Computer question (nerd related)

i know wrong forum blah blah blah...

anyway...

I have a sony laptop...the fucker crashed SUPER hard a few months back and I had to reinstall the OS and shit....didnt have restore disks and got a free copy of XP Pro from my moms work...so i hooked that bitch up and she works like a charm now....

got all the drivers for the components off the sony website....

PROBLEM: The function keys dont work anymore (hold the "Fn" button and adjust volume and screen brightness)

anyway, all i need to do it be able to dim my screen, so that the battery last longer than 30 minutes when the laptop is unplugged (like when i am in class taking notes).....

sony is telling me the only way to fix this is to BUY restore CDs for like 25 bucks, re-do the hole OS and all that bullshit, lose all my data and crap like that...

not happening

do they make/sell software that dims your screen?

thanks fools

haha, your computer beatered harder than bz.

seriously though, check around control panel for something that may do what your trying to do, display or monitor or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Z
    haha, your computer beatered harder than bz.

seriously though, check around control panel for something that may do what your trying to do, display or monitor or something.

i tried that...my comp is weird

Search for the drivers on the webernet. I'm sure there's something out there.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

searches everywhere, checked some nerd message boards....apparently sony dosent make the files publicly available.....i would need access to another Sony PCG-V505EX to get the files without buying the disks...

anyone have that computer? wanna hook me up with the files?

call sony and bitch at them.

Quote Originally Posted by MOHSHSIHd
    ... my moms work...so i hooked that bitch up and she works like a charm now....
    Someone has "issues" with his mother.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Do you have Alcohol 120% installed on your laptop? If so try uninstalling it, checking Fn screen dimming and then re-install Alcohol.

Quote Originally Posted by xkyzero
    Do you have Alcohol 120% installed on your laptop? If so try uninstalling it, checking Fn screen dimming and then re-install Alcohol.

ummm....i dont know...what is alcohol 120%?

Alcohol is CD/DVD burning software. My other question would be did you try dimming the screen before you installed any software?

right click on your desktop and click "properties" a panel will open, hit the "settings" tab and the "advanced" in the bottom right. Find the tab in there which relates to your graphics card/adapter. First you want to make sure that if you do have a dedicated card that you have to latest driver for that card, you can get them from the manufacturer's website. For nvidia users just click on "color correction" and adjust from there, for others I'm not sure but it can't be too much different.

thanks belgian...

i found that before...but that decreases the apparent brightness of the screen....it dosent actually reduce the amount of power going to the screen...

however i had it before the HD crash full power brigtness meant the batt lasted like 40 minutes....on full dim it lasted over 2 hours...

Might also try the Sony® HotKey Utility for the PCG-R505TL. I know it's not your model but it works on a lot of models so it might be worth a try. Find it at http://esupport.sony.com/perl/swu-do...id=628&os_id=7

Quote Originally Posted by xkyzero
    Might also try the Sony® HotKey Utility for the PCG-R505TL. I know it's not your model but it works on a lot of models so it might be worth a try. Find it at http://esupport.sony.com/perl/swu-do...id=628&os_id=7

thanks...i just installed it....wont control the screen hotkey...just scroll lock...

damn

Courage + believe = life. Life is not about how many breaths you take. It's what you do with those breaths

All of the drivers you need are more than likely available on Sony’s and/or the hardware manufactures website the tech support is just told to not support anything but the recovery disks. They are just trained monkeys most likely working for a 3rd party that gets paid by the call by Sony so there goal is throughput not to help you get your laptop working with an OS that it was not shipped with.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiEvil

they dont have stuff for my computers exact model...

PCG-V505VP
    PCG-V505AC

ect ect...

no PCG-V505EX

bump.

no luck yet and I need my computer for class! Its getting to the point of desperation....

If you help me get this fixed I will buy you beers....anyone

GOOGLE BITCH!
    Linky

Hope this helps. I'd recommend starting with the motherboard, bios, system components, and touchpad drivers.

If all else fails, dive into their FAQ/Knowledge base.

edit: or perhaps the NOTEBOOK CONTROLS AND UTILITIES driver
    Last edited by DJSapp; 08-31-2005 at 06:19 PM.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

There are laptop specific drivers that install with the shipped version of windows to control various functionality (Fn keys), thats the prob. If they aren't on the web, beg somone on vaio forums to send you the driver .cab file and manually install.

Quote Originally Posted by DJSapp
    [size=7]\

edit: or perhaps the NOTEBOOK CONTROLS AND UTILITIES driver
    tried it...need the discs to install