Lange XT Free 130 tech issues

Hello,

Just wondering if any of you have had trouble getting the Lange XT Free into tech bindings, i sue the dynafit TLT radical 2.0 I have had a tough time getting the toe height just right when using the DIN soles. I thought i was just being an idiot but when i went on exchange to Targhee many of their patrollers were having the same issues. Starting to make some big dents around the inserts and praying they don't decide to fallout. Switched to the WTR soles for this season to see if it helps !

Anyone else out there having this issue?

Quote Originally Posted by traildude View Post
    Hello,

Just wondering if any of you have had trouble getting the Lange XT Free into tech bindings, i sue the dynafit TLT radical 2.0 I have had a tough time getting the toe height just right when using the DIN soles. I thought i was just being an idiot but when i went on exchange to Targhee many of their patrollers were having the same issues. Starting to make some big dents around the inserts and praying they don't decide to fallout. Switched to the WTR soles for this season to see if it helps !

Anyone else out there having this issue?
    What does getting the toe height right with tech bindings mean? Can you replicate it (or avoid it) with the skis on the bench?

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    What does getting the toe height right with tech bindings mean? Can you replicate it (or avoid it) with the skis on the bench?

... Thom
    I'm guessing the alpine sole is thinner, so it's hard to both apply pressure to get the toe wings to close, and have the pins lined up right.

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post

... Thom
    The xt free came with din soles, so I’m thinking the wtr soles might be thicker and alleviate the annoyance when getting into tech bindings. Just seeing if anyone here has had positive results by making the switch

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    I'm guessing the alpine sole is thinner, so it's hard to both apply pressure to get the toe wings to close, and have the pins lined up right.
    This. Tech bindings are not developed with ISO 5355 dimensions in mind- they are built for the touring norm ISO 9523. When you step into a tech binding with an ISO 5355 sole, the binding pins will not line up with the tech inserts in the boot very well. Going to WTR (which is ISO 9523) should help you out here.

The Din sole is thinner so you have to line the tech toes up then pull the lever up. Once you switch you’ll be able to step right in with out issues. I only use the Din soles with Alpine bindings for this reason. It’s a pain in the ass to be somewhere sketchy, stepping in, then bending over to lift the toe lever up, hoping you get it the first time

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Thanks everyone! Just ordered the WTR soles, glad all my other skis have sth13 WTR bindings already. Thanks for letting me know it was a worthwhile purchase. I also noticed at the shop today Lange went to the WTR as stock on the the xt free 3

I also noticed at the shop today Lange went to the WTR as stock on the the xt free 3
    Lange (and everyone else) went GripWalk for 20-21 walk mode boots. WTR is dead.

The xt free came with din soles, so I’m thinking the wtr soles might be thicker and alleviate the annoyance when getting into tech bindings. Just seeing if anyone here has had positive results by making the switch
    Lange shipped the original XT Freetour with WTR soles (no alpine ISO 5355 soles were available). The XT Free shipped with alpine 5355 soles, they made a GripWalk sole with the same screw pattern available as well. Aligning with the tech toe inserts and having "just the right amount" of rubber over the toe wings are not always the same thing; I've had to grind rubber off on several occasions to get the arms to close properly. Give it a shot, I am guessing you have GripWalk soles. FWIW, I run the flat alpine soles on both the XT Free and XT3, mostly for attending demos and such and being able to use any binding with one boot - it's not that hard to insert a binding pin on one side and gently roll your boot over until the other side clicks in.

Lange XT Free 130 tech issues

I had same issues w alpine soles, grip walk solved issue

I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Lange shipped the original XT Freetour with WTR soles (no alpine ISO 5355 soles were available). The XT Free shipped with alpine 5355 soles, they made a GripWalk sole with the same screw pattern available as well. Aligning with the tech toe inserts and having "just the right amount" of rubber over the toe wings are not always the same thing; I've had to grind rubber off on several occasions to get the arms to close properly. Give it a shot, I am guessing you have GripWalk soles. FWIW, I run the flat alpine soles on both the XT Free and XT3, mostly for attending demos and such and being able to use any binding with one boot - it's not that hard to insert a binding pin on one side and gently roll your boot over until the other side clicks in.
    Yup, my OG Freetours with WTR only soles engage tech toes just fine.

I defer to those with Grip Walk, as I've never owned a GW boot.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Anyone have a line for DIN soles for the XT3? I need a pair bad

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    I had same issues w alpine soles, grip walk solved issue
    I didn't switch mine over to GripWalk, but I did look like a damned idiot the first time I tried to get them into my Dynafits (Speed Radical 2). Didn't help that my dog was ramped up to go and pulling on the lead, but what I eventually figured out was that it takes more precise technique to get them into a true tech binding. My method ended up being bringing the boot in at an angle (i.e. heel up, as if mid-stride while skinning) while holding the binding open with my pole. Yes, it would have sucked in a sketchy spot.

Shifts don't seem problematic at all.

Thanks everyone, new soles ordered

Hi....the XTFree is a good boot but the range of motion is limited compared to other "crossover" type boots on the market. The Cochise is also a decent boot, but to me personally feels really soft for a 130. Both are great boots and will serve you well, but I have a few recommendations as well if I may

Rossignol Alltrack Pro 110 or 120 - This boots feels stiffer than the Cochise and has 50 degrees of motion, which is a lot for a boot that is not a dedicated touring boot.

Quote Originally Posted by ElvisBlack View Post
    Hi....the XTFree is a good boot but the range of motion is limited compared to other "crossover" type boots on the market. The Cochise is also a decent boot, but to me personally feels really soft for a 130. Both are great boots and will serve you well, but I have a few recommendations as well if I may

Rossignol Alltrack Pro 110 or 120 - This boots feels stiffer than the Cochise and has 50 degrees of motion, which is a lot for a boot that is not a dedicated touring boot.
    The new XT3 has a completely new walk mechanism, it has 53 degrees total range of motion, including 11 degrees more forward compared to the old XT Freetour. One of thing of note...the cuff buckles lock forward in place for when you are skinning and hiking, it is designed to give you the most cuff mobility with the buckles locked forward. Gripwalk soles are coming on all the XT3 boots this season, as stated above, WTR is dead.
    "He thinks the carpet pissers did this?"

Quote Originally Posted by ElvisBlack View Post

FWIW, the Alltrack Pro uses the same walk mode as the XT Free (made by Lange); as bluesbrother49 mentions the XT3 has an all-new design which is much improved. None of these offers the same level of tourability as, say, the Zero G Tour Pro, but you could argue that they ski better.

FWIW, the Alltrack Pro uses the same walk mode as the XT Free (made by Lange); as bluesbrother49 mentions the XT3 has an all-new design which is much improved. None of these offers the same level of tourability as, say, the Zero G Tour Pro, but you could argue that they ski better.
    GregL, for someone large, like me, 6-3 220lbs, do you think what you give up in walk performance with the XT3 over the Zero G Tour Pro, is worth it for the downhill performance? Is it that much of a difference coming downhill? That’s probably hard to quantify and the answer may just be I’m too big for the Zero Gs.

I haven’t been super happy with either of the versions of the all green XTs, they work, but not great. They are great sled skiing ski boots, easy to put on in the field, and with the WTR sole they are pretty good on the running boards.

I’m more wondering if the XT3 140s are such an upgrade its worth replacing my XT Free Pros, or if I should keep the XT Free Pros for sled skiing and get the Zero G Tour Pros? Or if the Zero G Tour Pros aren’t enough boot for me with the size I’ll be in.

Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post
    GregL, for someone large, like me, 6-3 220lbs, do you think what you give up in walk performance with the XT3 over the Zero G Tour Pro, is worth it for the downhill performance? Is it that much of a difference coming downhill? That’s probably hard to quantify and the answer may just be I’m too big for the Zero Gs.
    Hard to say, I haven't skied my XT3's yet - they don't feel that much stiffer (if any) than the ZGTP, but I suspect the flex with be closer to a good PU alpine boot (my standard is the RS 130) - we'll see. Overall, I was happy with the performance of the green XT Free 130 for all but groomer railing on my GS skis, FWIW.

Got the WTR soles on this weekend and problem solved! Stoked as that was my only complaint in the boot, here’s to another 100+ days in them!

it wouldn't be much of an argument. the XT3 skis one kazillion billion times better
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca