Page 219 of 226 FirstFirst ... 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 ... LastLast
Results 5,451 to 5,475 of 5637
    Again, there's not much of a trade off at all according your link. if you don't drive on real ice often of course you don't care for studs.

Looking at numbers isn't the end all anyways - driving in studs and blissfully drifting corners in control is not something that can be quantified by your nerd numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Is there a way to track a website to know when it has been updated? A reservation website says that their 2024 booking window hasn't opened yet, and they will update the website when it does. Don't want to miss it and don't want to have to check every day.

Pick up the phone.
    If that's sub-optimal, then automate something:

https://www.sken.io/

As long as they're going to be assholes, check every 30s or so if you have the bandwidth and something up 24/7. The site is prob already totally cached in all your browsers. heh

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    Again, there's not much of a trade off at all according your link. if you don't drive on real ice often of course you don't care for studs.

Looking at numbers isn't the end all anyways - driving in studs and blissfully drifting corners in control is not something that can be quantified by your nerd numbers.
    So, you could watch the video to hear what he has to say, rather than just looking at the numbers.

Point is, current studless tires are extremely good, even in conditions where you may expect studs to have an advantage. They’re also noticeably quieter, which I consider an advantage, and usually cheaper by a not insignificant amount.

If you need studs, great! But I think many people underestimate the performance of a really good quality studless tire.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Studded winters on a Q5? The GF has a new whip and the stock tires er um....yeah. My truck has studded Hakkas so its night and day driving that thing. SWMT = lots of super hardpack cold ice to drive on.

I guess 235/55 r19 is a weird size for studdeds?
    You've driven studded Hak 10s and you still ask this question? Don't put them on the Q5 if you don't care if it gets crashed.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Yeah. I think in 95% of people's use cases they are driving on soft snow MOST of the time if anything besides dry pavement. Here it's the canyon where that super hard glazed white ice builds up and even a full size dump plows blade just skips off of it.

Yeah. I think in 95% of people's use cases they are driving on soft snow MOST of the time if anything besides dry pavement. Here it's the canyon where that super hard glazed white ice builds up and even a full size dump plows blade just skips off of it.
    I've driven studded and studless in both New England and Montana. On a Q5 with a second rig in the household with studded Hakkapaliitaas, I'd go unstudded.

Based on the testing reviews and that the Q5 has more real options (compared to a truck where the true winter options are damned limited), the data strongly suggests that it's a narrow set of situations where the studs are better. I do it on my truck with the assumption that I'm optimizing for the worst case rather than the 80-90% of my driving that would be better without studs.

Also, am I recalling correctly that the Q5 transports clients? The sound advantage there could be significant.

Yeah - I'd probably be easily talked into studs for that use case, TBH. And I'm a huge fan of studless snows.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    So, you could watch the video to hear what he has to say, rather than just looking at the numbers.

Point is, current studless tires are extremely good, even in conditions where you may expect studs to have an advantage. They’re also noticeably quieter, which I consider an advantage, and usually cheaper by a not insignificant amount.

If you need studs, great! But I think many people underestimate the performance of a really good quality studless tire.
    Your tedious ass didn't post a video so of course i didn't watch it. No idea what video it is either but it doesn't matter. Just stop saying silly shit is my point - those tires tested all about the same in snow/ice, nonstuds are barely better sometimes. As for real world experience, I lived where Whiteroom lives for 13 years, with studs, with Hakkas. And Hakkas without studs. I currently own the Michelin X Ice Snow in that review. Spreadsheets only tell you a part of the story.

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    Your tedious ass didn't post a video so of course i didn't watch it. No idea what video it is either but it doesn't matter. Just stop saying silly shit is my point - those tires tested all about the same in snow/ice, nonstuds are barely better sometimes. As for real world experience, I lived where Whiteroom lives for 13 years, with studs, with Hakkas. And Hakkas without studs. I currently own the Michelin X Ice Snow in that review. Spreadsheets only tell you a part of the story.
    The video that plays as soon as you click the link???

My random unthreadworthy question is why isn’t there a thread about winter tires where folks can ask questions and argue about those?

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    My random unthreadworthy question is why isn’t there a thread about winter tires where folks can argue about those?
    There is.

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...Snow-Tire-help

Glad that we cleared that up.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Having driven both studless and studded Haaks for many years ... I have to laugh at the current few posts of this thread.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

The video that plays as soon as you click the link???

Ha, it doesn't autoplay but yes it's damn obvious now and I totally missed it!

So anyways I gotta rent a car in Miami and I figured convertible because why not and the only convertibles I've found so far are from Sixt. Any reason not to rent from them? I know nothing about them.

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    So anyways I gotta rent a car in Miami and I figured convertible because why not and the only convertibles I've found so far are from Sixt. Any reason not to rent from them? I know nothing about them.
    I have rented from them in the past with no issues. Make sure their rental location is at the airport and not offsite. I cant remember where they are located in Miami. You do NOT want to have to return a car and catch a flight from an offsite location In Miami (voice of experience.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Cool thanks I'll check

edit: It's right next to the airport, seems close enough, no? https://www.google.com/maps/place/SI...29m2?entry=ttu

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    Rented from them twice in Europe on work trips, positive experience overall both times.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    My random unthreadworthy question is why isn’t there a thread about winter tires where folks can ask questions and argue about those?
    Name:  IMG_3530.gif
Views: 194
Size:  17.5 KB

My hair is like straw, dry and un-ruly. I read some thing about how mens shampoo sucks and makes that happen and that men should use women's shampoo.
    I've never even considered shampoo before, I buy it cheap and by the half gallon with a pump. Has anyone ever tried using something fancy and did you notice a difference? The cost of women's shampoo is astronomical!
    The whole human race is de evolving; it is due to birth control, smart people use birth control, and stupid people keep pooping out more stupid babies.

Try not using shampoo at all (just rinse and "scrub" with your fingers). Your hair will feel greasy at first but it will stop that soon and readjust.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Huh? You obviously don't have oily hair

I tried no shampoo, just conditioner for a few months until my daughter said my hair looked like fried noodles. Now I just wash a 2-3 days a week and it looks healthier, but I do have that dry, frizzy thing, too. What shampoo? Good question. I haven't found it yet and I'd love to know. That said, some people just have frizzy hair so maybe I'm over thinking it. Probably has more to do with diet than shampoo.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Try not using shampoo at all (just rinse and "scrub" with your fingers). Your hair will feel greasy at first but it will stop that soon and readjust.
    What?? Um no.