Page 21 of 39 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    From their instagram on Wednesday

To me, that says beyond July 4th
    I'm going to book a campsite for mid July and hopefully the hill is open, and if it's not, hopefully I can tour, and if i can't, I'm sure I'll find other things to do. My SoCal family loves Mammoth so I'm sure it won't involve too much arm twisting to get them to come hang with us. Thank you for the prognostication regarding the season extension etc.

What campground would you gentlemen reccommend? The Lake Mary and Lake George campgroundsand that area seem to be the hot commodities from what I can tell.

I like Old Shady Rest
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Old shady is nice. It's in town so you can access everything easily.

This summer will be Minnesota like with mosquitoes. I would stay away from the lakes basin.

Quote Originally Posted by Angle Parking View Post
    I'm going to book a campsite for mid July and hopefully the hill is open, and if it's not, hopefully I can tour, and if i can't, I'm sure I'll find other things to do. My SoCal family loves Mammoth so I'm sure it won't involve too much arm twisting to get them to come hang with us. Thank you for the prognostication regarding the season extension etc.

What campground would you gentlemen reccommend? The Lake Mary and Lake George campgroundsand that area seem to be the hot commodities from what I can tell.
    It will be 100+ degrees in the valley and cool in the shade at 9K'. It's such an awesome time to ride bikes and this year there'll be many chances to ski AM and bike PM.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

I grew up summer camping at old shady rest and I have a hard time even considering camp grounds elsewhere in mammoth but it’s pretty beat after all these years and even new shady rest which isn’t very new at all anymore has better bathrooms. Same same but different. I loved being able to walk over to the nightly ranger programs, but I think those aren’t so frequent anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Pinned View Post
    They've diverted all the power directly to the grills because Mammoth hates skiing. All the grooming crew and patrol are manning their spatulas. Chase is fuming, the burgers are steaming hot.

But seriously, big thanks to everyone working at Mammoth. Looks like an incredible amount of work just to keep things running lately.
    Exactly this. Things are fucking spicy in town right now. Friend of friend manages dozens of rentals and says she is dealing with everything from broken windows to leaks and busted roofs. Heard a plow in Tahoe hit a propane tank and it went off and fucked up a few houses. Wild times in the Sierras...

Sierra….

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    Sierra….
    Nailed it.

^^thank you

Sierra….
    Thank you for your service Scrabble police.

Howard's new forecast calling for some sort of AR event on deck into next week but it looks like freezing levels could be MUCH higher so the days of skiing cold smoke at Mammoth are probably gone...

split kook!

Shit, last year I had an Air B&B for the month of March with 0 snowfall, so I skipped renting it again. What a Maroon...

Name:  Screenshot 2023-03-06 163029.png
Views: 1314
Size:  36.7 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Sierra….
    Bless you.

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    I grew up summer camping at old shady rest and I have a hard time even considering camp grounds elsewhere in mammoth but it’s pretty beat after all these years and even new shady rest which isn’t very new at all anymore has better bathrooms. Same same but different. I loved being able to walk over to the nightly ranger programs, but I think those aren’t so frequent anymore
    Booked a week at New Shady starting July 9th. Thx for the beta.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

It's a mess. You can't get here.

395 closed from Personville north. CHP app has police reports of 3+ feet of water over 395 on way up. What a mess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shady Rest seems like a good cal for this season in July. One of the most likey to be clear of snow. Lake Basin campgrounds likely will still have a snowpack at them.

It will be mid to late July for much of the bike park to open. I rode there this past year in late June and they only had lower mountain and road shuttle open. Even had the top portion closed between Main and Stump.

They have to wait for the snow to melt and then do trail work before they open. I’d expect limited bike park Ops until late August or September this year.

If any mags is looking for a summer gig slinging pizza in June Lake, lemme know

Sent from my SM-G998U using TGR Forums mobile app

We did a quick trip midweek, skiing Wednesday and Thursday.

Wednesday was nice, although they closed 22 after we got there. The rest of the time was just lapping the lower stuff in the snow.

Thursday ended up being lots of fun. The snow that fell, while only a few inches, combined with the wind to make some pretty classic buff on chair 22. We started out the day with some chair 5 laps, which were fun, then headed to the top just as they shut it. With the top shut we lapped avy 3 for the rest of the day, and it was nuts. The skier's right section just kept replenishing. There was probably nice snow in the other avy chutes, but we just couldn't leave avy 3. The skier's left section was about as hero buff as hero buff gets.

Here are a couple of avy 3 lines and a few turns from chair 5.

"Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Avy 1 was fantastic Thursday

Quote Originally Posted by ClockworkPomegranate View Post
    Avy 1 was fantastic Thursday
    I bet it was. I also saw people coming out of avy 2 spraying lots of smoke in the bottom section. We were just having so much fun in avy 3 it was tough to leave.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

What time does Mammoth roll the lifts in the spring--8:30 or do they start earlier?

Later on as spring conditions progress you will see them start opening the lifts at I believe 7:30 a.m. until about 2:00 p.m.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Later on as spring conditions progress you will see them start opening the lifts at I believe 7:30 a.m. until about 2:00 p.m.
    Thank you! I thought that was the case but wasn't sure.

I'll be in the area in mid-May. When the plan was initially hatched, I was worried about coverage. Now I'm worried roads won't be plowed for touring.