.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

90s were magic.

Skis got fat.
    Crowds were minimal.
    Compared to today.
    Skiing went next level.
    Tickets could be clipped.

And yet. I have watched videos and looked at trail maps from late 1960 and early 1970 at JH and I’m jealous. Yeah. Skinny skis and jet turns. But that looked like fun also.

It’s all relative. Just ski and have fun.

The crowds and the cost are annoying. That’s what I hate most.

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    not necessarily the 'free ski' movement, but Scot Schmidt signed the hood of my beater subaru. I thought that was cool.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1670729084.649262.jpg 
Views:	288 
Size:	365.4 KB 
ID:	437784

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DtNyu0Wdurs

Captures the vibe of the time.
    Great ski movie
    "If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough."

1999 and Global Storming were like the children of Blizzard of Aaaahhhss. Really kicked off the modern era. So much fun.

What a fun time the late nineties were. People still skied bumps, and they also got out on fatties and tore up huge lines.

It was c00ler than anything and yes, I'm a grumpy old man.
    Coombs, Seth, McConkey, Gaffneys.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post

I had those with tele bindings...

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    It was c00ler than anything and yes, I'm a grumpy old man.
    Coombs, Seth, McConkey, Gaffneys.
    Yep

1990 was the first year that I skied, so clearly it was the best decade. Now is cool too. Skiing is fun. Kids are ignorant. Hopefully they'll check out the CAF. s'aight.

I've got a pair of 202 Force9s that get a spin at least once a season. Some 207 Rossi SM Comps as well.
    ((. The joy I get from skiing...
    .))
    ((. That's worth living for.
    .))

Quote Originally Posted by thefrush View Post

I've got a pair of 202 Force9s that get a spin at least once a season.
    Don’t you mean PR 8’s?

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    .... the whole thing got me thinking about how much fun that time was for skiing and more personally being a ski bum.

A lot happened in that decade or era of skiing. Was it as cool as I think it was or am I becoming a grumpy old man? ....

....Anyways. What did you love about skiing and the 90's? Thanks for playing.
    You're on to something. My too-brief ski bumming period was mid to late nineties and I tend to agree with your basic thesis. The ohs produced some great ski movies that might have gotten more attention than what was out there in the nineties maybe? Is that when the co-opting kicked in? I don't know. My first kid came in 2002 and everything after that is blurry.
    Last edited by Brownski; 12-11-2022 at 01:08 PM.

90's Freeskiing

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post

Continuing on with the gear theme, we started the 90’s with K2 Extremes, Salomon Force 9’s and finally getting away from either a slalom or GS ski. We picked up shape skis along the way. Towards the end of the decade we get midfats, “fat” skis, and twin tips like the Teneighty. It’s the decade skiing went on life support and then sprang back to life with a vengeance.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Hugo Harrison

Jeff Holden and The Jaffros.

skiing wasn’t on life support, that’s just what city folks keep regurgitating.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    Continuing on with the gear theme, we started the 90’s with K2 Extremes, Salomon Force 9’s and finally getting away from either a slalom or GS ski. We picked up shape skis along the way. Towards the end of the decade we get midfats, “fat” skis, and twin tips like the Teneighty. It’s the decade skiing went on life support and then sprang back to life with a vengeance.

70s were just as magic as the 80s and the 90s... until shaped skis and too much grooming ruined everything..

Name:	st,small,845x845-pad,1000x1000,f8f8f8.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	69.5 KB 
ID:	437925
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

What was great about most of the 90’s was no phat skis, or almost none. There were the Miller softs, Rossi haute route ski and a few others. When ever there was a big dump only the locals that were pretty much from there had the technique to ski 30inches of fresh. Would ride the lift occasionally seeing folks looking for lost skis in the deep snow. I remember trying to get friends from back east to ski OB for powder, but all they wanted was to ski the bumps. Those were the days.

Anyways ‘ What did you love about skiing and the 90's? Thanks for playing.’ ]

I mentioned how cool the 90's were .......
    and how much fun that time was for skiing and more personally being a ski bum.

Was it as cool as I think it was or am I becoming a grumpy old man?
    You should have been ski bumming with me in the 70's.
    Now THOSE were the days.
    Signed: Grumpier and older.

P.S. High speed quads and fat skis ruined skiing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudimatt7 View Post
    skiing wasn’t on life support, that’s just what city folks keep regurgitating.
    Maybe you’re kinda right? It’s when all the non-mountain based shops started closing since everyone moved to snowboarding. And in a weird way, snowboarding saved skiing. And it you cannot see that connection, then we agree to disagree.

I was riding up the lift the other day while doing solo hot laps and overheard a conversation between very young 20-something year olds about how more people are skiing the last few years because the recent freestyle movements. I mentioned how cool the 90's were and they laughed at me. They were born in 2002. So I suggested to look up the Canadian Air Force. the whole thing got me thinking about how much fun that time was for skiing and more personally being a ski bum.

A lot happened in that decade or era of skiing. Was it as cool as I think it was or am I becoming a grumpy old man?

The FIS taking over the FWT was another thing that had me pondering on things as well. Didn't Shane start that whole medium to set themselves apart form traditional ski competitions and the FIS?

Anyways. What did you love about skiing and the 90's? Thanks for playing.
    I loved the day glow outerwear that was NOT even remotely water-repellent it just bled all that neon color onto whatever you were wearing underneath. The Oakley Iridium sunglass lenses.

Skis that made you work to turn in crud and powder, not everyone and their cousin rallying rockered reverse sidecut skis attempting to know what to do in deep snow.

The 90's also started me on the idea of ski touring, getting out from inside the boundaries of the resort ropes, ducking ropes and not getting lost because I could read maps (amazes me how few people actually know how to read a map and not completely rely on GPS to tell you where you are at)

$17 morning half day lift tickets at Alta.

Quote Originally Posted by One (+) Sentence View Post
    $17 morning half day lift tickets at Alta.
    Skied Alta for the first time in 1991. Paid $22 for a full day.

One ride tickets FTW!
    dirtbag, not a dentist