Page 36 of 38 FirstFirst ... 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PeachesNCream View Post
    Personally I don’t like ON whey, it’s full of sugar, flavoring, etc, it’s not healthy imo..
    It only has whatever flavorings are needed to get whatever flavor you want (for example cocoa is in the chocolate flavors) and there is no added sugar. If you're extremely lactose intolerant then consider going for some higher-priced stuff but there's no appreciable difference between any different brands of whey protein. Try to keep in mind that whey protein, all brands and types, is an industrial waste product that someone figured out they could charge a bunch of money for after ultra-processing it.
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com

Quote Originally Posted by bean View Post
    It only has whatever flavorings are needed to get whatever flavor you want (for example cocoa is in the chocolate flavors) and there is no added sugar. If you're extremely lactose intolerant then consider going for some higher-priced stuff but there's no appreciable difference between any different brands of whey protein. Try to keep in mind that whey protein, all brands and types, is an industrial waste product that someone figured out they could charge a bunch of money for after ultra-processing it.
    There’s more flavoring than just cocoa, including artificial flavors. I meant to say fake sugar, not sugar, which includes acesulfame and sucralose. Everyone has different tolerances but I stay away from the artificial flavors and sugars

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There’s more flavoring than just cocoa, including artificial flavors. I meant to say fake sugar, not sugar, which includes acesulfame and sucralose. Everyone has different tolerances but I stay away from the artificial flavors and sugars
    Just ran into this with the Orgain Organic protein powder at Costco. Relied on the organic label and didn’t read the fine print that it contained erythritol. Tried it once and the aftertaste was awful. Decided to add more eggs to get protein instead. Tastes better, we will see how it works.

I know the general concern over "artificial flavoring" is that it can be anything, but is there any one you're specifically concerned with?

FYI "grass fed" includes cornstalks sprayed with atrazine, fortunately most of the fat is stripped away from whey protein and so there's not much difference there.
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."

throughpolarizedeyes.com

Quote Originally Posted by bean View Post
    I know the general concern over "artificial flavoring" is that it can be anything, but is there any one you're specifically concerned with?

FYI "grass fed" includes cornstalks sprayed with atrazine, fortunately most of the fat is stripped away from whey protein and so there's not much difference there.
    That’s the thing, we don’t know what it is, could be fine, could be bad. But in general I try and stay away from “food” made in a lab.

Didn’t know that, that’s unfortunate but doesn’t shock me. Do I think grass fed is perfect? No, but I think it’s better than grain fed. Yeah I realize that nutritionally it probably doesn’t make much of a difference for whey since there’s no fat but I think it’s the right way to do things. My theory with food is, real ingredients with farming and raising animals done as close to their natural ways as possible. Details are bonus and they’re always changing.

Does anyone know where/how to get a Dexa Scan in the Boulder area? I thought it'd be a lot easier to find information and locations, but I can't find shit online.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Does anyone know where/how to get a Dexa Scan in the Boulder area? I thought it'd be a lot easier to find information and locations, but I can't find shit online.
    Scanners are quite expensive, so you'll likely only find them at major hospitals and not clinics / nutrition services.

BCH has a scanner. I'd call and see what their self-pay rates are and confirm that they'll report Fat Mass and Fat Free Mass, in addition to bone density scores.

DTM, you should just crowd source it. Post some more shirtless pictures and we'll all weigh in on your lean body mass percentage.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Wait, what?

Hahaha... Wrong callout! For some reason I saw your username instead of smmokan's. Maybe that would also be good, though?

I do happen to have free access to an InBody scanner (impedence based, but a nice one). Around this time last I did one and it said 12.9%. The margin of error is probably +/- 3-5%, though.

Does the dexa website has a list of locations? I feel like i've tried looking that up before. Although I suppose that might not include every place.

Anyway I've been having a decent winter of training I guess. The lack of snow but short days, crappy roads, and cold has given me a lot of opportunity to get on zwift and do workouts. Funny how when you keep doing them power goes up. Pretty good numbers on the last 5x5 and 2x20 workouts I did. Looking last year around this time I was 20w lower on a vo2 workout and I had a pretty good season last year.

I really tend to slack off with the workouts when I can start riding a bunch of miles outside though.

You'd have to leave the bubble - it's at Colorado & I-25 - but it's only $80 and I was able to get in fairly quickly the one time I did it.

https://www.bodyfatusa.com
    Prove me wrong."

throughpolarizedeyes.com

Question for you guys around programming and specifically threshold work. Trying to sort out progression through the base/build/race phases of a program.

I've been listening to a bunch of podcasts and doing some reading, and what has made sense to me is within each block focus on progression of time in zone (versus increasing power), and then block to block focus on increasing the intensity of zones... so for base, obviously Z2/endurance and then progressing within tempo/sweet spot with a few harder efforts every few weeks (one vo2max for example). Build, focusing on threshold and vo2max and race focusing on event specific intervals. I'm fairly comfortable on workouts/progressions in vo2max and sprinting, but what I am trying to sort out now is in the build phase how to program threshold work with an aim to either slightly improve my threshold power or better yet increase time to exhaustion. Goal events are fondos, so 120-150km 1500-2000m with intense 5-15min climbing efforts followed by Z2 cruising/recovering. Will be doing a few shorter road races as well. Not really clear on what threshold workouts look like versus sweet spot, i.e. 2x20's, 2x30's or just going and hammering a hill climb for an hour as close to my FTP as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    Question for you guys around programming and specifically threshold work.
    I like 5x5s at 95-100% FTP with 1 minute recovery. 4x8 with 2 minutes works well also. Pick one, do it twice a week, and stick to it for a while instead of mixing it up and you'll likely have good results.
    Prove me wrong."

throughpolarizedeyes.com

Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    Question for you guys around programming and specifically threshold work. Trying to sort out progression through the base/build/race phases of a program.

I've been listening to a bunch of podcasts and doing some reading, and what has made sense to me is within each block focus on progression of time in zone (versus increasing power), and then block to block focus on increasing the intensity of zones... so for base, obviously Z2/endurance and then progressing within tempo/sweet spot with a few harder efforts every few weeks (one vo2max for example). Build, focusing on threshold and vo2max and race focusing on event specific intervals. I'm fairly comfortable on workouts/progressions in vo2max and sprinting, but what I am trying to sort out now is in the build phase how to program threshold work with an aim to either slightly improve my threshold power or better yet increase time to exhaustion. Goal events are fondos, so 120-150km 1500-2000m with intense 5-15min climbing efforts followed by Z2 cruising/recovering. Will be doing a few shorter road races as well. Not really clear on what threshold workouts look like versus sweet spot, i.e. 2x20's, 2x30's or just going and hammering a hill climb for an hour as close to my FTP as possible.
    "Threshold" workouts can be progressed by
    1. Altering Intensity
    2. Increasing Work duration
    3. Decreasing Rest duration

So,
    5 x 5min at 95% FTP with 5 minutes recovery is less difficult than with 1 min of rest.
    2x15 min at 95% with 5 min recovery is more difficult than 5x5min @ 95% with 1 min rest.
    2x15 min at 95% with 20s surges to 105% FTP every 2 min is harder than the straight 2x15 min.

I very rarely recommend straight sub-threshold efforts (e.g. 95% FTP). I think it's an important skill the riders lean to push above threshold and then learn to recover at 95% because this is more reflective of how we use this workload in an event. So, I almost always recommend surges or an over / under style of workout prescription.

Complete training jong here. Generally speaking, how bad is it not to eat after an ~hour long ride on the trainer?

I have a hard time stomaching food afterwards, usually just have a gatorade and as much water as I can. With my current schedule my typical riding time ends about four hours before from dinner. Maybe worth noting when I do have dinner, I'm not exactly feeling famished. In other words, my hunger level is still normal by then.

I am (slowly) losing weight but suspect I'm not doing my muscles any favours by waiting a few hours to eat.

Any thoughts or comments are greatly appreciated.

What about a recovery drink? I’ve started using a mix of Skratch and whey protein (after both lifting and riding), and it actually tastes pretty good.

Why pay for Skratch? 60g of sucrose and 20g of whey will be just as effective and will cost pennies.

What about a recovery drink? I’ve started using a mix of Skratch and whey protein (after both lifting and riding), and it actually tastes pretty good.
    Oh. Of course recovery drinks are a thing - thank you! I wasn't joking when I said I was new to this.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    Why pay for Skratch? 60g of sucrose and 20g of whey will be just as effective and will cost pennies.
    Thank you. Would those measurements be good for a 195 lb guy?

I definitely recommend getting in calories post workout, and extra calories on big training days, esp if you’re losing weight. I’m usually a “eat when I’m hungry” person but was never hungry after a long run sesh. I Noticed it was significantly impacting my recovery. I started targeting those really high calorie foods post workout so I didn’t have to eat as much

I do a scoop of unflavored whey with maple syrup. Yum

Because I get a discount on Skratch and I personally don't want 60g of pure sugar.

Organic chocolate whole milk. We have a local brand that doesn't contain any corn shits. It's perfect for swillin post workout, riding, skiing or moto for me.

Ok thanks all, lots of options here for me to try.