Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mb7cbc View Post
    Dynafit Ridge Pro Boot now available for preorder at Skimoco. Available starting mid-Jan for $899.99.
    No 25s, wtf

How do Dynafit fit relative to other brands?

Thinking of preordering those Ridge Pros but unclear on what size to order...
    For Sale:

If you're in the Northeast and would like to borrow some Jigarex Plates I have:

Rossi/Look plates
    Salomon Warden 13 plates
    Marker Kingpin Plates

Quote Originally Posted by nyskirat View Post

from everything I've heard the hojis and radicals fit radically different, I haven't heard much on the ridge fit yet but they look sweet!

Obviously I don't have the boot on hand, but it'll probably be similar to the Radical Pro - wider forefoot and medium instep, true to size, maybe a few mm shorter. I'll report back once they're in stock and I can get my feet in them in 2024.

Quote Originally Posted by mb7cbc View Post
    Obviously I don't have the boot on hand, but it'll probably be similar to the Radical Pro - wider forefoot and medium instep, true to size, maybe a few mm shorter. I'll report back once they're in stock and I can get my feet in them in 2024.
    A read of the comments on Skimo's page indicates it's way more what you're saying than it is what people quoted Hoji saying about it being "TLT 5/6-like." https://skimo.co/dynafit-ridge-pro-boots.

A couple of the fit comments:
    They are on the medium-wider side, but not as wide and high volume as the Radical Pro.
    The closest competitor in ski + walk performance is the Skorpius, which is a different fit.
    Not quite as big as the Radicals; it has a slick system for reducing volume...the whole tongue can slide inward with the ankle strap and down with the Twistfit. Should accommodate a lot of feet.
    and my fave reply: Hi Justin, these aren't particularly narrow in the heel. You might be a candidate for the patriot liner sleeves.

Apparently a few Ridge Pros out for testing via Skimo.co, interested if anyone here has had them out in the field!

Man, I had kind of written Dynafit off lately, but skimo.co saying “Perhaps the best ratio of uphill and downhill performance we have seen to date” is getting me excited.

And the weight seems nice: 1250 g compared to 1410 g for the Backland XTD 120. (Both in size 27, assuming they weighed the production boot)

I just got to try on the Dynafit Ridge. Pretty impressed, I just pre-ordered them. They are seriously stiff and have a huge touring range of motion, not limited by the Hoji lock at all. Im curious if illisd having a power strap. The floating tongue is very interesting, seems to work. The buckle layout seems like it will work well for me, that middle buckle is key for my foot, so many lighter boots don't work for me because theyve got nothing there. The liner is pretty thin. For me this will be like every boot I've used for 15+ years, basically throw away the stock liner and put an intuition in that takes up more volume and is higher quality. Definitely lower volume than the Radicals. Wish they were a touch lower volume in the heel/ankle but I think I can make them work.

That’s awesome! Any comparison to the Vulcan in terms of fit? Performance?

The new Scarpa Quattro should belong in this category imo.

I know it is a bit heavier at ~1400g, but I tried one on, and it walks significantly better than the Ultra XTD that has been used as a reference in other parts of this thread, and arguably is as stiff/supportive. It uses Grilamid plastic, and I think is closer to a full touring boot than the 50/50 boot category it's marketed as.

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    That’s awesome! Any comparison to the Vulcan in terms of fit? Performance?
    Hmm.. Hard to say, I got rid of my Vulcans a long time ago, sorry. I've been in Zero Gs for 5 years now, and in a short in the shop the Ridges didnt really seem much softer, but huge improvement in range of motion. I think a bit more volume in the Ridge

Rumor is we'll get Ridge in 26, 27, 28 sometime in january. I wasn't there for the demo, but mixed reactions to the buckle layout. And more feedback that the tongue situation makes for a pretty adaptable instep fit.

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    And the weight seems nice: 1250 g compared to 1410 g for the Backland XTD 120. (Both in size 27, assuming they weighed the production boot)
    So I'm an idiot. Sounds like this is the mfg weight for the Ridge compared to the actual weight of Backland. I suspect the shell weights will be pretty dang close: 1055 (skimo comments, pre-production Ridge Pro) vs 1085 (blister, Backland XTD). That makes things basically apples to apples between the Ridge Pro and Backland XTD 120.

Carry on.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

while I am no fan of Dynafit - the mechanics of these is kinda interesting.

I wonder how the Hoji lock works in them. With the beefier boots the system seemingly transitions great, but also seems to have just about zero forward progressiveness which surely must result in a shit ton of shin bang in variable snow.

Then again these light weight boots aren't exactly know for having progressive flex patterns, so perhaps less of an issue in these.

Quote Originally Posted by kid-kapow View Post
    while I am no fan of Dynafit - the mechanics of these is kinda interesting.

I wonder how the Hoji lock works in them. With the beefier boots the system seemingly transitions great, but also seems to have just about zero forward progressiveness which surely must result in a shit ton of shin bang in variable snow.

Then again these light weight boots aren't exactly know for having progressive flex patterns, so perhaps less of an issue in these.
    I have the hoji 130 and i think the boot has enough of a progressive flex, especially after the first couple of days.
    Definitely no boot bang.

Sent from my moto g 5G using Tapatalk

After much trial and error, and many trips to various shops to try on different touring boots, I’ve come to the conclusion that no touring boot currently on the market fits the way I want a ski boot to fit. Coming from a racing background, and skiing an atomic redster CS130 as my inbounds boot, I just cannot find a touring boot that secures my foot properly, but is still long enough to preserve my toenails. (I know I’m not the only one who thinks that all touring boots have too much volume.)

Today I tried on a zero g peak (I know, not in this category…bear with me…) a full size down, and a lightbulb went off. Finally, a snug fit around the heel and ankle, even though it’s too short. But since I do not ever plan on using a touring boot in anything but a pin binding, I thought why not just punch the toe to give me more length? Problem is, I’d need something close to 3+mm (a guess). I know a lot of these boots don’t punch well.

So, I’m coming to you all for some advice: are there any boots in this 1300g category that would hold a substantial punch in the toe box? I’m willing to consider a lighter boot, but I don’t want to get up into the true 50/50 category—I will never ride a lift with this boot. That said, I ski somewhat aggressively and, being an east coaster, often tour in less-than-ideal snow conditions.

I know I could take up room with an after market liner—that’s what I’m doing now, and it’s…not great! I want the shell to fit my foot!

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by AlecO View Post
    After much trial and error, and many trips to various shops to try on different touring boots, I’ve come to the conclusion that no touring boot currently on the market fits the way I want a ski boot to fit. Coming from a racing background, and skiing an atomic redster CS130 as my inbounds boot, I just cannot find a touring boot that secures my foot properly, but is still long enough to preserve my toenails. (I know I’m not the only one who thinks that all touring boots have too much volume.)

Today I tried on a zero g peak (I know, not in this category…bear with me…) a full size down, and a lightbulb went off. Finally, a snug fit around the heel and ankle, even though it’s too short. But since I do not ever plan on using a touring boot in anything but a pin binding, I thought why not just punch the toe to give me more length? Problem is, I’d need something close to 3+mm (a guess). I know a lot of these boots don’t punch well.

So, I’m coming to you all for some advice: are there any boots in this 1300g category that would hold a substantial punch in the toe box? I’m willing to consider a lighter boot, but I don’t want to get up into the true 50/50 category—I will never ride a lift with this boot. That said, I ski somewhat aggressively and, being an east coaster, often tour in less-than-ideal snow conditions.

I know I could take up room with an after market liner—that’s what I’m doing now, and it’s…not great! I want the shell to fit my foot!
    None of the carbon reinforced Grilamid boots punch well, and I've distorted the toes of my Zero G Peak Carbons trying to make them work. If you can size down from your normal Redster CS a mondopoint, your Redster is probably on the big side; the Zero G Peak shells run about 3/4 size short. In the 1300 gram category, the Zero G Tour Pro and Atomic Backland XTD Carbon both punch well for toe length. The closest thing to a snug ankle fit in a boot with reasonable touring mode is the old orange/black Polyamide Hawx Ultra XTD, but it will be more like 1450 grams with a thin liner (26.5).

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    None of the carbon reinforced Grilamid boots punch well, and I've distorted the toes of my Zero G Peak Carbons trying to make them work. If you can size down from your normal Redster CS a mondopoint, your Redster is probably on the big side; the Zero G Peak shells run about 3/4 size short. In the 1300 gram category, the Zero G Tour Pro and Atomic Backland XTD Carbon both punch well for toe length. The closest thing to a snug ankle fit in a boot with reasonable touring mode is the old orange/black Polyamide Hawx Ultra XTD, but it will be more like 1450 grams with a thin liner (26.5).
    Thanks this is helpful. Need to stay away from the carbon. Also interesting to hear the peak runs short. I am in a 28 in my redsters—definitely feel like it’s a performance fit. (I measure 29.5 or thereabouts.) I am currently in a 2022 Hawx ultra in a 29, which is too big. The peak that felt good in the ankle was a 27(!!!), but way too short. I tried on a zgpt in a 28 and it was too roomy in the ankle. (They didn’t have a 27 to try.) I also tried on a quantum free in a 28 that was both very short and way too roomy in the ankle. I’m very curious about the backland xtd, so good to hear that it can take a punch. I’ll have to go find someplace to try it on.

Thanks this is helpful. Need to stay away from the carbon. Also interesting to hear the peak runs short. I am in a 28 in my redsters—definitely feel like it’s a performance fit. (I measure 29.5 or thereabouts.) I am currently in a 2022 Hawx ultra in a 29, which is too big. The peak that felt good in the ankle was a 27(!!!), but way too short. I tried on a zgpt in a 28 and it was too roomy in the ankle. (They didn’t have a 27 to try.) I also tried on a quantum free in a 28 that was both very short and way too roomy in the ankle. I’m very curious about the backland xtd, so good to hear that it can take a punch. I’ll have to go find someplace to try it on.
    Backland XTD will likely feel massive in the ankle for you if I had to take a guess (I'm running one now).

Could look at La Sportiva options? I think they tend to run lower volume than a lot of other brands.

As someone with a FIS racing background, for the longest time I wanted the same thing. I eventually realized no touring boot will ever come close to fitting like a plug boot, nor should they.

That's not to say having good ankle hold is impossible but you're probably going to end up taking up space either through a HV or MV liner OR just have a bit more wiggle room. You're not going to ski a touring ski like a race ski, so your boots don't really need the same level of precision.
    For Sale:

If you're in the Northeast and would like to borrow some Jigarex Plates I have:

Rossi/Look plates
    Salomon Warden 13 plates
    Marker Kingpin Plates

Backland XTD will likely feel massive in the ankle for you if I had to take a guess (I'm running one now).

Could look at La Sportiva options? I think they tend to run lower volume than a lot of other brands.

As someone with a FIS racing background, for the longest time I wanted the same thing. I eventually realized no touring boot will ever come close to fitting like a plug boot, nor should they.

That's not to say having good ankle hold is impossible but you're probably going to end up taking up space either through a HV or MV liner OR just have a bit more wiggle room. You're not going to ski a touring ski like a race ski, so your boots don't really need the same level of precision.
    Similarly helpful; thanks. I fear you’re right, and I totally get that (and have been dealing with it for the last three seasons in my Hawx!). The tricky part I’m trying to work out is the tension between trying to be in a mondo size that feels right(ish), and the need for enough length so that I don’t lose all my toenails after my first flat skin. Hence my question about which of these can take a toe punch. I will definitely check out the sportiva offerings.

~1300g boot thread

Thoughts?
    Similar challenges for me. There’s not a touring boot on the market with the ankle fit and skiing position of your CS130s. The now discontinued Salomon S-Lab X-Alp and almost identical Arc’teryx Procline (V2) came close, but obviously didn’t sell. Using an Intuition liner to take up volume, and grinding and wedging to modify the stance can make any number of generic touring boots acceptable for powder skiing, but they remain mediocre in anything challenging. Custom 3D printed boots can’t come fast enough.

The unfortunate truth is that the better the ROM and the lighter the boot, the worse your chances of finding a snug ankle fit. This will likely not change due to the engineering challenges of making the hinging cuff work well, as well as fitting the vast majority of ankle shapes and volumes.

I've been able to get a full size increase on several Dynafit and Salomon Grilamid boots, but they still don't come close to the fit and power of my Redster CS or Hawx Ultra Professionals. I ski them with that in mind.

~1300g boot thread

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    Similar challenges for me. There’s not a touring boot on the market with the ankle fit and skiing position of your CS130s. The now discontinued Salomon S-Lab X-Alp and almost identical Arc’teryx Procline (V2) came close, but obviously didn’t sell. Using an Intuition liner to take up volume, and grinding and wedging to modify the stance can make any number of generic touring boots acceptable for powder skiing, but they remain mediocre in anything challenging. Custom 3D printed boots can’t come fast enough.
    I'd add either an old TLT5P or TLT6P (GREEN one, not the Black/Orange one) to those two. The TLTs are more upright in stance vs. the X-Alp/Procline (TLTs are 16 degrees). Yes, old and almost definitely going to be used if found (they come up for sale surprisingly frequently), but for narrow feet/heels, it's unlikely you can do better apart from kootenay's recommendations (which are less old). I put plug wraps in mine and a booster strap and am consistently shocked by how well they ski/walk.

ETA: My ankles are so skinny a bootfitter asked me if I’d had some kind of injury. I can make a ZGTP work with a tour wrap or GFT with added cork.
    Last edited by Andyski; 02-29-2024 at 12:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    The unfortunate truth is that the better the ROM and the lighter the boot, the worse your chances of finding a snug ankle fit. This will likely not change due to the engineering challenges of making the hinging cuff work well, as well as fitting the vast majority of ankle shapes and volumes.

I've been able to get a full size increase on several Dynafit and Salomon Grilamid boots, but they still don't come close to the fit and power of my Redster CS or Hawx Ultra Professionals. I ski them with that in mind.
    A full size increase by punching the toe would be huge, as I really do notice a big difference in ankle fit when sizing down. I definitely don’t expect any touring boot to match the fit or performance of my redsters. But what I’m hearing is that non-carbon grilamid might be able to handle the punch i would need if i sized down for good ankle hold.

TLT6 is worth a try and would be found (if found) cheap enough to experiment with. Sportiva skorpius is where it seems many have landed as a tlt6 replacement.

Combing shell work with thin liners and you can get yourself closer to a true race fit in a >1300g boot. But like nyskirat, I wouldn’t stress about finding the last 1% of a performance fit if you’ve got a comfortable boot. You’ll either be driving lighter skis in good snow where you won’t notice much performance loss, or you’ll be driving lighter skis in less good snow where skiing fast is no longer the priority. And you’ll never be upset that you prioritized a warm boot. I’m not advocating for sizing up (I still run >1 finger shell fit) but more of reminder that you’re in a light boot because you intend to spend a long day on your feet going uphill.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums