Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    R99 50/50’s were on the porch last night when I got home. Beautiful skis, great fit and finish, nice structure to the base, but damn do the 188’s look huge.

Marshall, I was on the fence about whether I could handle a ski this long, at 5’9” and 175 lb. I usually migrate to a 180 cm in a traditional camber ski. 2nd gen LPR’s in a 176 seem to fit fine although I do remember mounting them a bit back. Would you put Kimgpins on the line to start?

My AM 50/50 R99 in 188 arrived last evening. Absolutely beautiful skis. Perfect grind, polished edges, chamfered top sheet. Now, the question is Tectons or STH?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by lowsparkco View Post
    R99 50/50’s were on the porch last night when I got home. Beautiful skis, great fit and finish, nice structure to the base, but damn do the 188’s look huge.

Marshall, I was on the fence about whether I could handle a ski this long, at 5’9” and 175 lb. I usually migrate to a 180 cm in a traditional camber ski. 2nd gen LPR’s in a 176 seem to fit fine although I do remember mounting them a bit back. Would you put Kimgpins on the line to start?
    well, firstly... i'd say mount them up and give 'em a go. if you need the 180's, just let me know and we can sort out getting them swapped for you.

Regarding mounts:
    The factory midsole line is -11cm on the R120 and -11.5 on the R99

@lowspark, what boots are you in, and what size? I'd say to go a little forward, but curious about those specs, and can give something firm!

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    My AM 50/50 R99 in 188 arrived last evening. Absolutely beautiful skis. Perfect grind, polished edges, chamfered top sheet. Now, the question is Tectons or STH?

Sth. Unless you walk for firm snow. This ski wants a dedicated alpine binder. It want’s to go fast and lay trenches.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Sth. Unless you walk for firm snow. This ski wants a dedicated alpine binder. It want’s to go fast and lay trenches.
    Totally agree, but just to add, I do think the AM build, and specifically the R99 and R120, makes for amazing travel skis, where its harder to know what snow you might encounter and tour vs lifts may change depending on trip/waether/etc. In that use-case, a tecton/shift/etc makes tons of sense, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshal Olson View Post
    Totally agree, but just to add, I do think the AM build, and specifically the R99 and R120, makes for amazing travel skis, where its harder to know what snow you might encounter and tour vs lifts may change depending on trip/waether/etc. In that use-case, a tecton/shift/etc makes tons of sense, IMO.
    Agreed, my travel ski is 106-108 underfoot tho. This ski, for me, is a firm snow ski. CAST ftw! Just not a fan of tecton/shift etc.

Ok, found a slice of time to review.

I skied the 188cm R99 AM for a couple days at Bridger Bowl. Conditions were chalk bumps/chutes and groomers... not super diverse but pretty much what I want the r99 to slay as my narrowest modern ski. It will replace my OG 194cm LPR, Stockli Asteroid 186, and ON3P Tychoon 186cm in this general realm.

I have these mounted on the line with Pivots and wore Lange XT3 140LV w/ PowerWraps... a fairly upright rig that matches angles across all my skis. I'm 74 inches tall and 190 lbs, with long tibias but also long torso.

I didn't quite expect it going into this experiment, but these really reminded me of the Tychoon. They are very close in length, radius, dimensions, mount point, and tip/tail shape. R99 a little stiffer and more precise, but less damp than the bamboo.

I found the r99 to be very quick with this core and mount point, almost moreso than I want... but the heavier/stiffer build will pretty much nail it I think. I may move back a tad on those anyway, maybe 7mm from the line.

As 2Funky noted, at higher edge angles the tip wants to pull into the turn. A decent detune eased this, but the tip of the AM flexes enough still that it is evident with moderate shin pressure.

But this quality also makes them dead easy to ski, with only a little angulation required to engage the carve, or back off the angle slightly and they'll skid. Very intuitive and versatile for 2D snow. I skied flat groomers with my 6 year old and never felt uncomfortable with slow skidding.

The groomer performance is outstanding. They are laser-precise and will return a ton of energy from the turn. I leaned into the hardest carves that I could at like 45mph and they were quite steady, quick to move to the other edge, and just an absolute gas. A tad bit of tip movement and a just a hair livelier than I'm after, but again, the maple core will be the 6th gear fkn missile-matic for the bigger/stronger folk. Most will find the AM a really nicely balanced ski.

I really like the tip profile. It fits perfectly into bump troughs and lets you sort of slide off the side, rather than hook up like a completely-traditionally-cambered ski of this length otherwise would.

Bravo on making these. They are a hoot, beautifully designed and made, and impeccably tuned.
    Last edited by Norseman; 12-22-2022 at 05:56 PM.

STH it is

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post

I skied the 188cm R99 AM for a couple days at Bridger Bowl. Conditions were chalk bumps/chutes and groomers... not super diverse but pretty much what I want the r99 to slay as my narrowest modern ski. It will replace my OG 194cm LPR, Stockli Asteroid 186, and ON3P Tychoon 186cm in this general realm.

I have these mounted on the line with Pivots and wore Lange XT3 140LV w/ PowerWraps... a fairly upright rig that matches angles across all my skis. I'm 74 inches tall and 190 lbs, with long tibias but also long torso.

I didn't quite expect it going into this experiment, but these really reminded me of the Tychoon. They are very close in length, radius, dimensions, mount point, and tip/tail shape. R99 a little stiffer and more precise, but less damp than the bamboo.

I found the r99 to be very quick with this core and mount point, almost moreso than I want... but the heavier/stiffer build will pretty much nail it I think. I may move back a tad on those anyway, maybe 7mm from the line.

As 2Funky noted, at higher edge angles the tip wants to pull into the turn. A decent detune eased this, but the tip of the AM flexes enough still that it is evident with moderate shin pressure.

But this quality also makes them dead easy to ski, with only a little angulation required to engage the carve, or back off the angle slightly and they'll skid. Very intuitive and versatile for 2D snow. I skied flat groomers with my 6 year old and never felt uncomfortable with slow skidding.

The groomer performance is outstanding. They are laser-precise and will return a ton of energy from the turn. I leaned into the hardest carves that I could at like 45mph and they were quite steady, quick to move to the other edge, and just an absolute gas. A tad bit of tip movement and a just a hair livelier than I'm after, but again, the maple core will be the 6th gear fkn missile-matic for the bigger/stronger folk. Most will find the AM a really nicely balanced ski.

I really like the tip profile. It fits perfectly into bump troughs and lets you sort of slide off the side, rather than hook up like a completely-traditionally-cambered ski of this length otherwise would.

Bravo on making these. They are a hoot, beautifully designed and made, and impeccably tuned.
    Excellent, thanks for that and was chewing nails waiting for your review. Figured yours would echo some of my review as well.

well, firstly... i'd say mount them up and give 'em a go. if you need the 180's, just let me know and we can sort out getting them swapped for you.

Regarding mounts:
    The factory midsole line is -11cm on the R120 and -11.5 on the R99

@lowspark, what boots are you in, and what size? I'd say to go a little forward, but curious about those specs, and can give something firm!
    Thanks for the reply and the offer to help.

I am on old BD Factor 130’s. I’m a 27.5 in most boots, bsl 318 mm on the Factors. Not impossible that I would ski them with the Maestrale RS at 314 mm.

Edit: standing on them in socks I would put them at -5 behind the line.

Also, love the tail protector built into the layup.
    Last edited by lowsparkco; 12-23-2022 at 05:27 PM.

Have had a few days on my 180 R99 50/50s out at Eldora.

Wanted these skis as a frontside, no new snow ski for Colorado. Needed to be able to handle bad snow, bumps, tight trees, groomers, etc.

I'm 6' and 155 lbs, strong skier. Generally I'm on skis with a bit more progressive mount point (corvus, BGs), but I wanted something with a traditional mount point for this quiver spot. These are also the narrowest skis I have been on in a long time.

Big thumbs up from me so far, they feel like exactly what I'm looking for. Smooth and powerful on the groomed, but light enough to be quick in tight spots. At 155 lbs, I am happy I went with the 50/50 build. They feel extremely precise, but still powerful. Great edge hold on ice, but can still turn them sideways when needed. I haven't reached their speed limit yet either.

Agree with Norseman on their versatility as well. Carve to slarve/skid is dead easy.

Looking forward to getting them into some more varied terrain, and plan on seeing how they handle days 3-4 post storm. Will report back!

Heritage Lab Skis - AM 50/50 Skis Have Arrived - Dedicated Thread

Telemark review coming of the 180 AM 50/50 99s in time. I know you are all on the edge of your seats. Finally mounted them today (along w some Wren 102s). Should be an interesting comparison.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4293.JPG 
Views:	136 
Size:	164.2 KB 
ID:	439803
    Uno mas

Quote Originally Posted by Doremite View Post
    Telemark review coming of the 180 AM 50/50 99s in time. I know you are all on the edge of your seats. Finally mounted them today (along w some Wren 102s). Should be an interesting comparison.

Name:	Image1671924918.694158.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	978.3 KB 
ID:	439820

Got my R99 188 50/50s yesterday. 6’2” 190lbs. Hoping to get them mounted up soon. Quality looking build out of the box. Will update once I get them out on snow.

Couldn't handle the FOMO so grabbed a pair of the AM99s to go along with Comp87s

I'll be interested to hear it, this is my fourth season with Wrenegade 96s as my low tide ski and they have never had great edge hold since day one, no matter what I do with the tune. It's usually fine because I avoid groomers like the plague but I have been longing for a bit more edge hold in sketchy conditions. Overall I love the wren shape, but have been both of these skis as a replacement.

Where’s all the R87 stoke?

Quote Originally Posted by TeleBeaver View Post
    I'll be interested to hear it, this is my fourth season with Wrenegade 96s as my low tide ski and they have never had great edge hold since day one, no matter what I do with the tune. It's usually fine because I avoid groomers like the plague but I have been longing for a bit more edge hold in sketchy conditions. Overall I love the wren shape, but have been both of these skis as a replacement.
    Agree. Wren 98 and 96 in the quiver as well and also find them to ski pretty loose. I tend to skid my turns anyway so don’t really care but have some Cassair 85s for when things really firm up. Much better edge hold in comparison. I am expecting the AM 99s to have a bit more grip but drift when I need them to. Stoked to try them but coming off some heavy rain here in the east so expecting Cassair conditions for a bit unfortunately.
    Uno mas

Agree. Wren 98 and 96 in the quiver as well and also find them to ski pretty loose. I tend to skid my turns anyway so don’t really care but have some Cassair 85s for when things really firm up. Much better edge hold in comparison. I am expecting the AM 99s to have a bit more grip but drift when I need them to. Stoked to try them but coming off some heavy rain here in the east so expecting Cassair conditions for a bit unfortunately.
    Yeah I am also a tele drifter which is why I have lasted so long on these skis despite their shortcomings on true hardpack. Skiing in Utah might also have something to do with it. Back home at Sugarloaf the wrens would definitely not cut it. I am tempted by the 188 comp build but the AM might be all I need. Good luck with the ice, look forward to your review.

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    Where’s all the R87 stoke?

I think the original plan was for each ski to have a thread once they started shipping. See the beginning of the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by ASP View Post
    Couldn't handle the FOMO so grabbed a pair of the AM99s to go along with Comp87s
    Nice! Interested to hear your thoughts once they get to you.

Ok... so here is a little more of my thinking.

For you, I feel like the 180R99Comp will feel like a rally car. Very Fast. Very Responsive. A little loose in a straight line, but super quick to pivot and drift.

Compare that to the 188R99AM, which I think for you will feel like a luxury SUV (Porsche Cayanne or something). Still super fast, but a different ride. Smoother, less demanding, fast as crap in a straight line, but doesn't have the top end of a sports car, and is a little more cumbersome in a slalom due to longer wheelbase and suspension.

The Wren (and the 188R99Comp for example), is like a ferrari. Silly to drive at less than 100mph, stiff ride, hard to handle unless you have the right terrain and are stoked to put in alot of input, but so so soo rewarding when it clicks for you.

I would think of the 188 R99 to ski less demanding (ie more fun at normal speeds) than the 189 Wren, but not really shorter per-se, as you are still pushing around 188cm of snow either way (ie wheelbase in analogy above). The 188R99 is going to be about 2cm shorter in real life, but it's also less rockered at the ends, so .... easier to bend and make turn, but not that different in physical dimensions either.

No idea if those analogies are helpful, so LMK if not! haha.
    As a Porschephile, I'm smellin' what you're cookin'.

I'm still thinking that 88 AM might be my jam and here's why; I think I'm looking for a ski that has a backbone while still being fun. I also realize that "fun" is an entirely subjective descriptor that usually gets associated to skis with big rocker and/or twin-tips. I tend to think of a ski that's full of energy, that can rail in low tide conditions, and still provide some amusement in either low angle or wind-blown chalk as fun. I also recognize that sometime 'fun' and 'charge' can't always coexist easily. And if forced to choose; I'd go with more charge than a fun-shape.

All of that is a long of saying that I'm after a Moment Tahoe with more backbone and the R99 is close, albeit absent of any rocker.

Of course, the easiest thing would be to get a few laps on these skis.

Quote Originally Posted by Full Trucker View Post
    These showed up on the porch a bit ago... now just waiting on a pair of Shifts I bought from SupreChicken to arrive.

Attachment 439274

Thanks for the info @singlecross!
    I love that color. I’d totally rock it.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post

YES! Love the beta. We're about the same size and similar setups, so this very helpful. Thank you.

They sound like what I'm after; a low-tide ski for out west that willingly rips groomers, but will certainly return a high fun factor in cold snow, cut up off-piste, and wind-loaded stashes.

I've had a few more days on my 188 R99s at Squaw and out in UT and they continue to put a smile on my face. Great on groomers, predictable in variable snow and crud/chalk, and a safe ski to bring out on any day with no new snow or new terrain opening. I skied them back to back with some 175 GS race skis and the edge hold was the same, only the turning radius, edge to edge time (due to ski width) and chatter at high speed were noticeably different. The R99s were also significantly easier on my legs of course given the much wider sweet spot.
    Three fundamentals of every extreme skier, total disregard for personal saftey, amphetamines, and lots and lots of malt liquor......-jack handy

Love what you're doing here. Getting back into skiing after quite a hiatus. The R87 looks right up my alley for garbage east coast conditions following my toddler around the mountain.

Heritage Lab Skis - AM 50/50 Skis Have Arrived - Dedicated Thread

Quote Originally Posted by couloirman View Post
    Love what you're doing here. Getting back into skiing after quite a hiatus. The R87 looks right up my alley for garbage east coast conditions following my toddler around the mountain.
    How old is your toddler? They are top sheet destroyers until the age of ~7.
    Uno mas