Page 201 of 226 FirstFirst ... 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 ... LastLast
Results 5,001 to 5,025 of 5635
    There needs to be some clarification regarding Topaz.
    My limited and lazy "research" revealed that The Eastern Sierra region is designated as occupying both Mono and Inyo counties.
    Topaz (the census designated community) is considered part of the Eastern Sierra, given that it is in Mono County.
    The lake, however, seems to be a grey area...
    From what I can tell, half the lake is in Douglas County and half is in Mono County
    So, saying that Topaz Lake is or isn't part of the Eastern Sierra is half right all of the time.

PS
    The skiing photos Powdork posted back on Sept. 1st technically belong in the Eastern Sierra thread.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Quote Originally Posted by splitter View Post

At the risk of being Pollyannic, I lean towards grace with these unprecedented events.

A healthy dose of skepticism is necessary as well..
    Well said. GIve the leaders the benefit of the doubt and hope they can figure out better solutions when this happens again next year.

We should also lean towards grace on Powdork's ideas. Sure, he could be a selfish kook, but maybe he's not. Dog-piling on anyone who thinks a bit different is getting reallllly old in here. Just agree or disagree and move on. I know that's impossible to do on the internet, but nobody is winning any argument here.

Powdork is def a kook, but he ain't selfish.
    The two times I skied with him this summer he offered me cold beers...

Quote Originally Posted by spanghew View Post
    yes, well, I suggest you go to the FS/BLM headquarters with your declaration of all that is right and proper for managing a resource you probably know almost nothing about beyond the Disneyland view you get riding chairs at Mammoth.

One fire in particular is memorable t me. Up at the Berlasconi Center above Big pine, they had a nice AA retreat where people could tell their sob stories about struggling with sobriety while sitting around a campfire. And they failed to properly extinguish it. And the wind came up (the wind often blows in the Owens Valley) and created a fire that swept down that desolate dry drainage of Big Pine Creek, and it nearly burnt down the entire town of Big Pine I spent 48 hours straight in the ambulance tending to smoke-coked firefighters.

That's one. I know of several more--the little hippie climber campfire in the Buttermilks that torched the flat and was headed to Starlight before it got stopped is a good one: no trees out there, can't burn is what the clowns always say.

So fuck you.
    In the first place I spend every single day on FS land, ski over 100 days per year (every year) and ride chairlifts less than 10 days/year on average. And I saw Backdraft so I know all about fire.
    The question was at the campgrounds you hosted or any FS campgrounds you know of. The Center fire started at the 'Bernasconi School', which as you can guess is not a hosted campground, and there are no hosted campgrounds in the Buttermilks. Also the Center Fire was 100% contained in just over 24 hours so there's another story I doubt.
    So Fuck you cunt!
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

You’re a moron not worth taking to. May your house burn with your toys inside.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Especially when you can't carry a conversation without being woefully incorrect (assuming you meant to type 'talking'.

It's a bit early to be that drunk.

I would also point out that the Center Fire would not have happened if they had a group spot at a FS campground.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    And I saw Backdraft so I know all about fire.
    Have you also seen the movie Contagion?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I saw 12 Monkeys

Daddy!
    Is that man going to be okay?
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

^^^^
    But if they close the forest again to try and prevent the nu varient of the Rona I am going to be pissed..
    I'm cool with this, as long as you Kirkwood Bro Brah's stay away from Heavenly when 88 closes- TahoeBc

Matrix 4 trailer drops tomorrow!!!

Quote Originally Posted by skier666 View Post
    I'm also excited for Dune.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    I'm also excited for Dune.
    I dunno. Fooled me once and all.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    If you think I'm being unreasonable that doesn't bother me in the slightest. You think rich people deserve to die for being rich.
    Incorrect. They should be eaten. But really, you should look at what I actually said instead of repeating what the voices in your head are saying:

Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post
    Wow. That's incredible that they didn't hit any homes in that neighborhood. Peace to the deceased, even though this could be justice for an exploitative and polluting life (if such a thing as karma existed).
    I think the way the current times are affecting all of us, including you (skyrocketing housing prices, closures of lands and businesses, general unpredictability) is shitty and hard and I completely understand wanting things to be the way they were. It's a really high hurdle to face the way undemocratic institutions (like a govt born of white supremacy and the system of private property) limit our freedom while also being unable to deal with the problems we face. It's just the dynamic for the times we live in. I am actually drumnk so that's all I'm going to say for now, except please reach out if you need help, everybuddy. The only alternative to this system is one where we stop competeing (LOL) against each other and work to meet each other's needs.
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Fuck daylight savings time while we are at it.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    4 Time Balboa Open Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Truckee Joe View Post
    While in general I agree, it's nice to get that 6 month break from knowing you're in the same time zone as Arizona.

Quote Originally Posted by skysos View Post
    Looks like west of my neighborhood at the base of Angora ridge. The map shows 2 dozer lines in the Angora fire scar. I'm happy to see the proactive work that was put in to protect houses, but sad to see the destruction to the hillside after 14 years of regrowth. Some trails in there like Mule Deer. Attachment 384260
    Dozer line hugged the homes, can confirm mule deer is fully intact except for right at the bottom where it hits the neighborhood, easy fix

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm actually fine with daylight savings. Didn't feel that way until I had kids...
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Who doesn’t want more light in the evening hours? I say standard time can suck it!

Quote Originally Posted by skier666 View Post
    Remember what the doormouse said...

Trailer is pretty cool, but I miss Lawrence.

A group of whiny crib rats who think the forest service is just itching to keep forests closed as long as possible to satisfy their ego-driven quest to dominate the lives of exactly three people. Today, the forest, tomorrow, THE ATMOSPHERE!
    Is this sarcasm?

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    GIve the leaders the benefit of the doubt
    No

I think the way the current times are affecting all of us, including you (skyrocketing housing prices, closures of lands and businesses, general unpredictability) is shitty and hard and I completely understand wanting things to be the way they were. It's a really high hurdle to face the way undemocratic institutions (like a govt born of white supremacy and the system of private property) limit our freedom while also being unable to deal with the problems we face. It's just the dynamic for the times we live in. I am actually drumnk so that's all I'm going to say for now, except please reach out if you need help, everybuddy. The only alternative to this system is one where we stop competeing (LOL) against each other and work to meet each other's needs.
    +1

Collaboration > competition

a FUCKING men
    ((. The joy I get from skiing...
    .))
    ((. That's worth living for.
    .))

Quote Originally Posted by splitter View Post
    It seems the impasse is the reasoning and origin of the decision. Yet no one is able to determine, without doubt, who made the call at the behest of whom.

Are we able to determine if a figurehead, drunk with power, maliciously removed access or if a collaborative group, including wildfire stakeholders, asked for this as a measure of support?

I appreciate the slippery slope argument and last year’s closures felt unprecedented. This year’s did not. That’s admittedly unnerving.

At the risk of being Pollyannic, I lean towards grace with these unprecedented events.

A healthy dose of skepticism is necessary as well.

But it doesn’t matter where the resources are located along the front; they are still overextended and one could argue that a fire at the opposite geographic pole of the range is as bad, if not worse, for relocating resources.

In the meantime, I propose the Eastern Sierra disassociate from California and Nevada and cultivate its own statehood. It’s already a state of mind.

Of course, then it would lose that (comparatively) posh budget of CalFire.
    I'd settle for our own county--with the eastern parts of Nevada, Placer, and El Dorado, and Alpine. With the tourist dollars we could build a real mass transit system, for starters. I'm tired of Truckee getting screwed by Placer County because by law the Town of Truckee has to stop at the county line. We have no control over development in the Martis Valley--all luxury housing when we desperately need the opposite.

Placer will never let go of it's cash cow of NT/Truckee.

Very stoked SLT escape the brunt of the Caldor. I am still blown away that basically not a single structure in Christmas Valley, Meyers, or SLT was lost. Given how the fire came into town, at the beginning of three days of red flag fire warnings, fkna it's unbelieveable. Massive props to the firefighters, but also good D space work done around Meyers and Xmas Valley. Amazing.

Anyway, came to share this sweet article and great pics by the Angry SingleSpeeder (ASS - Gensheimer) in the Shimano MTB webmag on Truckee area trails, and John Groom's leadership at USFS Truckee Ranger District on trail development --> https://mtb.shimano.com/en-us/discov...es-generation/
    sproing!